Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apple Watch

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

squonk wrote: »
    they won't let you buy at a store directly

I still haven't found a definitive 'you can't buy in store' anywhere*. Everything just suggests online purchase should be encouraged.

*excluding business insider which is akin to pulling random buzzwords and clickbait from a luckybag.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

Yeah, it seems the lead time before regular store avaiability is indeterminate. It's a pain now that things aren't more clear. We don't know how long before we'll be able to buy in store, or when we can buy for instore pickup and we don't know when we'll be able to order in IE either. Instead of making things better, Angela Ahrendts seems to have made thing worse. I'd rather popping into stores and fancying my chances tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Graham wrote: »
    I still haven't found a definitive 'you can't buy in store' anywhere*. Everything just suggests online purchase should be encouraged.

*excluding business insider which is akin to pulling random buzzwords and clickbait from a luckybag.

You will be able to when production catches up with demand but not with the initial batch.

I was going to use PM but I'm heading to South Carolina in May so I got it shipped to my hotel instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I e-mailed PM about it today and they responded below. Strange decision from Apple in my opinion.
    Thanks for your inquiry.
    Unfortunately, Apple have decided they will no longer deliver to Parcel Motel. We apologise for any inconvenience caused and we hope you will understand that this is completely beyond our control. Your Parcel Motel UK delivery address will still be accepted for the vast majority of online retailers and we will let you know if Apple change their decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

murpho999 wrote: »
    Strange decision from Apple in my opinion.

On top of potentially be making things easier for some scalpers, I think it might also have been giving them logistics and support issues.

I once had an iPhone 5 delivered to Parcel Motel and I came with scuffs out of the box (remember "scuffgate"? :-)).

I called Apple and asked for a replacement, and originally they could only collect it back from a UK address (which is fair enough since I ordered from the UK store).

The CSR was nice enough and said he would call me back, and the next day someone from their logistics team call to have collection arranged in Dublin - and a new phone delivered to my Dublin address .

I am glad they did that, but I accept it is not ideal for them: either they had to make an exception to their policy (which was clear from the start and not especially sneaky) or leave me an unhappy customer.

Maybe they don't want to have to make that choice anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Rightly peed off now, I thought I bought the watch for my wife's birthday this morning then received the email from Apple about my orders being cancelled.we really need an Apple Store in the Republic now more than ever it's beyond a joke at this stage.went on online there to the USA site there saying June before it ships will be over there may and no option to collect in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I still don't understand why anyone would buy an Apple watch over the superior Pebble Steel. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I e-mailed PM about it today and they responded below. Strange decision from Apple in my opinion.

Strange indeed,given I got this email today from Parcel Motel

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-10%20at%2020.11.02_zpsyxvtprah.png

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

This release is an absolute shambles. In addition to the PM cancellation problem, people on MacRumors are complaining that their multiple orders are being cancelled as well. Like with the forwarding restriction, they were given no indication upon ordering that multiple purchases would be a problem. So far, for big, ugly issues we have:

- No availability to purchase in-store on release day
    - App going live for sales 5-10 mins before website
    - Pickup option unavailable without prior notice
    - Forwarding service orders cancelled without prior notice
    - Multiple orders cancelled without prior notice

I have always been a big supporter of Apple, but this has just been handled so badly that I'm aghast. I understand that they're trying to curb scalping, but this is not the way to go about it-- I am certain that a huge amount of legitimate, end-user customers have been negatively affected by this. Apparently people calling to complain about their multiple orders being cancelled are getting free chargers; I wonder if there will be any compensation for those whose orders were cancelled owing to using a forwarding service?

Not that anyone wants compensation. What they want is the damn product that they ordered!

I feel very sorry for Parcel Motel who are fielding an absolute storm over this decision which Apple made today-- without telling them in advance, of course. Surely if an address is going to be banned from use, it would be only reasonable to inform the holder of that address beforehand?

I wonder if they're doing this because demand dramatically outstripped supply? Maybe they're having problems with production and this is the only way they can try to ensure the majority of orders (uncancelled orders, obviously) don't come three months late?

I'm absolutely livid over this. I was so pleased this morning when I thought I'd been able to get my order through, so to come home and find that email waiting for me was such a disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

DivingDuck wrote: »
    This release is an absolute shambles.

I'm absolutely livid over this.

Overreact much?

Life has gone on prior to the watch, and life will continue to go on without it. You'll get your watch eventually, don't worry.

How exactly are Apple making a shambles of this?
    The watch has not yet been released for preorder/ sale in Ireland, what part of that are the people in here not understanding?
    People tried to circumvent Apples sales policy, and Apple put a stop to it. This is a shambles how?
    It might seem like a shambles to you because you placed an order which was subsequently voided by Apple for not complying with their policy, but alas, the world still turns, they will eventually be available in Ireland.
    Do you really need to have one so soon??

You'd swear it was a cure for cancer they were selling by some of the reactions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I still don't understand why anyone would buy an Apple watch over the superior Pebble Steel. :confused:

You're the first person to suggest any such superiority. Care to elaborate (and battery life won't cut it, unless my Casio is an even better smartwatch).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

First thing I noticed on Apples site was no PO Box numbers, so PM was off the postal list immediately. It wasn't rocket science if you have an alternative UK address

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

wtlltw wrote: »
    First thing I noticed on Apples site was no PO Box numbers, so PM was off the postal list immediately. It wasn't rocket science if you have an alternative UK address

I guess PM didn't even notice that then..

A shambles yes, but not Apples shambles.

This release is an absolute shambles.....

Wow.....poor you. Absolutely livid that you can' get a product that is not available here yet.

Why would you be entitled to compensation for Apple not accepting your order? No contract has been formed?

Just like a buyer has the right to withdraw, so has the seller.

Also, Parcel Motel are not fielding any storm they just won't get any deliveries from Apple.

I think you should give Joe Duffy a ring about this on Monday and he'll ring Tim Cook for you.

wtlltw wrote: »

There is no PO Box number in PM's address so I don''t know what you mean.

Your PMID number is in it but that is not a PM number.

I'd say Apple systems just blocked their address as was selected multiple times after PM sent their e-mail.

So only Apple is to blame in any way for changing their policy.

Wow.....poor you. Absolutely livid that you can' get a product that is not available here yet.

Why would you be entitled to compensation for Apple not accepting your order? No contract has been formed?

Just like a buyer has the right to withdraw, so has the seller.

Also, Parcel Motel are not fielding any storm they just won't get any deliveries from Apple.

I think you should give Joe Duffy a ring about this on Monday and he'll ring Tim Cook for you.

I have no interest in, or use for, compensation of any kind. I was merely making the point that some people whose orders were cancelled because they had ordered "too many" watches were offered compensation, valid contract or otherwise, and wondered if the same would be extended to those whose orders were cancelled because of the Parcel Motel issue.

My belief that Parcel Motel are receiving complaints is fact, as their responses to those complaints are visible on social media.

I have no interest in, or use for, compensation of any kind. I was merely making the point that some people whose orders were cancelled because they had ordered "too many" watches were offered compensation, valid contract or otherwise, and wondered if the same would be extended to those whose orders were cancelled because of the Parcel Motel issue.

My belief that Parcel Motel are receiving complaints is fact, as their responses to those complaints are visible on social media.

I have checked PM's Facebook and twitter feeds and see no mention of it.

I have checked PM's Facebook and twitter feeds and see no mention of it.

They only show under "Tweets & Replies" on Twitter; I don't know about Facebook, as I don't use it.

It seems they've chosen not to make an official statement at this time, and are responding only to individuals who contact them personally.

They only show under "Tweets & Replies" on Twitter; I don't know about Facebook, as I don't use it.

It seems they've chosen not to make an official statement at this time, and are responding only to individuals who contact them personally.

Fair enough....didn't see that. Totally not PM's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

mackerski wrote: »
    You're the first person to suggest any such superiority. Care to elaborate (and battery life won't cut it, unless my Casio is an even better smartwatch).

Multi-reviews site The Wirecutter agrees with me.
    • Compatible with iOS & Android - uses an opt-in setting for apps
    • Waterproof (40m)
    • 5-day battery

Also found this paragraph interesting:
    (re: Apple Watch)
    Apart from battery life, many of the complaints reviewers have about the Apple Watch are things that we’ve seen with most smartwatches we’ve tested: too many notifications, having to tweak lots of configuration settings to get the device to work the way you want, an inability to use it one-handed, and the general feeling that a smartwatch is just adding one more way for your digital life to intrude.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Multi-reviews site The Wirecutter agrees with me.
    • Compatible with iOS & Android - uses an opt-in setting for apps
    • Waterproof (40m)
    • 5-day battery

Also found this paragraph interesting:

dont feed the trolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭jarain

Just got a phone call from Apple saying they are resinstating my pre order!

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

jarain wrote: »

Me too! 😀 that's interesting right? Not enough orders perhaps. All good anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭wolfi

Guys, do you know was it Apple UK or Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

jarain wrote: »

Me too this is crazy but happy to get what I ordered

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

It was Apple from Cork (021). Very odd but whatever works. :-)

Just missed a call from them on the Cork number. Called back, but all you get is a "You have missed a call from Apple" message. Hope not picking up won't mean my order isn't eligible for reinstatement...

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭moralproduction

Anyone that ordered expect a call, they said they are reinstating all orders 😄😄

Just went to the order page link in my original order (which would not work at the time) and it's showing as Processing. That's a good sign, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭wolfi

Just take call, looks like we will get our gizmo quicker...

Advertisement