Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apple Watch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I wonder why some 42mm space greys are getting May deliveries and others are June? Doesn't seem to be related to the time of ordering either.

People using Parcel Motel - did you put your correct Irish billing address down? I did, because wouldn't the transactions fail when they check the billing address with your bank and they don't match? I'm assuming Apple don't have a problem with a non-UK billing address as long as delivery is UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Branoic wrote: »
    People using Parcel Motel - did you put your correct Irish billing address down? I did, because wouldn't the transactions fail when they check the billing address with your bank and they don't match? I'm assuming Apple don't have a problem with a non-UK billing address as long as delivery is UK?

They don't mind as long as the delivery address is UK, there is somewhere on the website that says if you want to buy a gift for someone in another country use the site from that country so all above board!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

I used my standard Irish Apple billing address. It's linked to your Apple ID so you'll see it by default.

As for the June thing, I'm pretty sure that's just the default shipping month now. I was a bit behind the curve when ordering by the time I'd put in my PM details. I then went off and had breakfast and I checked when I came back and the shipping had started to say June for new orders. It's been June ever since. It does look like supply and demand. For instance, all the Sport models are June but if you choose an Apple Watch with Milanese Loop then that's 4-6 weeks, so May sometime. I'd imagine as it's a first iteration many are going for the cheaper models both out of an ecconomic concern and the fact that it's better buying the cheapo model 1 and then spending more for the Apple Watch model of choice in a few years once we see how the line develops.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Amazed how many are actually going for this.

I like Apple stuff , have iPhone and iPad, but don't get the watch and all the reviews I have read and viewed have been mixed to say the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

Ordered via PM too. Thought I'd be able to reserve+collect on the day so that was disappointing. Then I tried to fluff the delivery to Dublin, got worried I wouldn't get it and went through PM registration for my first ever PM delivery. Reordered, sound & same delivery schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,549 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

murpho999 wrote: »

I like Apple stuff , have iPhone and iPad, but don't get the watch and all the reviews I have read and viewed have been mixed to say the best.

Same here, 3 iMac's, 2 MacBooks, iPad, 3 iPods, 4 iPhones, Apple TV, Time Capsule, Airport Express and I've loved them all.

iWatch? thanks but no thanks, think I'll stick with the Tag Heuer (which in 10 years it will still look the shizz, and probably still be worth 80-90% of its original value, how many batteries will the iWatch go through in that time, and going by previous Apple experience, battery replacement €50-€70 a go!).

Same here, 3 iMac's, 2 MacBooks, iPad, 3 iPods, 4 iPhones, Apple TV, Time Capsule, Airport Express and I've loved them all.

iWatch? thanks but no thanks, think I'll stick with the Tag Heuer (which in 10 years it will still look the shizz, and probably still be worth 80-90% of its original value, how many batteries will the iWatch go through in that time, and going by previous Apple experience, battery replacement €50-€70 a go!).

Comparing the Apple Watch to a conventional watch is kinda missing the entire point. You don't seriously think anyone who is getting an Apple Watch will still be using a 1st gen model in 10 years time do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Exact same here.

I just hope Apple will not start introducing feature which could work on the phone only exclusively for Watch owners in order to push sales.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Exact same here.

I just hope Apple will not start introducing feature which could work on the phone only exclusively for Watch owners in order to push sales.

Yes, they might take the clock app off the iPhone.....you heard it here first!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Yes, they might take the clock app off the iPhone.....you heard it here first!:)

Nooooooo!!!!!

Oh, I have a watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Reading the time is one of the problems initial reviewers have been having with the Apple Watch which is kind of ironic.

The screen sleeps to preserve power I presume and sometimes needs an exaggerated shake of the wrist to get it to show the time.

Yes then I would have to jump-in and get the Watch!

But I was more thinking, something like Apple Pay could have been Watch only if it had been launched one year later.

You don't seriously think anyone who is getting an Apple Watch will still be using a 1st gen model in 10 years time do you?

of course not, in that 10 years, the Apple Watch owners will have bought at least 5 watches (assuming Apple's update cycle is 2 years). Thats a lot of cash in anyones language!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

I get the people on here saying "Why bother?". That was my thought when the announcement was made initially.

FWIW I'm getting mine out of sheer curiosity. It'll be probably the only iOS device so far that I'll wear til it falls to bits. I won't be doing the 2 year upgrade cycle with it for sure. I'd hope I'd knock 5-6 years out of it. Personally I'm hoping the upgrade cycles will be less frequent than every 2 years. I don't want to arrive at a point where, after installing Watch OS 3, my previously snappy watch suddenly becomes sluggish. If they do that then I'm out entierely.

After all, it's a satelite device that relays messages and gathers biometric data. Short of adding new sensors and better battery life, it can't improve all that much in the medium term.

My main curiosity is the fact that it's an entirely new segment (for me) and the first time that the smart watch appears to have been done right. It'll benefit me in small ways that won't make earth shattering inroads in my life but I want to see if it becomes a 'can't live without' item like my iPhone or iPad currently are. I'm doing the early adopter thing for once and guinea pigging myself. That'll be fun all by itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

What's the story with the OS on this? Is it upgradeable?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

of course not, in that 10 years, the Apple Watch owners will have bought at least 5 watches (assuming Apple's update cycle is 2 years). Thats a lot of cash in anyones language!

In 10 years time you could well find people will look at the likes of Tag, Rolex that costs hundreds/thousands and not be able to understand why anyone would spend that kind of money on a device that can only tell the time. Especially when you can buy such time-telling-only devices for €20.

Come to think of it, there's already plenty of people that can't understand anyone paying a very large premium for a mechanical timepiece just because it has a particular brand name associated with it.

I'll probably be getting an Apple Watch for much the same reasons as Squonk. I doubt I'll go and post on the Watches & Timepieces forum justifying my decision to not buy a Tag/Rolex though, I probably won't even express surprise at the number of people that still do decide to buy expensive mechanical timepieces either.

I guess it's nice that we have the choice.

Absolutely, but that's a seperate issue to comparing battery life and the retained value of a smart watch after 10 years to that of a traditional watch.

I just think its utterly pointless to try to compare a smart watch, any smart watch, to a traditional watch. Despite the fact that they both have "watch" in their names, they're completely different devices with different purposes.

And in terms of smart watches, the vast majority of reviews for the Apple Watch seem to say that it is the best smart watch available in the world today, but on the other hand you don't need one, and reviewers still aren't sure of the purpose of a smart watch. Which is pretty much how the first iPad reviews read too. To be honest, for me, I'm happy even if the sole reason ends up being "because technology!" but I'm sure it'll be more than that. I love new stuff like this, and I love getting in on the first gen. I usually skip every second gen after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

What's the story with the OS on this? Is it upgradeable?

Probably, and it'll be OTA via your iPhone.

I just think its utterly pointless to try to compare a smart watch, any smart watch, to a traditional watch.

I was never comparing the 2, simply pointing out that I would prefer to wear the more traditional technology on my wrist.

Looking at the prices though, they are truly shocking!
    If I was getting one, I'd want the Watch (not the sport, certainly not the edition)

38mm SS case with sport band - £479 (the cheapest of this style)
    38mm SS case with link bracelet (the one I'd want) - £819

thats an extra £340 (~€470) more just to get a nicer strap!! :eek::eek::eek:

I know the Apple Watch is about style as well as function, but it looks like if you want more style, you have to pay a lot lot more for it.

• Advertisement

I know the Apple Watch is about style as well as function, but it looks like if you want more style, you have to pay a lot lot more for it.

Isn't that the way with most timepieces? There comes a point fairly low in the pricing ranges where any additional spend isn't getting you any additional functionality, it's just getting you a 'nicer' watch.

Obviously 'nicer' is open to individual interpretation.

Graham wrote: »
    Isn't that the way with most timepieces? There comes a point fairly low in the pricing ranges where any additional spend isn't getting you any additional functionality, it's just getting you a 'nicer' watch.

Obviously 'nicer' is open to individual interpretation.

yeah, but the 2 watches I quoted above are identical in every way except for the strap that comes with them.

your being asked to pay almost 75% more for the same watch with a different strap, thats just a con.

At least with other Apple products, your paying more and getting more memory/RAM/screen size, and still your paying only 10-20% extra for each higher spec'd iteration.

yeah, but the 2 watches I quoted above are identical in every way except for the strap that comes with them.

your being asked to pay almost 75% more for the same watch with a different strap, thats just a con.

At least with other Apple products, your paying more and getting more memory/RAM/screen size, and still your paying only 10-20% extra for each higher spec'd iteration.

But Apple have consciously targetted the Apple Watch as a fashion item as well as a technology item. It's come as no surprise that the higher priced items are only superficially different.

It's been pointed out multiple times that the difference between a £20,000 Gold Rolex and a £5,000 stainless steel one isn't £15,000 worth of gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Yes, I have to agree. The price of the straps is ridiculous however my major reasons for not buying the 1st iteration is that it is not waterproof and cannot make and receive calls independently. The first watch to do so and work with apple devices, I will buy.

galljga1 wrote: »
    Yes, I have to agree. The price of the straps is ridiculous however my major reasons for not buying the 1st iteration is that it is not waterproof and cannot make and receive calls independently. The first watch to do so and work with apple devices, I will buy.

Some of the straps aren't cheap, there's no arguing with that. At the same time the strap range deliberately goes from Swatch pricing to Tag. Here's a replacement leather strap for a TAG Heuer Carrera, it's a shade under €270. Is there really €270 worth of leather in that strap? Of course not, it's expensive because it's for a designer watch.

The point of the range of watches and straps is to address as broad a price/market range as possible. Budget conscious buyers will go for a Sports Watch with a rubbery strap, bling merchants will be flashing their rose gold models.

For people wondering if you can get an Apple Watch with Parcel Motel, PM are now actually advertising it. Just got an email from them saying: "Order your Apple Watch today with your Parcel Motel UK Delivery Address".

They must be expecting a lot of business I guess ... I don't remember them sending that kind of email about any other product.

Graham wrote: »
    Some of the straps aren't cheap, there's no arguing with that. At the same time the strap range deliberately goes from Swatch pricing to Tag. Here's a replacement leather strap for a TAG Heuer Carrera, it's a shade under €270. Is there really €270 worth of leather in that strap? Of course not, it's expensive because it's for a designer watch.

The point of the range of watches and straps is to address as broad a price/market range as possible. Budget conscious buyers will go for a Sports Watch with a rubbery strap, bling merchants will be flashing their rose gold models.

Won't the market soon be flooded with 3rd party straps?

Definitely, there are huge profits to be made. It's like iPhone cases: very cheap and relatively easy to make, but because it is associated to a fairly expensive item people will be willing to be quite a lot for it compared to the manufacturing cost (many iPhone plastic cases cost more than a complete Nokia feature phone).

Maybe one question is whether or not Apple will be supporting that and letting Apple Stores and authorized resellers sell non Apple straps.

I have absolutely no doubt it will:

http://9to5mac.com/2015/03/10/apple-watch-third-party-bands/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

galljga1 wrote: »

I didn't even realise it's not waterproof, can't wait to hear the horror stories :pac:

Advertisement