Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apple Watch

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I have demoted my Tag Monaco to a going out watch and replaced it with a Apple Watch version. Really impressed so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The interesting mark though is if they get people ditching Omega/Rolex/Tag for them. I had one and just prefer my IWC and Omega so I sold it. Although I'm getting the itch again.

As much as Apple might want the public to think they're competing with high end watches they're not. They know this, they just want people to form an association. The might both tell the time, but they're a completely separate product. They're not mutually exclusive either, you can own both an edition and probably something like a (vomits) hublot. The Apple Watch just isn't going to displace the traditional high end watch market. Patek ain't worried one bit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Guys,

Selling an Apple Watch, what does the seller need to do to ensure its deactivated from their account to allow no hassle for a potential buyer.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

kceire wrote: »
    Guys,

Selling an Apple Watch, what does the seller need to do to ensure its deactivated from their account to allow no hassle for a potential buyer.

Thanks.

Unpair it from your phone. You put your iCloud password in, follow the instructions and it's good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Guys,

Thanks.

Selling so soon?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭I own an applewatch

Harcrid wrote: »
    Selling so soon?

His loss.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Harcrid wrote: »
    Selling so soon?

I haven't worn it!
    I'm on site during the day, so when I get home I don't bother putting any watch on.

I will at some point in the future buy again, as I like the idea of it but at the moment its an expensive alarm clock to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Sort of in the same boat myself. I bought one late last week and I just haven't connected with it. It's a cool little device, and works well but I just don't think its for me right now. I will probably sell it and revisit again in the future. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I did the same. Sold after a week or so. Cool device but did nothing for me apart from telling me when to look at my phone. Again, I wouldn't rule out getting another.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭I own an applewatch

I did the same. Sold after a week or so. Cool device but did nothing for me apart from telling me when to look at my phone. Again, I wouldn't rule out getting another.

So why not just keep it then? I don't get all this selling and then pledging to buy again in the future at higher prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

So why not just keep it then? I don't get all this selling and then pledging to buy again in the future at higher prices.

Maybe they find the v1 insufficient for their needs and are going to get back some of their money to put towards a v2 or v3 at a later date?

If you've tried the v1 and you know it's not for you, it makes sense to sell it ASAP since you'll get back more of your money that way. Alternatively, you might just not be so flush right now and it doesn't make sense to you to have cash tied up in a device you're not that sold on, but you'd feel differently if you had more cash at your disposal in the future.

I see what you're saying about price increases, but it makes sense in some people's situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

What, just keep it in a box? If someone's fed up with the watch they're hardly gonna keep wearing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

flyguy wrote: »

Thanks for posting that article, I read through and took a gamble on two magnetic straps. I've the space grey watch and not a lot of other straps seem to go well with it. Ordered the black magnetic strap from seller lancici1985 branded as GOG. Also purchased a midnight blue magnetic strap for my dad. Well packed, shipped very fast (ordered on 6th via Parcel motel, had them on the 10th). I've previously had the Watch version stainless steel with the midnight magnetic strap and to be honest, can't tell the difference between the third party one and the official one. Perfect connection to the watch, looks great in black, happy customer.

Link - here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I haven't worn it!
    I'm on site during the day, so when I get home I don't bother putting any watch on.

I will at some point in the future buy again, as I like the idea of it but at the moment its an expensive alarm clock to me.

I'm feeling the same. I like it and all, but for what I use it for, I'd just as soon get a Pebble as the battery life is more important than half the features that I never use. I don't use the calendar on the phone much, and I can see the watch being fantastic if you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Tazium wrote: »
    Thanks for posting that article, I read through and took a gamble on two magnetic straps. I've the space grey watch and not a lot of other straps seem to go well with it. Ordered the black magnetic strap from seller lancici1985 branded as GOG. Also purchased a midnight blue magnetic strap for my dad. Well packed, shipped very fast (ordered on 6th via Parcel motel, had them on the 10th). I've previously had the Watch version stainless steel with the midnight magnetic strap and to be honest, can't tell the difference between the third party one and the official one. Perfect connection to the watch, looks great in black, happy customer.

Link - here
    ordered one of these:D

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Turtle-TM

Link - here

How is the fit on these bands? I want to buy one, but would be worried about the fit at point of the watch, and whether the edges of the band would follow the curve at the point it connects to the watch. I loved the leather loop when I had it on my watch, but when I got my current sport I stayed with the rubber strap, which isn't comfortable enough for all day use.

Turtle-TM wrote: »
    How is the fit on these bands? I want to buy one, but would be worried about the fit at point of the watch, and whether the edges of the band would follow the curve at the point it connects to the watch. I loved the leather loop when I had it on my watch, but when I got my current sport I stayed with the rubber strap, which isn't comfortable enough for all day use.

The fit is exact. I'm really pleased with it. I've attached a few pictures to demonstrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Is the magnet grip secure Tazium? Do you need to keep checking it or adjusting it at all ?

OU812 wrote: »
    Is the magnet grip secure Tazium? Do you need to keep checking it or adjusting it at all ?

It's secure. No issues here. I adjust it according to needs, need it tighter in the freezing cold!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Turtle-TM

The fit is exact. I'm really pleased with it. I've attached a few pictures to demonstrate.

That fit looks pretty good!

The only other issue I would have is the sizing. I had the medium Apple leather loop and the end of the strap was fairly close to the watch, maybe 5-7 sections of band away (thanks to having the wrists of an 8 year old girl) so I'd be worried these would be too big, the size seems a bit bigger than the apple ones.

I guess for €25 I can buy it and send it back if the size is bad, I have a real aversion to spending €170 on a piece of leather just because Apple made it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Hi all I'm looking to buy an iwatch and wondering what would be the best and cheapest options/styles? Is it best to buy from the Apple Store? And what exactly do they do? Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Firstly, it's an Apple Watch not iWatch :)

The cheapest version is 429 euro for the 38mm sport. Price is going to be pretty much the same where ever you buy it unless you try and get one 2nd hand or from the US if you know someone over there.

You can take calls, text, log workouts, listen to music with wireless headphones, get notifications from your iPhone apps etc. Might be worth looking at the apple website for more details. Oh and they tell the time.

Wow thanks for that wireless headphones I don't understand that!!!

You can buy headphones that don't plug into a device. They use Bluetooth to transmit the sound to the headphones. The Apple Watch works like this rather than using headphones you would have to plug in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I bought it too from your link and very happy with it.

Are they worth buying? The Apple Watch that is...

You're on the Apple Watch thread where most people have them so we obviously think they are worth it. I'd suggest you do a bit of research on what they do and decide if it's functions would be things you'd actually use and whether you are happy to pay 439 euro or more for that functionality.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

pinkstars wrote: »
    Are they worth buying? The Apple Watch that is...

Not if you're still using an Android phone.

Graham wrote: »
    Not if you're still using an Android phone.

No I have an apple

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

Well I've had an Apple Watch for 8 months at this point. I like it but as to whether it's really worth €429, I'd doubt it. It's well built and I've had 0 hassle machanically since I started to weat it and that includes daily showers, some swimming, using it out and about doing manual work etc. Some people experienced scratching on the Sport models. There are a few small scratches on my screen but I'm not losing sleep over them.

Now, do you need one? No. It's not something you'll never be able to live without again like say a phone is however it is useful. I've been thinking a lot over the time I've owned it about it's usefulness. It's very hard to quantify and the differences it makes to daily life are small. It's the subtledy that really makes it useful.

I now get to see all my notifications, even when working and a quick glance usualy allows me to decide whether I can ignore of take action. When I have my phone charging or left somewhre else in the house I can still take calls and see texts. Incidentally the call taking feature, while useful, is ideally suited to short calls. The speaker isn't the best. The activity monitoring makes me much more conscious of my activity and calorie burn.

At this point I'd miss the watch if I didn't have it. WatchOS2 was a big upgrade in terms of opening up the functionality of the watch though apps need to be snappier loading. Even with native apps you notice a 5 second load time much more ont he watch than you ever will on the phone. It really hasn't achieved that level of immediacy right now. I don't know if that's down to the apps or the hardware or a combination of both.

If I was the OP and I wanted a watch then I'd go for it, I doubt you'll regret it. If you can get a cheap second hand current model then do it but if you're going to hand over €400 odd for a new one then wait a few months to see what Apple are planning to do with the version 2.0 model. There are already talks that the next version is coming in a few months so wait for that if you're paying full price. Not sure what you'll get but maybe a newer processor will make the watch snappier.

Advertisement