Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apple Watch

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

bee06 wrote: »
    €379 for the 38mm is the reduced price. It used to be €429.

Well spotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Is the Apple Watch, which was announced yesterday, a new watch or are they just lowering the price? I note that the price in the apple online store is still €379. Might be interested in getting one if the price does go down by €100.

If you don't want to pay full price just get one on adverts, plenty of nearly new ones for sale for a lot less...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

flyguy wrote: »
    If you don't want to pay full price just get one on adverts, plenty of nearly new ones for sale for a lot less...

Nah, thanks anyway. Prefer just getting from Apple. Adverts is like a rats nest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Paid 260 for a 4 month old 42mm a couple of weeks ago.
    The second hand market is much more economical right now until the release of Apple Watch 2.... That will likely be in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Lads, anyone have to get their screen replaced yet? Dropped mine and Apple want 230 euros

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

yermandan wrote: »
    Lads, anyone have to get their screen replaced yet? Dropped mine and Apple want 230 euros

That's what they charge for any work done to it. The way they're made makes it impossible to replace the screen, or anything else, easily so you'll get a refurbished model.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

So, its big anniversary this year. I want the watch, herself would like to have a look at one first. Bank holiday, so we toddle off to Currys.
    "Nope, none in display, you'll have to go to CompuB in Cork."
    "But you sell them online?"
    "Yes but not instore........".
    Typical mis-information from Currys, we head off to Hardly Normals.....
    "Nope, none in display, you'll have to go to CompuB in Cork."
    "But you sell them online?"
    "Yes but not instore........".

Seriously, how do you expect to sell a watch that no-one can see or try on first, especially with the money they cost? AFAIR, CompuB have one on display. She can't be arsed going all the way into the city centre just to have a look at one, I have had a chance to look up close in the Apple Store in Whitewater, London, where they had about 10 on display. Mad, Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

It's hard to see why anybody would order for delivery from a merchant other than Apple. I wonder how many they sell.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

mackerski wrote: »
    It's hard to see why anybody would order for delivery from a merchant other than Apple. I wonder how many they sell.

I wondered the same. Then they send you in to look at them in a place that would either have them in stock or push you towards ordering from Apple online. I don't see many going from HN to CompuB and then off home to order from HN's website.....

A previous post advising of £50 off in Currys UK is still going too, BTW. May order my one that way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Maybe Apple aren't allowing in-store sales of the watch unless there's someone trained there to facilitate try-ons.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Interested in getting one but the confusion about cost in Ireland vs. international is pissing me off.

I'm just checking online and you can buy a refurb from bestbuy for basic 211 dollars, with the 42mm for ~250 dollars.

Looking at the possibility of using something like bongoUS to re-ship - Has anyone gone down this route? It just seems a bit off to pay so much.

On amazon UK, you can get basic model for about 305 euro. But on compuB they're still, what, 429 euro?

Anyone got any tips for getting the best deal?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Apple recently dropped the price so not everywhere will have updated yet. I advise against getting in the US in case of warranty issues.

Personally if I was getting one I'd get it from Apple who at least acknowledge their obligations under consumer law. A lot of places will shrug their shoulders at you.

Interested in getting one but the confusion about cost in Ireland vs. international is pissing me off.

I'm just checking online and you can buy a refurb from bestbuy for basic 211 dollars, with the 42mm for ~250 dollars.

Looking at the possibility of using something like bongoUS to re-ship - Has anyone gone down this route? It just seems a bit off to pay so much.

On amazon UK, you can get basic model for about 305 euro. But on compuB they're still, what, 429 euro?

Anyone got any tips for getting the best deal?

Back to the age old story buying from the US. Most places in the US will have Sales Tax to add, nearly 10% in NY. In the US they don't have to pay 23% Tax as we do here.

You need to allow for Duty if applicable, 23% VAT and a processing fee (€6-€15) if you ship from the US. And as Sad Prof says , forget any comeback after 12 months. I'm sorely tempted to buy from Amazon UK at €360 plus Parcel Motel, but that kind of money, with no guaranteed comeback after 12 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

I see 2.2 update is out only seen this now have not installed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

wush06 wrote: »
    I see 2.2 update is out only seen this now have not installed it.

Thanks for sharing bro.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Apple recently dropped the price so not everywhere will have updated yet. I advise against getting in the US in case of warranty issues.

Personally if I was getting one I'd get it from Apple who at least acknowledge their obligations under consumer law. A lot of places will shrug their shoulders at you.
    whiterebel wrote: »
    Back to the age old story buying from the US. Most places in the US will have Sales Tax to add, nearly 10% in NY. In the US they don't have to pay 23% Tax as we do here.

You need to allow for Duty if applicable, 23% VAT and a processing fee (€6-€15) if you ship from the US. And as Sad Prof says , forget any comeback after 12 months. I'm sorely tempted to buy from Amazon UK at €360 plus Parcel Motel, but that kind of money, with no guaranteed comeback after 12 months?

Mine arrived!

Is there a resource here for the best apps or is it all hidden away in this thread?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Having issues with Facebook messenger and Apple Watch. It doesn't send notifications to my watch and they show up on my phone as normal. I've tried uninstalling, unpairing, restoring etc etc. It makes no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Anyone looking for 38mm nylon black band. Picked up in Belfast today but never checked the size ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

Hi guys
    Undecided on to get the watch. I've been looking at one second hand. 42mm for 230. What are the main features ? How long should I expect the battery to last?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

skinny90 wrote: »
    Hi guys
    Undecided on to get the watch. I've been looking at one second hand. 42mm for 230. What are the main features ? How long should I expect the battery to last?

The main features are on Apple.com, and the battery will last a full day easily enough.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

whiterebel wrote: »

This always happens though. Apple are masters of stock control.

I wouldn't be buying one now if it was me. There's a 50% chance of getting a refresh at WWDC in June or 100% in September with the iPhone 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

I wouldn't be buying one now if it was me. There's a 50% chance of getting a refresh at WWDC in June or 100% in September with the iPhone 7.

Agreed. There will very likely be an update later in the year. Seems like a bad time to be buying one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

Save your money and get the refresh. There is at least a spec refresh coming. Latest rumors suggest the redesign will happen in 2017 which makes sense to me. The processor could do with a refresh as, honestly, the current watch is a little slow. That may be down to connectivity with the iPhone as well. Native Apps has improved things but IMHO it's still not quite the 'magic watch' that you ask for directions and various other things with an instantaneous response. It's more like Ask Question -> Spinny -> 10...20 secs -> Result. In a lot of cases you'd have gotten your phone out and looked up the answer in that time. Also, while seoncds of waiting time aren't a big deal on the phone, the watch seems to exaggerate that wait time more.

I love my watch. It's a great first run product but it needs to be way snappier. I'd say a spec bump will be a bit difference, then model 3 with a thinner profile and a bigger spec bump. Then things will start to get really interesting. Just look at the original iPad. It and the iPad 2 were like chalk and cheese. I'm hoping for the same evolution here though accepting the Watch 2 will be just a Watch S.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

You'd be crazy to buy now.
    This always happens though. Apple are masters of stock control.

Sales for a second gen product predicted to drop 25%?!?? Certainly doesn't always happen. Sales of iPad 2 were multiples of the first. And you can see why. The iPad was slightly under baked when launched, but it delivered in a number of areas, particularly apps. It made a decent use case for itself in spite of the hardware. The iPad 2 was a far superior machine, refining the experience - honestly they should have held off to make it the launch iPad. The flip side there is what my friend suggests; that they made the 2 far too well.

If the iPad was under baked, the watch is completely half baked. I think it kinda hurt the product categories future potential. The sluggishness can be brutal. Has there been any killer apps yet? Bought a 38mm SS ML for the wife at Christmas and she installed a single app (darkskies, which she never uses). She complains about the UI. She likes it, but wouldn't replace it if it were lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

She likes it, but wouldn't replace it if it were lost.

That's how I feel about mine. I like it, and when I'm not wearing it I feel weird but mostly because I've always worn a watch, so it wasn't a new thing for me. I doubt I'll replace it unless there's a big jump in spec. I annoys me I can only see previews of emails, etc (I don't use the stock app on my phone so it's all 3rd party stuff).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

For me it is literally just a watch with the added function of notifying me of texts and phone calls so I can decide to take my phone out of my pocket or not.
    That's literally it.
    I like it. It's handy to have... If I lost it or broke it, it wouldn't be an automatic "must" replace. I probably would but I could live without it. Especially when I've got a couple of nice watches already that don't get any wear right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

You'd be crazy to buy now.

Sales for a second gen product predicted to drop 25%?!?? Certainly doesn't always happen. Sales of iPad 2 were multiples of the first. And you can see why. The iPad was slightly under baked when launched, but it delivered in a number of areas, particularly apps. It made a decent use case for itself in spite of the hardware. The iPad 2 was a far superior machine, refining the experience - honestly they should have held off to make it the launch iPad. The flip side there is what my friend suggests; that they made the 2 far too well.

If the iPad was under baked, the watch is completely half baked. I think it kinda hurt the product categories future potential. The sluggishness can be brutal. Has there been any killer apps yet? Bought a 38mm SS ML for the wife at Christmas and she installed a single app (darkskies, which she never uses). She complains about the UI. She likes it, but wouldn't replace it if it were lost.

I misread the article, thougth the analyst meant that Apple Watch 1 sales would drop 25% due to the impending release of Apple Watch 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

I think the last few posts summed up how I feel about the watch actually. It's grand. Could be better but if I lost mine, I wouldn't be in a rush to replace it. My next Apple purchase is likely to be a new MacBook Pro whenever they're refreshed. Part of me now is a little sorry I didn't save the watch money to put towards that. Mind you, the watch does serve to constantly remind me I'm a lazy bástard so I think that's good in itself to make me do better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

squonk wrote: »
    I think the last few posts summed up how I feel about the watch actually. It's grand. Could be better but if I lost mine, I wouldn't be in a rush to replace it. My next Apple purchase is likely to be a new MacBook Pro whenever they're refreshed. Part of me now is a little sorry I didn't save the watch money to put towards that. Mind you, the watch does serve to constantly remind me I'm a lazy bástard so I think that's good in itself to make me do better!

This was pretty much the only reason I was slightly interested in the watch. I wanted an inactivity monitor to see what a slug I was. Didn't fancy wearing a fitbit thingy though. The solution for me came from this years CES. The Withings Activite Steel.

I still don't rate the Apple watch's basic design. It just doesn't look right to me. But the Withings has this simple bauhaus aesthetic which I really like. Better still, the watch battery lasts 8 months and it'll monitor walking, running, swimming and your sleep patterns. All through a basic % dial on th watch The app is excellent. And it's only 170 euro.... There's a 400 euro version (sapphire, swiss movement etc and a 150 euro plastic one, which looks terrible value next to the steel) Only downside is that it's gotten me into looking at watches properly. Currently eyeing up a Stowa Antea for myself.

Advertisement