Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dspca volunteer induction training Saturday 10.01

• 05-01-2015 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi, I'm going to attend the DSPCA volunteer induction training this Saturday at 10am. I'm based on the north side of the city, I was going to get any bus from town that gets me as close as possible to dspca and then a taxi as I don't have a car. I'm not familiar with the area, so looking for advice. Is this doable? Would it cost a lot to do every week? I have always wanted to volunteer with animals but I have never found anything that could be reached by public transport only, so I'd like to give this a try! Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Looking at DublinBus.ie, the closest stop you can get to it by bus is the 161. This goes from Dundrum Luas Station to Rockbrook. This would be followed by a walk to get to the DSPCA, which could be 10 - 15 minutes.

Bus fare is €2.80 each way for an Adult. Luas fare is €4 return. I've no idea how long it would take to get there and I didn't check the frequency of the 161

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

If you're coming from town the ashbourne buses (102/103?) stop 2 mins from <snip> which might be handier and quicker?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It's very dodgy to get to the DSPCA by bus- the road that goes to it is like a country road- very long, with lots of bends and with no footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kyra

thank you all for your replies. I have contacted <snip> many times to check if they needed volunteers, the answer I get is that they will keep my application on file and let me know, this was almost a year ago. so there is no bus that goes straight to Rathfarnham directly from town? only the 161 from Dundrum? my idea was to get by bus to Rath. and then take a cab to DSPCA... thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

kyra wrote: »
    thank you all for your replies. I have contacted <snip> many times to check if they needed volunteers, the answer I get is that they will keep my application on file and let me know, this was almost a year ago. so there is no bus that goes straight to Rathfarnham directly from town? only the 161 from Dundrum? my idea was to get by bus to Rath. and then take a cab to DSPCA... thanks again

Yeah they seem to wait until they have x number of people waiting before the hold an induction. When I was made redundant I filled in a form and was planning on volunteering most days since I'm 15 mins away. I'd done a good few training classes with my dog at that stage as well as having my canine first responder cert and references from friends who are trainers etc ..and didn't hear back from them for 3 or 4 months. By that stage I was in a crappy stop-gap job with no free time so couldn't attend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭kjbsrah1

Lots of animal charitys particularly animal rescue charitys depend on volunteers who can foster animals in emergency situations as well as short or long time periods. If your home situation is suitable and if its suitable for you too, maybe look into making yourself available in that capacity. The Resue will provide you will all you need and will deliver the animal to you. I help out with <snip> and they totally depend on that type of volunteer. Maybe something to consider...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Folks, it is against the forum charter to mention or discuss individual rescues. I was prepared to relax that rule a tad, simply for the sake of the op finding out which bus they needed. However, the discussion is starting to drift away from bus routes to talk about other rescues, so I have to step in now and ask that the rule is observed.
    If you want to recommend individual rescues, please do so by pm.
    Some posts will be edited to bring them in line with the charter.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Advertisement