Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apple Watch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭moralproduction

DivingDuck wrote: »
    Just went to the order page link in my original order (which would not work at the time) and it's showing as Processing. That's a good sign, right?

Yep, all orders being reinstated, Very Very surprised they changed their mind on this decision, very happy too though

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭jarain

wolfi wrote: »
    Guys, do you know was it Apple UK or Irish?

Apple Ireland, was called from an 021 number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

That would explain why there was no improvement on lead times last night after all the orders were rejected. You'd imagine that if all multiple and PM orders had been rejected, the stock would have been returned to the system, so the lead time would consequently have improved owing to the few thousand units put back into circulation.

I won't believe it until I have the box in my hands, but it would be lovely if this were to work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Fair play to Apple Ireland since it's not officially on sale here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Still no call for me yet :-(

All of you that got calls, did you use your regular Apple ID on the UK store to order, or did you order as a guest? I went through as a guest....wonder if that'll act against me now?

• Advertisement

yep i just got the call too, very happy, fair play to who every sorted this, very happy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭jarain

Branoic wrote: »
    Still no call for me yet :-(

All of you that got calls, did you use your regular Apple ID on the UK store to order, or did you order as a guest? I went through as a guest....wonder if that'll act against me now?

Used my regular id.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I wonder is it open for new orders using PM or are they just re-instating the ones already made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Just got the call there on an 021 number happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Multi-reviews site The Wirecutter agrees with me.
    • Compatible with iOS & Android - uses an opt-in setting for apps
    • Waterproof (40m)
    • 5-day battery

Also found this paragraph interesting:
    (re: Apple Watch)
    Apart from battery life, many of the complaints reviewers have about the Apple Watch are things that we’ve seen with most smartwatches we’ve tested: too many notifications, having to tweak lots of configuration settings to get the device to work the way you want, an inability to use it one-handed, and the general feeling that a smartwatch is just adding one more way for your digital life to intrude.

Playing devil's advocate here and going to keep this generic as I don't want to start a flame war.

1. battery life, sure that's fair cop, but it's currently only the pebble that has substantially better battery life and they achieve that with a sub par screen (e-ink has it's uses but compared to full colour of the moto 270, apple watch, lg g watch r etc. it's sub par).

2. Too many notifications is a ****e complaint, it's not any watches fault that it shows too many notifications, you are in control of what notifies you. you can turn them off or on. if any watch came with an opt-in scenario you'd get no notifications and wouldn't be getting the full experience. If anything this makes you aware of how many apps you do give notifications to, and how many of them are actually important.

3. one-handed use, of course. only mechanical watches can be used one handed and they usually have one function (time/date telling). smart watches do so much more and you interact in a multitude of ways; voice, location awareness (beacons), touch, force, crown, buttons. unless you've got the reflexes of a Russian gymnast one handed use is out of the question and a bit obvious.

4. a smart watch will only intrude if you allow it to. you're in control.

• Advertisement

I wonder is it open for new orders using PM or are they just re-instating the ones already made.

i reordered with an NI address and i got a june date lat night- i was very annoyed

the date of the order i had was for 2 weeks time, its now back still with the 2 weeks date- happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I gave my landline number that I don't have access to. If they can't make contact are they going to reinstate the order anyway?

FourFourFM wrote: »
    I gave my landline number that I don't have access to. If they can't make contact are they going to reinstate the order anyway?

Ye you should be ok, seem to be automatically reinstating them and calling as a courtesy

bookalon wrote: »

Beautiful thanks. Are we pushed down the line or the original shipping dates? Mine was 12-26th May.

Beautiful thanks. Are we pushed down the line or the original shipping dates? Mine was 12-26th May.

the date i had was for 2 weeks time, i still have it, i was not pushed

bookalon wrote: »
    the date i had was for 2 weeks time, i still have it, i was not pushed

Just logged in. Still cancelled

I asked would all cancelled orders be reinstated with original shipping dates and was told yes

Just logged in. Still cancelled

Hopefully they just haven't got to your order yet

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Fair play to Apple Ireland since it's not officially on sale here.

I think the sales for Apple Europe are handled in Cork, at least they used to be.

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    I think the sales for Apple Europe are handled in Cork, at least they used to be.

