Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Requesting guest specific gift.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭MarieOC

I'm speechless!!! Your talent and business is profiting from old friends, but their wedding profiteering is totally acceptable??? She really needs a wake up call, but I think she's past talking to

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Holy sh!tballs! I'd love to think up some catty retort for them, but I'm actually lost for words.

What are you going to write back to them??

I think I'll be needing more nachos!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

My screen is now covered in tea due to the sputtering that occurred upon reading your post, Lau.

No words.
    On the other hand, she said that you are still invited, (lucky you!) and that you can "bring what you want".

I'd be tempted to go.

And bring nothing. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Lau2976 wrote:

Hey Lau,

Went through your price and thought that it was a bit steep? Would this be cheaper if I brought a canvas? Or sent a picture instead of a sitting? Your mother said your traveling? So hoping that you could get it done before you leave Monday.

As it's to celebrate our wedding and it was a gift to ignoramus' mother we were hoping that you could lower the price as a gift to us? I understand that this is how you make your money but it's not really fair to profit off an old friend? If your back, the invitation still stands and I hope you can make it. We assigned your gift to someone else so bring what you want.

Kind regards,

Rude.

OMG I've just thought of the perfect response:

Dear Rude Ignoramus Bridezilla

Funny you should mention it's not fair to profit off an old friend because that's exactly what YOU are trying to do by dictating to guests what presents they should give you and deciding that gifts worth €250 are appropriate. I will not be doing the portrait, you cannot afford my highly esteemed work.

Regards
    Lau

PS
    Go fck yourself

Send that!!!! :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

tinkerbell wrote: »

Funny you should mention it's not fair to profit off an old friend because that's exactly what YOU are trying to do by dictating to guests what presents they should give you and deciding that gifts worth €250 are appropriate. I will not be doing the portrait, you cannot afford my highly esteemed work.

Regards
    Lau

PS
    Go fck yourself

Perfect response!

On a more serious note, Lau is your travelling going to impede on our hearing how the big day goes? If it is, then I do implore you to reconsider :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Tell them you need to buy special metallic paint to do their brass necks justice! As a gift send a big pot of Brasso!

How dare they say your costs are a bit steep, what would they know about that sort of thing? I'm raging for you, OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I am so excited!!! This is just like the excitement from bridesmaidsgate so I better set up my popcorn and drinks stall again for all the boardsies :pac:

I never saw bridesmaidsgate, can someone post a link please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Stheno wrote: »
    Perfect response!

On a more serious note, Lau is your travelling going to impede on our hearing how the big day goes? If it is, then I do implore you to reconsider :D

:D I guess only time will tell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

You can bring what you want? How kind of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Christ on a bike! :eek: The cheeky mare...

On second thoughts. This thread has given us so many jokes, I reckon we should set up a crowd-funding page. Us Boardsies chip in a fiver each and BUY them the fecking mixer! For services to the Entertainment industry you understand...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

I can't get over this thread. They're just so . . . I can't get over the cheek of it!

On second thoughts. This thread has given us so many jokes, I reckon we should set up a crowd-funding page. Us Boardsies chip in a fiver each and BUY them the fecking mixer! For services to the Entertainment industry you understand...;)

Have you lost your mind?? :eek: Buy them the mixer?!

Oh look I found your mind, you left it at my popcorn stall :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Have you lost your mind?? :eek: Buy them the mixer?!

Oh look I found your mind, you left it at my popcorn stall :pac:

JOKE!! I WAS JOKING!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Maybe Lau could buy a cheap stand mixer on her travels and take photos of it in a variety of exotic locations and then put together a photo album (online of course, not a physical one, no point spending money on this scabby couple) and send it to the bride and groom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭pooch90

I reckon we should set up a crowd-funding page. Us Boardsies chip in a fiver each and BUY them the fecking mixer! For services to the Entertainment industry you understand...;)

And all show up to present it to her, "We heard you had loads of spare seats" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Regards
    Lau

PS
    Go fck yourself

P*ssed myself laughing at the p.s. Still laughing... Short, sweet, to the point, and extremely appropriate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

This thread is amazing.

Officially want to high five cake guy.

You're getting a small cake cause everyone's declining!!! If that doesn't give her a hint :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Cork 1980

stinkle wrote: »
    Tell them you need to buy special metallic paint to do their brass necks justice! As a gift send a big pot of Brasso!

How dare they say your costs are a bit steep, what would they know about that sort of thing? I'm raging for you, OP.

I've tears down my face at your response Stinkle. Flipping brilliant :D

Lol! That email just annoyed me so much! Am recovering from dental surgery so may be a*little* less restrained than normal - am happy to use my crankiness and lack of filter to email the couple for the OP :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Lau2976 wrote: »
    Thought I'd update while I have a minute :D

Cake guy called them this morning and they asked why the cake would be so small and when they could see a prototype of the finished product. He told them that they only needed that size because loads had declined. And that they could see the cake the day if the wedding. He sent them my love and promptly hung up telling them to email his work email if they had any issues :D

Got back the reply for my quote earlier today too!

Hey Lau,

Went through your price and thought that it was a bit steep? Would this be cheaper if I brought a canvas? Or sent a picture instead of a sitting? Your mother said your traveling? So hoping that you could get it done before you leave Monday.

As it's to celebrate our wedding and it was a gift to ignoramus' mother we were hoping that you could lower the price as a gift to us? I understand that this is how you make your money but it's not really fair to profit off an old friend? If your back, the invitation still stands and I hope you can make it. We assigned your gift to someone else so bring what you want.

Kind regards,

Rude.

This makes me so angry for you OP. To be honest, I wouldn't reply. I'd just leave it at that. You are never going to win with these people.

• Advertisement

aunt aggie wrote: »
    This thread is amazing.

Officially want to high five cake guy.

You're getting a small cake cause everyone's declining!!! If that doesn't give her a hint :)

He's pretty fantastic! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Oh come on. This is a spoof thread from day 1. The op is just throwing in more and more outrageous crumbs to keep the audience entranced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

CaraMay wrote: »
    Oh come on. This is a spoof thread from day 1. The op is just throwing in more and more outrageous crumbs to keep the audience entranced.

You couldn't make this stuff up, and their haven't been the usual inconsistencies or red flags. I'd actually believe it.

There are some really self involved and greedy people out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

CaraMay wrote: »

I'd love to believe it. But I'm with you on this. I'm finding it very hard to believe. It's a good read tho.... Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

dixiefly wrote: »
    I never saw bridesmaidsgate, can someone post a link please?

There was a link a few pages back on this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Sligo1 wrote: »
    I'd love to believe it. But I'm with you on this. I'm finding it very hard to believe. It's a good read tho.... Lol

Impossible. I haven't believed since 'single & ready to mingle' !!

I was a believer once though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Maybe this mixer would be right up their street ;):D

2en6byh.jpg

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

^^
    If you and cake guy went in on it together, you'd be able to get the mixer AND an easi-bake oven!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I absolutely love this thread! I have a long boring stopover at an airport, but there is free wifi so I've been giggling my way through the updates

Or us boardsies chip in a fiver each and commission the OP to paint the portrait... Of a stand mixer

And if there's extra money left over, commission Cake Guy to make the bicycle-shaped cake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

"Went through your price and thought that it was a bit steep? Would this be cheaper if I brought a canvas? "

Un-fcuking-believable.

They are amazed by the steep price and attribute it to the price of the canvas rather than the fact that the OP's time is worth anything. Eugh.

They are Toxic people. Just have nothing to do with them.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Un-fcuking-believable.

They are amazed by the steep price and attribute it to the price of the canvas rather than the fact that the OP's time is worth anything. Eugh.

The canvas thing annoyed me the most - cos remember they valued materials at something like €35 which "justified" the stand mixer add-on present. Its really patronising of them to tell someone else how much their supplies should cost (am not an artist but I imagine decent supplies come to more than €35) and disregard the cost of their time and skills. Even them expecting it to be ready on Monday is some cheek!

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Un-fcuking-believable.

OP should email back with this link http://www.photobox.ie/shop/wall-decor/canvas-prints/classic She can just buy the canvas herself, and supply a photo.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Bring "anything".

Turn up with a guest...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Bring "anything".

Turn up with a guest...

Or all the people who took part in the thread. I for one would be quite happy to change my name to anything for the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

I can believe she's still intent on designating gifts to people.

To paraphrase Friends of all things, pigeons learn faster than her. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

OP, any update on the decline rate so far?

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    OP, any update on the decline rate so far?

Cake guy said that their cake is for 45 I think. I'll have to check though to be sure.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Cake guy said that their cake is for 45 I think. I'll have to check though to be sure.

Was the original list not over a hundred?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Have to wonder how many of that 45 are getting their designated present. Or if they are being reassigned. I really would like to know what the bride and grooms take on all this is, are they surprised by the amount of people turning down their kind offers or even do they think that its in anyway normal to tell people what to buy them.

Stheno wrote: »
    Was the original list not over a hundred?

Yeah. But they expected some to decline because their in the states.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Op, you're great for the updates! :D honestly so shocked by these ppl, esp the part where they said they'd reassigned your gift to someone else. You couldn't make it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I don't even care if this thread is a wind up (I actually believe OP, tbh), it's officially my favourite thread ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

I don't even care if this thread is a wind up (I actually believe OP, tbh), it's officially my favourite thread ever.

Agreed! I couldn't care less if the whole thing is made up, it's entertaining as hell.

:pac: I wish this was made up! I wouldn't really be dealing with it and I'd have quite a good imagination!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

what happened in bridesmaidgate, i must know, please ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Esterhase

I must say, real or not, the weekend updates have brightened my Monday morning to no end!

Don't happen to have any mini cupcakes in your stall do ya tinkerbell? :pac:

Esterhase wrote: »
    I must say, real or not, the weekend updates have brightened my Monday morning to no end!

Don't happen to have any mini cupcakes in your stall do ya tinkerbell? :pac:

Yes but keeping in line with cupcakegate, there's only half a mini cupcake for everyone :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I forsee the portrait being too expensive shortly (what with wedding planning), swiftly followed by never hearing from these 'friends' again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

That would be no loss. However since these are grabby grabby folk the only way to not hear from them again it'l be the op who has to do the ditching methinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Thought I'd update while I have a minute :D

Hey Lau,

Kind regards,

Rude.

that is just the most outrageous thing I have ever read, "bit steep":eek: "reassigned your gift":eek::eek:.... "so bring what you want":eek::eek::eek:

OP if I were in your position I would be sending a short, curt response to say that the quote was already heavily discounted as gift but that you no longer happy to do the portrait as it clear that they do not appreciate the time or effort that is required.

She may well take flounce off at that but it would be no loss to you.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement