Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beechview house

Options
  • 05-01-2015 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Beechview house, the property at the start of Blanch village has been knocked down beginning of December I think.

I know it was bought up and planning permission obtained for a medical centre (why, I dont know!) but I believe, because of the age of the building (dating back to the famine) there was a preservation order to protect the current structure. Can anyone verify this. If there was a preservation order why was the building knocked down (it had been gutted for a while) and was permission sought?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Demolished illegally afaik. I saw a press release about it from Roderic O Gorman at the time http://rodericogorman.com/?p=2052

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

It was "raised to the ground" he says. Hmmm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

The house was sitting there in ruins and was an eye sore on Blanchardstown village.

Don't get me wrong when I say this, but should the original building be left as it was or for a new development to be built in its place, and if to be left, to what benefit?

I'm sure if a young lad were to go in to the original house and get up to mischief and had a fall from through the floorboards or something to that nature, we'd have a lot of bleeding hearts calling for the buildings leveling.

I understand it might be a significant building historically but who was going to put the money in to make it something worthy? The council? It was a privately owned structure so why would or should the council bother?

'Cause Dublin keeps on changing
    And nothing seems the same
    The Pillar and the Met have gone
    The Royal long since pulled down
    As the grey, unyielding concrete
    Makes a city of my town'

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

I take the point about about safety and while the building would not have been considered iconic, it certainly framed that particular part of the village in a recognisable sense. When we look at old pictures of Blanch with the church and the cottages you can tell that its undeniably Blanchardstown. I believe that the village aesthetic should be preserved insofar as is possible while also providing for the latter day needs of the area. I thinks its a real shame that Beechview House was demolished in violation of planning orders. It will be interesting to see what comes out of the review, perhaps the developer should be made to reconstruct in keeping with the existing design and aesthetic.

I take the point about about safety and while the building would not have been considered iconic, it certainly framed that particular part of the village in a recognisable sense. When we look at old pictures of Blanch with the church and the cottages you can tell that its undeniably Blanchardstown. I believe that the village aesthetic should be preserved insofar as is possible while also providing for the latter day needs of the area. I thinks its a real shame that Beechview House was demolished in violation of planning orders. It will be interesting to see what comes out of the review, perhaps the developer should be made to reconstruct in keeping with the existing design and aesthetic.

I was fond of it and had it have been redone as a home by someone with a few quid and the front garden cleared and out and presentable, it would have been a nice to have.

What's the maximum punishment for someone found to have broken the planning laws on this? Can they lose their right to build their health centre?

PS: Who are the owners?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

I was fond of it and had it have been redone as a home by someone with a few quid and the front garden cleared and out and presentable, it would have been a nice to have.

What's the maximum punishment for someone found to have broken the planning laws on this? Can they lose their right to build their health centre?

PS: Who are the owners?

I was always hoping someone would buy it and respect it by bringing it back. Alas a developer bought it and had decided that we need yet another medical centre to join the two already there and the several more closeby

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

Picture from a couple of years ago, taken from myhome.ie. it didn't look too ramshackle back then:

BlanchNewElevWeb_m.jpg

Site sold for €252k in August 2011.

Link to planning application / decision here.

Interesting that the architects mentioned in correspondence dated the 12th of June 2012 that "the original house know as Beechview is not a protected structure" and goes on to say that "Dr. Sattar has undertaken with this development to conserve the character of the building as a structure of local importance and representative of the Vernacular Architectural heritage of Blanchardstown village"

Big question is, was it in fact a protected structure, does FCC list buildings anywhere? On the second point, it appears that the developer reneged on his desire to "conserve the character of the building". Disappointing.

It would have been a really, really good guest house.

Myself and some friends considered would it be worth chipping in and making it some sort of guest house about two years ago, but it turned out to have been sold within weeks of us thinking it.

My mates are mostly trades people and I felt it would have been something to work toward over time and it could benefit us. It's a shame really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

looking from the bus, it seems that the structure is being rebuilt, early days yet with the building but it seems to be replicating it.

do any of you remember that garage near Holles St. that was illegally demolished and the developer had to reinstate. probably a similar requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

Well judging by the post above according to the architects it wasn't a protected building.

I also agree, the structure emerging appears to be similar to the previous one, if thats the case why not keep the bricks, morter and history of the building intact...perhaps unsalvagable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Godge wrote: »
    looking from the bus, it seems that the structure is being rebuilt, early days yet with the building but it seems to be replicating it.

do any of you remember that garage near Holles St. that was illegally demolished and the developer had to reinstate. probably a similar requirement.

Archers Garage

bd-archers-2-1024x694.jpg

front20cover.jpg

Advertisement