Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Requesting guest specific gift.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

I love this tread. It has been said before but it just keeps on giving. I'm here trying to explain everything that has happened in the tread to my wife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Conversation in my house this morning :

Me: oh my god wohooo
    husband: what?
    Me: two strangers got together, remember the weddings thread about the bride dictating what gifts people gave?
    Husband: did the op get together with cake guy?
    Me: yessss!

Yaaay delighted for you both!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Yay for the happy thread :D

Tis the makings of a RomCom! It has it all!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Yay for the happy thread :D

Tis the makings of a RomCom! It has it all!!

My worst friends wedding. The sequel to the smash hit WITH A TWIST.

A story of true love brought about by one bitches extreme demands and the internet wierdo's who brow beat her into a relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

I let cake guy read this properly for the first time :pac:

He is now convinced that if it weren't for this thread I wouldn't have gotten with him. He is apparently eternally grateful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Lau2976 wrote: »
    I let cake guy read this properly for the first time :pac:

He is now convinced that if it weren't for this thread I wouldn't have gotten with him. He is apparently eternally grateful!

Ye two sound adorable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Awww! best wishes to you both :)

But really, it might be time to end this thread ?

You need to lead your life with no online speculation as to how your possible relationship will progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Eeden wrote: »
    Awww! best wishes to you both :)

But really, it might be time to end this thread ?

You need to lead your life with no online speculation as to how your possible relationship will progress.

Awww nooooo, please don't do that. Positivity is rare these days. Lau please don't do this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Planning my wedding that will not be happening at all in the foreseeable future already?

Cake guy will be glad to know that he's being drafted to make the cakes for his own wedding! Although when we do get married he will be making them cos him and his cakes are just nom! :pac:

Please no stand mixers! He has 3, and they are all currently in a box in my studio waiting to be moved to the kitchen! :D

Oooooh "when"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

OMG. Yay!!!!!!!!! And good job Stheno for rushing over here from AH with the happy news!!!!

That bridezilla and groomzilla were clearly a blessing in disguise!!! :pac:

And when you do get married, make sure to request a specific gift from the original bridezilla and groomzilla from this thread :D :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

tinkerbell wrote: »

And when you do get married, make sure to request a specific gift from the original bridezilla and groomzilla from this thread :D :pac:

They'll have loads of sour grapes to send ye !

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

Awww best romcom/post ever/boardsie wedding yayyy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I'm just so happy... This couldn't have ended any better!

I'm just so happy... This couldn't have ended any better!

Ended? It's just beginning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

I have just spent daaayysss reading this thread (being new to the wedding forum). Delighted for lau and cake guy. Im just imagining the "how dod you two get together" q and a. And of course bridezillas face when the response is along the lines of "our mutal dislike for a certain crass and despicible money hungry couple who only got married to fleece everyone."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ronjo

Thumby wrote: »
    I have just spent daaayysss reading this thread (being new to the wedding forum). Delighted for lau and cake guy. Im just imagining the "how dod you two get together" q and a. And of course bridezillas face when the response is along the lines of "our mutal dislike for a certain crass and despicible money hungry couple who only got married to fleece everyone."

My favourite part is the moaners who dont believe a word of it. :pac:

ronjo wrote: »
    My favourite part is the moaners who dont believe a word of it. :pac:

I know. Because people like that dont actually exist!! If only they could meet mr and mrs zilla. Im sure they would walk away singing the monkeys i'm a believer.

I think, for some that might be what it takes ☺

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Oh my God I have dedicated my weekend to reading this thread, got a little sidelined by the links to other threads too, it's brilliant!! Nearly choked on my tea for the email about "it's not right to make a profit off old friends" hahaha!! All of your comments were so funny, I loved the cheerleading from other posters, so nice to see.

Soo... Lau if you & Cake Guy need a celebrant.... ;-) ;-) I'm happy to oblige- in return for an Andy Warhol style portrait of a blender, and a year's supply of cupcakes (which I plan to sell). You are welcome :-)

fannymagee wrote: »
    Oh my God I have dedicated my weekend to reading this thread, got a little sidelined by the links to other threads too, it's brilliant!! Nearly choked on my tea for the email about "it's not right to make a profit off old friends" hahaha!! All of your comments were so funny, I loved the cheerleading from other posters, so nice to see.

Soo... Lau if you & Cake Guy need a celebrant.... ;-) ;-) I'm happy to oblige- in return for an Andy Warhol style portrait of a blender, and a year's supply of cupcakes (which I plan to sell). You are welcome :-)

There will be noooo selling of the cupcakes, that's just wrong!!!! I however volunteer much to my waistlines (and fitting into the wedding dress thing) detrement to help you eat aforementioned cupcakes for the next year:D:D

• Advertisement

There will be noooo selling of the cupcakes, that's just wrong!!!! D

Well if it's good enough for Bridezilla...! ;-)

Well if it's good enough for Bridezilla...! ;-)

Ah but bridezilla seems to be lacking in cop on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

Don't forget a bike. Even if you don't have a son, you need a bike.

Don't forget a bike. Even if you don't have a son, you need a bike.

Oooh I DO have a son Liz, EXCELLENT point, thank you!! And he only cycles on mountains, so we need a MOUNTAIN bike. A gold one :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

I was following this before holidays and am only getting back to it now. Honestly one of the best threads on boards and the ending with Lou and Cake guy made it all too much. I grinned and did a little squeal when it was confirmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

God dammit Kathy22, I thought Lau was coming back to say cake guy had proposed and they were drafting up a guest specific gift list.

I am so disappointed right now that the only reason the thread came back to life is because of your post.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

God dammit Kathy22, I thought Lau was coming back to say cake guy had proposed and they were drafting up a guest specific gift list.

I am so disappointed right now that the only reason the thread came back to life is because of your post.

Same here!

Can you imagine the Wedding vows? "With this very expensive food mixer, I thee Wed" "With all my cupcakes, I thee endow"

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

Stheno wrote: »
    Same here!

+1 , or thought we were getting an update on the stingy couple and how they were getting on selling their gifts on adverts.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Yup same here. Saw thread had been updated
    Squealed with delight. Went in. Saw comment. So disappoint.

Cake guy has definitely not proposed! Unless yous all know something I don't!

The couple have done nothing to smooth things over with anybody. Not even the brides parents. She's still happy to drop her son around his grannys every saturday though. Her mothers devastated that her daughter is barely saying hello to her, just dropping the son off and leaving and then picking him up that night.

• Advertisement

The couple have done nothing to smooth things over with anybody. Not even the brides parents. She's still happy to drop her son around his grannys every saturday though. Her mothers devastated that her daughter is barely saying hello to her, just dropping the son off and leaving and then picking him up that night.

Unfortunately we don't lau. Although I am beginning my search for wedding cake suppliers so i might just start with males first and drop "are you cake guy?" Into the conversation about wedding cakes.

As for bridezilla she really is one disgusting human being. I feel so sorry for her parents not to mention her son.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

Stheno wrote: »
    Same here!

hdowney wrote: »
    Yup same here. Saw thread had been updated
    Squealed with delight. Went in. Saw comment. So disappoint.

Sorry guys but hey it led to an update from Lau :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

Could be worse she could be preventing the Granny from seeing her grandchild. At least she gets to see him!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

She's still happy to drop her son around his grannys every saturday though.

He'd be able to cycle there himself if Cake Guy had given his assigned presents :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

As for bridezilla she really is one disgusting human being.

LOL! I'd misread the above as "disguised human being"... :) I was gonna totally agree with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Aaawww I feel like I walked in at the end of an epic movie and I already know the end now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Could be worse she could be preventing the Granny from seeing her grandchild. At least she gets to see him!
    Probably because she is a free babysitter for the day ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Sorry for necroing this thread again, it popped up when I wandered into Weddings a couple of days ago for the first time and I've just read the whole thing through. Talk about an epic! And I squeed muchly at the last couple of pages when it was revealed the Lau and Cake Guy got together.

This thread deserves Legendary status!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

I don't normally post on Weddings, Marriage & Civil Partnership but do check it out now and then and wanted to say this is one of the best threads I've ever read.

Thanks to Lau2976 for telling us this story and keeping us updated as it went along, I hope you and Cake Guy live happily ever after and have a few little Lau's (I'm a sucker for happy endings).

Also thanks to Toots for moding this whole thing, that can't have been easy.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I was just thinking that this is the longest time a thread of this size has ever stayed open on the Weddings forum! Apart from the wedding band and dress shop stickies obviously. Usually there's always a few asshats that come on and ruin it for everyone, this makes a lovely change!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Best thread ever! So happy for Lau and Cake Guy; it's certainly a story for the grandkids over tea and cupcakes! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Toots wrote: »
    I was just thinking that this is the longest time a thread of this size has ever stayed open on the Weddings forum! Apart from the wedding band and dress shop stickies obviously. Usually there's always a few asshats that come on and ruin it for everyone, this makes a lovely change!

It kind of transcended the core audience too (this coming from a single guy who has no reason to be anywhere NEAR this forum) :p

One of my favourite threads here from the last 14 years. Love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭janes1234

Lau2976 wrote:
    I was wondering how common it was to request a specific gift from a specific person.

No this is extremely rude. Who do they think they are exactly? Disgusting

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

janes1234 wrote: »
    No this is extremely rude. Who do they think they are exactly? Disgusting

janes1234 please read the thread before replying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

And there you have a nice groundhog day effect to finish it off!

Needs a full circle event - cue Lau planning her own wedding and asking if it's OK to request guest specific gifts. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Mr E wrote: »
    Needs a full circle event - cue Lau planning her own wedding and asking if it's OK to request guest specific gifts. :p

When I saw this thread had been commented on again I though it was Lau coming on to announce her engagement to Cake guy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Me too :(

I think it should be locked until lau has news, or this will keep happening and disappointing us all!

This thread only started in January. That would be a bloody quick engagement. :)

• Advertisement

There definitely won't be an engagment any time soon!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement