Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apple Watch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

Well I've had an Apple Watch for 8 months at this point. I like it but as to whether it's really worth €429, I'd doubt it. It's well built and I've had 0 hassle machanically since I started to weat it and that includes daily showers, some swimming, using it out and about doing manual work etc. Some people experienced scratching on the Sport models. There are a few small scratches on my screen but I'm not losing sleep over them.

Now, do you need one? No. It's not something you'll never be able to live without again like say a phone is however it is useful. I've been thinking a lot over the time I've owned it about it's usefulness. It's very hard to quantify and the differences it makes to daily life are small. It's the subtledy that really makes it useful.

I now get to see all my notifications, even when working and a quick glance usualy allows me to decide whether I can ignore of take action. When I have my phone charging or left somewhre else in the house I can still take calls and see texts. Incidentally the call taking feature, while useful, is ideally suited to short calls. The speaker isn't the best. The activity monitoring makes me much more conscious of my activity and calorie burn.

At this point I'd miss the watch if I didn't have it. WatchOS2 was a big upgrade in terms of opening up the functionality of the watch though apps need to be snappier loading. Even with native apps you notice a 5 second load time much more ont he watch than you ever will on the phone. It really hasn't achieved that level of immediacy right now. I don't know if that's down to the apps or the hardware or a combination of both.

If I was the OP and I wanted a watch then I'd go for it, I doubt you'll regret it. If you can get a cheap second hand current model then do it but if you're going to hand over €400 odd for a new one then wait a few months to see what Apple are planning to do with the version 2.0 model. There are already talks that the next version is coming in a few months so wait for that if you're paying full price. Not sure what you'll get but maybe a newer processor will make the watch snappier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

iPhone 3G was much better than the iPhone.

iPad 2 was much better than the iPad.

I've high hopes for Watch 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

to be honest I only use mine for call alerts,texts and any email notifications..
    I'm so used to it now but I'd be lost without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I'm in that position where I want one now, but not sure what the release plan is for Apple Watch 2 (like everyone I guess). The rumours of an Apple Watch (s) or whatever or just a set of new bands... Who's to know until March..

I'm in that position where I want one now, but not sure what the release plan is for Apple Watch 2 (like everyone I guess). The rumours of an Apple Watch (s) or whatever or just a set of new bands... Who's to know until March..

9to5Mac are reporting that the March event will be for new watch software and new bands, but no new watch hardware. Probably safe enough to buy one now :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Zcott wrote: »
    9to5Mac are reporting that the March event will be for new watch software and new bands, but no new watch hardware. Probably safe enough to buy one now :)

Aren't there a couple of tweaks to the hardware too, like an 's' update for thephones?

Aren't there a couple of tweaks to the hardware too, like an 's' update for thephones?

Not yet:
    The March Apple Watch update is unlikely to include new hardware functionality, but Apple is said to be preparing to formally release the WatchOS 2.2 update, which went into the developer beta stage earlier this month, alongside the new variations. Developer betas have revealed that the new software allows for multiple Apple Watches to be synced to a single iPhone in addition to new functionality in the Maps app. It is likely that Apple has more enhancements for this March update in development. We are told that a full second-generation redesign of the Apple Watch is scheduled to ship in the fall and is currently tracking a September announcement, a possibility TechCrunch recently raised, not this spring.

From http://9to5mac.com/2016/01/22/apple-to-update-apple-watch-in-mid-march-with-new-bands-os-full-redesign-in-fall/ .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Developer betas have revealed that the new software allows for multiple Apple Watches to be synced to a single iPhone in addition to new functionality in the Maps app

I'd have thought it more useful to be able to sync a watch to either an iphone or ipad and easy switch between. Who's going to have more than one watch synced to their phone? You can't wear more than one watch getting all the same info pushed to it, what's the point in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

I'd have thought it more useful to be able to sync a watch to either an iphone or ipad and easy switch between. Who's going to have more than one watch synced to their phone? You can't wear more than one watch getting all the same info pushed to it, what's the point in that?

You might have an Aluminium & a steel one, or a black one & silver one...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Why would someone want two Apple Watches? Same reason why I have an Omega Seamaster, a Braun BN0021, a Mondaine Evo and an Apple Watch. They're pretty and lovely to own.

Also some people I know have a Sport Apple Watch to go swimming with and a Stainless Steel version for everything else. Pain in the activity ring to unpair/pair but they do it because they want to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Why would someone want two Apple Watches? Same reason why I have an Omega Seamaster, a Braun BN0021, a Mondaine Evo and an Apple Watch. They're pretty and lovely to own.

Also some people I know have a Sport Apple Watch to go swimming with and a Stainless Steel version for everything else. Pain in the activity ring to unpair/pair but they do it because they want to.

I don't see that ending well.....
    "Apple Watch is splash and water resistant but not waterproof. You can, for example, wear and use Apple Watch during exercise, in the rain, and while washing your hands. Submerging Apple Watch, however, is not recommended"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Big write up on it here from someone who swims every day with it — http://furbo.org/2015/07/14/a-watch-water-and-workouts/

again I wouldn't be doing it myself but can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Zcott wrote: »
    Probably safe enough to buy one now :)

This is the type f post I like! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

whiterebel wrote: »
    I don't see that ending well.....
    "Apple Watch is splash and water resistant but not waterproof. You can, for example, wear and use Apple Watch during exercise, in the rain, and while washing your hands. Submerging Apple Watch, however, is not recommended"

It's fine. I've swam a number of times with mine and I shower every day with it. The only real trouble you get is water in the speaker which mutes it for an hour or so afterwards but, otherwise, no other issues. I expect if you went diving however it'd be a different story!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I see PC World in the UK have £50 off Apple Watch. This one is £289 which works out at c.€387 compared to €479 on the Irish site. Bargain if you can get to a UK store...

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/smart-tech/smart-tech/smart-watches-and-fitness/smart-watches/apple-watch-42-mm-sports-band-space-grey-black-10138459-pdt.html

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Does anyone have any experience with the "Express" replacement? I applied for it and was sent an email saying the replacement Watch would be here in two days with a courier, and a tracking link that didn't work. They'd take the old one off with them.

Three working days later and no sign I contact Apple. They've just told me that it wasn't sent by courier, but Royal Mail, and it would take 5 working days, not two.

I'm a bit pissed at this now, I could've driven up North and had it replaced but decided against it because it was a hassle and the replacement would only take two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Hey guys
    I'm buys a 2nd hand watch today.... Can someone tell me how I check it for an activation lock or whatever security measures might be in place?
    Am I right in thinking, if I can pair it with my own iPhone on the spot then I'm good to go and can part with the cash?
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Hey guys
    I'm buys a 2nd hand watch today.... Can someone tell me how I check it for an activation lock or whatever security measures might be in place?
    Am I right in thinking, if I can pair it with my own iPhone on the spot then I'm good to go and can part with the cash?
    Thanks in advance.

Yes, that seems reasonable. It's not going to start working and then block you later.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Is it too early to call the Apple Watch a hit or a miss.

I've only every seen one person out and about wearing one and don't hear much talk about them.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Is it too early to call the iPhone a hit or a miss.

I've only every seen one person out and about wearing one and don't hear much talk about them.

The Apple Watch, has over 50% of the wearables market in less than a year.

I've got one, got a couple of after market straps, love it. Got me wearing watches again. Don't go bragging about it though...

• Advertisement

OU812 wrote: »
    The Apple Watch, has over 50% of the wearables market in less than a year.

I've got one, got a couple of after market straps, love it. Got me wearing watches again. Don't go bragging about it though...

How do you know this when Apple have not released any figures and also how big is the market?
    50% of a small market can be nothing.

I don't know anybody who owns one or is considering one so I think a lot needs to be done for these to become mainstream

How do you know this when Apple have not released any figures and also how big is the market?
    50% of a small market can be nothing.

I don't know anybody who owns one or is considering one so I think a lot needs to be done for these to become mainstream

Sorry, my bad, the original article I read said they're aiming for 50% of the wearables market. They haven't got there yet. As it stands they're the number 2 in the market behind fitbit, who are beating them by just under 5% of the market, but they're WAY ahead of everyone else.

See here for Q2 2015 figures. They've probably increased market share since then.

Just because you don't know anyone that owns one doesn't mean they're not mainstream. It probably means people you know aren't interested in them or are unable to afford/not interested in spending as much as they cost on a fitness device. They're pretty mainstream - they sold 3.6 million of them up to Q2 last year...

OU812 wrote: »
    Sorry, my bad, the original article I read said they're aiming for 50% of the wearables market. They haven't got there yet. As it stands they're the number 2 in the market behind fitbit, who are beating them by just under 5% of the market, but they're WAY ahead of everyone else.

See here for Q2 2015 figures. They've probably increased market share since then.

Just because you don't know anyone that owns one doesn't mean they're not mainstream. It probably means people you know aren't interested in them or are unable to afford/not interested in spending as much as they cost on a fitness device. They're pretty mainstream - they sold 3.6 million of them up to Q2 last year...

I think the article is a lot of guess work as Apple have not released any figures and also 3.6m worldwide is not really mainstream,.

Apart from knowing people, I have only seen one person out and about wearing one so I don't think they are as mainstream as you say.

That said it is early days in the product life cycle so it could increase.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Is it too early to call the Apple Watch a hit or a miss.

The research all appears to be fairly consistent:

Strategy Analytics
    The latest data from Strategy Analytics reveals that the Apple Watch remained the most popular smartwatch through the fourth quarter of 2015, capturing 63 percent global market share based on an estimated 5.1 million sales in the three-month period.

Samsung trailed in second place with 16 percent market share and an estimated 1.3 million sales.

Canalys
    Canalys, an independent analyst company, delivered its smartwatch report for 2015, and figures show that Apple not only outclassed its rivals, but its own sales predictions, as well.

According to the report, 12 million smartwatches from Apple reached their buyers during 2015. That is 5 million more than the initial prediction of 7 million Apple Watch units in November 2015. The market analysis company identifies the reason for the surge in demand.

"Cashing in on holiday sales, Apple managed to rack up over 5 million shipments in the fourth quarter," analyst Jason Low says.

The number of smartwatches purchased last year was about 18 million, meaning that Apple got 66 percent of the market with its 12 million sold devices.

Juniper
    Despite a late arrival to the wearables market, Apple claimed the top spot in terms of device sales, according to new research from Juniper out this week, which stated that the Apple Watch accounted for over 50 percent of smartwatch sales in 2015. Even more impressive is the fact Apple’s Watch only launched at the end of April – meaning it claimed the majority of the market with less than a year of sales under its belt.

Meanwhile, rival smartwatch platform Android Wear earned less than 10 percent of sales in 2015, the report said, even though the software now powers watches made by a number of companies, including Huawei, Motorola, Sony, ASUS, LG, Fossil, and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Couple of hours in at this stage.... I'm suitably impressed.
    I'm particularly fond of the live photos moving as they load in as a watch face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

You know that phantom text message thing when you think your phone vibrates in your pocket.... Anyone else get that on their wrist now after wearing the watch for a while? Even when you're not actually wearing it...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

smash wrote: »
    You know that phantom text message thing when you think your phone vibrates in your pocket.... Anyone else get that on their wrist now after wearing the watch for a while? Even when you're not actually wearing it...

Yep. It's so weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Is the Apple Watch, which was announced yesterday, a new watch or are they just lowering the price? I note that the price in the apple online store is still €379. Might be interested in getting one if the price does go down by €100.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It's the same model. The new pricing is already showing on the US apple store, no sign of any change on the Irish store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

€379 for the 38mm is the reduced price. It used to be €429.

Advertisement