Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apple Watch

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I didn't even realise it's not waterproof, can't wait to hear the horror stories :pac:

I think the only waterproof smartwatch is the Sony Smartwatch 3, all of the others are water resistant (including the Apple Watch).

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

Apple just cancelled my PM order stating they no longer ship to freight forwarders. :mad:

Tazium wrote: »
    Apple just cancelled my PM order stating they no longer ship to freight forwarders. :mad:

Ohhhhh, that's new. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Graham wrote: »

Yeah - curious to get reports from other people (and if this is the general rule, PM will regret sending out these emails encouraging people to but the watch - they will have to manage a few unhappy customers).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,713 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Cancelled.

The irony of Parcel Motel sending the email inviting you to use them for the Apple Watch 10 mins before hand.

• Advertisement

Tazium wrote: »

Had you ordered from Apple via PM before Tazium?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

I just received this from PM
    Hi xxxx,
    The Apple Watch is now available for pre-order in the UK meaning that you can use your Parcel Motel UK delivery address to get the latest ground breaking device long before it is available here in Ireland.

Simply visit the Apple UK Store and you can select from the 20 available models today.

Your UK Delivery Address

Your Name
    Your PMID
    1A McKinney Road
    Newtownabbey
    Co. Antim
    BT36 4PE

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭jarain

Just got the same mail canceling my order! Within a minute of the Parcel Mail encouraging delivery to them. I had words Parcel Motel in the address I wonder that that influence the cancellation. I wonder if people just had the pm id in the address did it get cancelled too.

Looking at Twitter it looks like there's a few orders being cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Me too...ah well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭jarain

Delivery date is now June if you were to try to re-order.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

Just had my order cancelled as well. Quite disapppointed. What's worse ParcelMotel sent their mail at 14:47 and at 14:53 Apple's mail came in. I'm not impressed. I reckon they've done it to scupper overseas customers leaving a bigger pool of product for their launch countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

so with no in store pick-up options that appears to be it then, unless you have friends / relatives in the UK? Bummer. I wonder if we'll see it in Ireland in 2015 at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Apple's email is a little bit cheeky. They say that if you wish to re-order, they give you an irish telephone number to call, or direct you to the Irish version of the Apple Store. Rubbing salt in the wound.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,549 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It just goes to show, that despite routing a large chunk of their revenue & profits through Ireland, we are still a little minnow when it comes to Apple product releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Could be a blessing in disguise, bottled ordering it, Sony or Samsung will trump it in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

I think the only waterproof smartwatch is the Sony Smartwatch 3, all of the others are water resistant (including the Apple Watch).

Yeah, sony is the first watch by a major company (that I know of) to release a waterproof watch and I think there are limitations to what exactly 'waterproof' means. I came across another by a company that I never heard of.

My watch is waterproof. I have worn my watch in the shower, pool and bath by accident, not on purpose. Water resistant does not cut it with me for a watch as I know I will end up destroying it as will countless thousands of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Branoic wrote: »
    Comparing the Apple Watch to a conventional watch is kinda missing the entire point. You don't seriously think anyone who is getting an Apple Watch will still be using a 1st gen model in 10 years time do you?

No. They'll be shelling out even more cash next year. For a 'better' one.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Mine's cancelled as well. I've also seen Austrians who tried to ship from Germany having the same problem. Hopefully they won't take too long for the second wave of countries.

endacl wrote: »
    No. They'll be shelling out even more cash next year. For a 'better' one.

:)

Probably.

It's just lucky that Apple products have a resale value or should that be second-hand value :-)

Imagine trying to offload a Moto 360 when Argos dump their remaindered stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Maybe it is a temporary measure to crack down on scalpers. With only online (credit card) in country orders and no direct purchases at the Apple Store, it will definitely make their lives harder.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Maybe it is a temporary measure to crack down on scalpers. With only online (credit card) in country orders and no direct purchases at the Apple Store, it will definitely make their lives harder.

Very good point Bob24, looks like they're going all out to stop the scalpers this time around.

Is there a definitive 'won't be available in the Apple stores' quote anywhere, everything I've read just indicates it will be easier to order online.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It just goes to show, that despite routing a large chunk of their revenue & profits through Ireland, we are still a little minnow when it comes to Apple product releases.

Don't see the relevance to be honest. One is a financial arrangement and the other is logistics. Totally unrelated.

For years they manufactured iPhones in China but didn't sell them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Clem H Fandango

Managed to change the delivery address to a friend in London.
    Hope it still doesn't get cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

when people were ordering what did you's stick down as a post code for the billing address? same as the one you're shipping to?

feel bad for all you PM people, but on the upside maybe I'll get bumped up from the 4-6 weeks time frame.

Pissed off now to be honest. Our money is as good as anyone elses. I'll be in London in July so I can pick one up then but it's definitely annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I was never comparing the 2, simply pointing out that I would prefer to wear the more traditional technology on my wrist.

Looking at the prices though, they are truly shocking!
    If I was getting one, I'd want the Watch (not the sport, certainly not the edition)

38mm SS case with sport band - £479 (the cheapest of this style)
    38mm SS case with link bracelet (the one I'd want) - £819

thats an extra £340 (~€470) more just to get a nicer strap!! :eek::eek::eek:

I know the Apple Watch is about style as well as function, but it looks like if you want more style, you have to pay a lot lot more for it.

£340 for a stainless steel strap (at least at the higher end of the watch world) is pretty reasonable.

Any current rolex, breitling or IWC strap will go for £1250 - £2000

Out of interest actually, did everyone using Parcel Motel go with standard postal delivery? I noticed there's a Courier option as well. I suspect that the Apple policy of not delivering to intermediary handlers is just that but wonder if the courier option made a difference? Anyone used that and still have an active order?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

galljga1 wrote: »
    Yeah, sony is the first watch by a major company (that I know of) to release a waterproof watch and I think there are limitations to what exactly 'waterproof' means. I came across another by a company that I never heard of.

My watch is waterproof. I have worn my watch in the shower, pool and bath by accident, not on purpose. Water resistant does not cut it with me for a watch as I know I will end up destroying it as will countless thousands of others.

Does your watch have a microphone?

• Advertisement

Just reading around, it looks like it's time to play nice and get reacquainted with your family and friends in the UK. According to this, Angela Arhends has mentioned that all new product launches now will be online purchase only. for the UK, the Apple Watch will be store demo only and, on getting a demo and choosing your watch, you will be assisted in placing an order via online for delivery to your home. So, seeing as Apple now won't ship to mail forwarders an they won't let you buy at a store directly, you're kind of screwed if you want a watch straight away. By the sounds of things, they won't be launching in this part of the world soon either.

Advertisement