European headquarters in cork afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Jhaj

Got the call too! :)

Have any of you ordered the apple watch in both sizes (42mm & 38mm) before you try them on at the apple store?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Jhaj wrote: »
    Got the call too! :)

Have any of you ordered the apple watch in both sizes (42mm & 38mm) before you try them on at the apple store?

I did that, ordered both. Haven't got a call yet but my order status says Processing. I never logged in after it was cancelled though to see if it ever actually said anything other than processing.

I went to Belfast today.

1. Sport model black 42mm is still my go to. Band is super premium doesn't feel plasticky at all.
    2. The stainless steel model is just stunning, the build quality externally I feel rivals my Omega Seamaster.
    3. The milanese loop is so nice, it feels like silk doesn't snag on arm hair.
    4. Being able to remove links from the link bracelet is ingenious, and it's super simple to do. The sales guy allowed me to do it and I had removed 2 links in 20 seconds. no screwdriver, no bringing it to a jewellers.
    5. The modern buckle is nice, but too small for me, it closed but was a tad tight. The noise it makes when shutting though is so good. There's 4 magnets inside this they said.

So my plan is to keep my original pre-order of the 42mm of the Sport Black model, and maybe when I'm in San Francisco in June pick up a milanese loop or a leather loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Jhaj

I went to Belfast today.

1. Sport model black 42mm is still my go to. Band is super premium doesn't feel plasticky at all.
    2. The stainless steel model is just stunning, the build quality externally I feel rivals my Omega Seamaster.
    3. The milanese loop is so nice, it feels like silk doesn't snag on arm hair.
    4. Being able to remove links from the link bracelet is ingenious, and it's super simple to do. The sales guy allowed me to do it and I had removed 2 links in 20 seconds. no screwdriver, no bringing it to a jewellers.
    5. The modern buckle is nice, but too small for me, it closed but was a tad tight. The noise it makes when shutting though is so good. There's 4 magnets inside this they said.

So my plan is to keep my original pre-order of the 42mm of the Sport Black model, and maybe when I'm in San Francisco in June pick up a milanese loop or a leather loop.

Sounds good! Looking forward to heading there myself! Still not sure which size will suit my wrist best...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

How do you think the milanese loop will look with the sports black watch.

I was also interested in the sports black watch. Thank for the feedback.

Jhaj wrote: »
    Sounds good! Looking forward to heading there myself! Still not sure which size will suit my wrist best...

I've fairly big wrists (around 7-8 inches in circumference) I found the 38mm to be lost on my wrist, and the 42mm to be just right. Although my Seamaster is a 41mm watch so I'm comfortable with that size.
    dingding wrote: »
    How do you think the milanese loop will look with the sports black watch.

I was also interested in the sports black watch. Thank for the feedback.

There's going to be a mismatch for sure. I think it could work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I tried it on in Edinburgh today. Loved the Milanese, but have ordered the black Leather Loop as it seems like more a day to day strap that I'd like, but will buy a Milanese eventually I reckon.

Think the Milanese would look horrible with the Space Grey aluminium, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 irltankman

I got the call from cork around 2pm today. I was really skeptical. I assumed it was someone trying to con me in some way. I just said "sure reinstate my order" and waited for the guy to look for credit card numbers or something (at which point I would have told him to get lost). But no. It was real! I'm delighted. UK preorders must have been well behind what they were expecting... Some clever guy must have said "Hey we have a bunch of irish people we could use to bump up our UK numbers? Thoughts?" ;)

• Advertisement

irltankman wrote: »
    I got the call from cork around 2pm today. I was really skeptical. I assumed it was someone trying to con me in some way. I just said "sure reinstate my order" and waited for the guy to look for credit card numbers or something (at which point I would have told him to get lost). But no. It was real! I'm delighted. UK preorders must have been well behind what they were expecting... Some clever guy must have said "Hey we have a bunch of irish people we could use to bump up our UK numbers? Thoughts?" ;)
    Even if Irish orders through Parcel Motel totalled 5,000 orders (let's face it, this is a unrealistic number) it is completely small fry to apple.

We're talking about a company who can shift 10 million phones in 48 hours. They're making these things as fast as they can, and people are buying them as fast as they can make them!

Advertisement