Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apple Watch

Options
1424344454648»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

shanec1928 wrote: »
    just checked and mine is the same ffs
    and its started on the replacement.. looks like its only good for 6 to 7 months or else i just have bad luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

how long is one expected to last? are these now going to become a yearly upgrade also

I'm getting my first iPhone next week and I was thinking about getting one of these watches also
    but if I'm dropping 400+ on a watch I would expect a good few years out of it just like my normal watch I have on my wrist right now

what's the benefit the apple watch has over something like the Pebble Time Smartwatch?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

dunworth1 wrote: »
    how long is one expected to last? are these now going to become a yearly upgrade also

I'm getting my first iPhone next week and I was thinking about getting one of these watches also
    but if I'm dropping 400+ on a watch I would expect a good few years out of it just like my normal watch I have on my wrist right now

what's the benefit the apple watch has over something like the Pebble Time Smartwatch?

I wouldn't recommend it to be honest... by all means get an iPhone. But the watch is a novelty at best. And not worth the price tag.
    The only added functionality that I use over an ordinary watch is that I can ping the iPhone to see where it is... (usually down the side of a car seat or down a sofa cushion) and when a text message comes in I can glance at my wrist and see if it's worth taking my phone out for.
    If mine broke tomorrow I wouldn't bother replacing it. So I couldn't recommend anyone else to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

Honest poster above. I've been trying to dissuade colleagues too. Version one that I have is no more than a medium between me and my phone. The haptic feedback is the best and most consistent usable feature. Raising the wrist to activate is becoming a pain the arse, especially as it's doesn't always activate. Charging every other night is a also bothersome. A decent tracker can be charged quickly, last weeks, track sleep, activity, heart rate and provide notifications - Mi Band 2 jumps to mind (about 30 euro delivered). It's just not worth the hundreds of euro commanded and the feckin' thing scratches too! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭jonny_b

Bought the 48mm today after humming and hawing for quiet a while. Tbh bit disappointed with it but I guess I’ll have to give it time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

jonny_b wrote: »
    Bought the 48mm today after humming and hawing for quiet a while. Tbh bit disappointed with it but I guess I’ll have to give it time.

Disappointed how? Do you feel it lacks a specific feature

• Registered Users Posts: 60,706 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ask Mickey Mouse the time that will cheer you up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I love my watch..This is my third one and after I had sold my previous ones to fund some other purchase I always missed it.
    Before I used it for notifications and responding to texts/emails in the call but now I use it for exercise, monitoring my sleeping patters and heartbeat rate at night etc as I need to look after my health.
    There's no need to upgrade your watch every year.
    In fact those with the original watch while a bit slow for apps can still use it perfectly for the exact same as what I use mine for.
    Any piece of technology no matter how new to market has a limited lifespan. If you can't deal with it buy a g-shock or other normal watch that doesn't rely as much on tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

It’s a bit underwhelming at the start, but see how it works into your life ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I feel I should add balance to some of the opinion pieces above. I've had the Apple Watch for about six months; 42mm Series 2 watch. I moved to the AW not long after the Kickstarter for the Pebble Time 2 went under. I wear mine daily and wouldn't leave home without it. I use Apple Pay on it daily (to the extent that I'd forgotten the pin for my debit card and nearly got locked out of using it). I don't fly often, but I use the wallet for tickets when I do. At the gym I can track my swim, or my run when I'm outside; no need to have a watch in my pocket.
    Tazium above mentioned that the AW is "no more than a medium between me and my phone". That's exactly what my smart watch is used for.

• Advertisement

I love the looks and questions I get when using it to pay for stuff.
    The stafff are just there looking at you wondering if they've been scammed or isn't it amazing how this guy just paid for stuff with his watch. My local supervalue was amazed by it as they had just got in wireless terminals the same previous so even tap to pay was new to them :)
    One person even said to me "you've gotta be joking me" when I was paying for a bag of blocks and kindling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

is there any good app for reminding to drink water?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Loads. Just put ‘drink water’ into the app store.

This was app of the day a few months ago I think - didn’t try it myself as I have a routine (cup of water with every cup of coffee!):

Waterlogged - Daily Hydration Tracker by Day Logger, Inc.
    https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/waterlogged-daily-hydration-tracker/id352199775?mt=8

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Tbh bit disappointed with it but I guess I’ll have to give it time.

Not sure if the pun was intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

....bought a 42mm Stainless watch edition for the price of a Fitbit from CEX last Saturday!......setup Apple Pay,MyFitnessPal,Strava & nest day 1.....great little heart rate monitor & calorie counter,.......constantly closing my rings ever sinceðŸ‘ðŸ»ðŸ˜‚😂

Out of curiosity, what has everybody got set for the daily move goal. Mine will go up and down but usually steadies out after a while. It’s been at 480 for the past couple of weeks. I don’t hit it every day but usually will 5 and come close enough over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

DubDJ wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what has everybody got set for the daily move goal. Mine will go up and down but usually steadies out after a while. It’s been at 480 for the past couple of weeks. I don’t hit it every day but usually will 5 and come close enough over the weekend.

Move 1000
    Stand 12hrs
    Excersise 30 min

Generally hit all 3 during the working week,although missed the move target on Saturday & sometimes need a gym class to complete by late evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Move is 1000/ 1150. Depends on the week
    Stand 30mins
    Exercise is 30

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

I must truly be a fat backstard - 310!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

How does the watch know you’re standing

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    How does the watch know you’re standing
    My heart rate drops, due to being unfit!

Serious answer: I think it recognises the motion of standing up & sitting down

the series 3 watch now has a barometer in it so it can track elevation as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,706 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It doesn't track elevation very well to be honest.

I do a lot of stair running and it picks up about half the stairs I run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Blazer wrote: »
    the series 3 watch now has a barometer in it so it can track elevation as well.

Well that’s not going to detect standing. Probably can’t differentiate stairs from escalators either.

I think the stand is just detected by movement really. Especially with the older models that don’t include the barometer.

Even if you’re lazy you can just shake your arm a bit as if you were walking and it will register as compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

I think the stand is just detected by movement really. Especially with the older models that don’t include the barometer.

Even if you’re lazy you can just shake your arm a bit as if you were walking and it will register as compete.

The stand register on the older models is terrible. I've been standing plenty of times for work or making food, sometimes for ten or twenty minutes, only to get the notification to stand as soon as I sit down—!

It is also easily gotten around by shaking your arm, which I have done many times in the scenario above because that's incredibly annoying. Raise to wake doesn't work 100% of the time, either, and there are a couple of changes in wOS4 I find really annoying.

I still wouldn't be without it. Being able to see who emails/texts are from without having to get my phone out and knowing I won't miss anything is priceless to me.

Advertisement