Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Requesting guest specific gift.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭K_P

This has made me ridiculously happy. Congratulations Lau and CCG, wishing you every happiness for the years ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Delighted for you both. I saw that thread and thought it rang a bell and was over the moon when and let out a shout on the bus home from work as I was so excited!
    Wishing you both lifelong health, happiness, love and laughter together.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭aceygray

Never have I been so invested in the love lives of two total strangers! Massive congrats to you both :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Stheno wrote: »
    I'm taking ALL the credit for breaking this news to users of this forum :D

Ahh the memories.

Many congratulations :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

aceygray wrote: »
    Never have I been so invested in the love lives of two total strangers! Massive congrats to you both :D

haha i said the exact same thing!! Its better than watching a soap!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Fantastic, have never been as delighted to hear that two people I have never met are after getting engaged ��

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

messrs wrote: »
    haha i said the exact same thing!! Its better than watching a soap!!

Oh god... lets hope it doesn't end like most marriages in soaps! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

This is amazing. I shared the thread on Facebook and lots of my Irish and UK friends followed it. It came up on my memory thing today, so thought I'd come and see if there was any further news and see this. I'm delighted for you both. Congratulations

muddypaws wrote: »
    This is amazing. I shared the thread on Facebook and lots of my Irish and UK friends followed it. It came up on my memory thing today, so thought I'd come and see if there was any further news and see this. I'm delighted for you both. Congratulations

I was not aware this thread had reached beyond the people of boards :pac:

Now if only I was a good writer I could captalize on all this interest... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Lovely news. Congratulations! This is a fantastic thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Lau2976 wrote: »

You should sell the movies rights! Congrats to you and cake guy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭Thud

They are no longer together. He's in the US with the kids and she's engaged to someone else afaik although I'm not 100% sure if they're still together. They break up every other week.

Did they return the wedding gifts?

Congrats btw

Thud wrote: »
    Did they return the wedding gifts?

No, although in fairness to the groom he did say sorry to a lot of people before he left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

muddypaws wrote: »
    This is amazing.  I shared the thread on Facebook and lots of my Irish and UK friends followed it. It came up on my memory thing today, so thought I'd come and see if there was any further news and see this. I'm delighted for you both. Congratulations

You are an artist, so a picture book wouldn't be too far a stretch. 
    I can see the cover now with the Bike, Portrait, Stand mixer, cupcakes and wedding rings :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We are just friends! and I don't have a thing for him :P :pac: If, for some strange reason, we end up married I will be sure to invite everyone :pac:

Well now.... I'm just going to leave this here and remind you. :D
    Congratulations!

Oh god... lets hope it doesn't end like most marriages in soaps! :eek:

Haha! Maybe a bad comparison to make. Once you dont fight over what goes on the required present list i am sure all will work out perfect ;)

pwurple wrote: »
    Well now.... I'm just going to leave this here and remind you. :D
    Congratulations!

Oh jeez. Looks like cakeguy will be making many more mini cakes then he anticipated :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭foggy

Congrats to you both. Delighted to hear your good news. So how did he propse? In cake?

foggy wrote: »
    Congrats to you both. Delighted to hear your good news. So how did he propse? In cake?

There wasn’t really a proposal. More of a proposition I guess? :pac: it’s hard to explain

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

There wasn’t really a proposal. More of a proposition I guess? :pac: it’s hard to explain

I only came across this thread two hours ago, but I have to ask: did he make you an offer you couldn't refuse? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭pooch90

AAAAGGGGHHHHHHH!!!
    I'm so delighted with this update :):):)
    Huge congrats to you both!

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Oh jeez. Looks like cakeguy will be making many more mini cakes then he anticipated :pac:

Heh. Freudian slip? Buns in ovens and all that... ;)

*fluffs up the cushions in Parenting in anticipation of Lau2976 visiting*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Best wishes for your engagement but just one thing...please tell your fiance we are not internet weirdos!!!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Best wishes for your engagement but just one thing...please tell your fiance we are not internet weirdos!!!

speak for yourself. im an internet wierdo. and proud

and congrates on the engagment. probbaly the best boards story ever

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

How dare you? Of course we are!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

*raises hand*
    Self confessed internet weirdo here too! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

When I saw this thread was updated I was like *******please let there be an update from LAU AND CUPCAKE GUY!!!!*******

I think of this thread as your thread, not that clearly unhappy couple.

I am so happy that one wonderful marriage is coming out of this mess.

congratulations Lau - and congratulations cup cake guy!!

Me too, just a few days later than you did :D

Congratulations Lau, hope you live happily ever after...Fairytale ending to the fairytale story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Delighted to hear your news. Congratulations to you both.

Internet weirdos is a term of endearment I assure you :pac:

Also definitely no Freudian slip! There will only be real cupcakes in the real oven!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I am wondering!

Without telling your life story could we get a synopsis of how you two got together?!

I remember the start of the story I.e. the wedding gift list and the request for the mixer. And you were planning on painting them a gift (lovely!)

When did cakeguy enter the story and what happened?!

Picture it. Sicily. 1912…

:pac:

We’ve actually been close friends a really long time but I never really even entertained the idea of dating him. It never happened that we were single at the same time for very long. We drifted apart a little and then this whole debacle forced us back together, he’s one of my only mutual friends with her, and we just started spending more time together. We have a lot of the same interests and I had forgotten how much I liked spending time with him.

We started going for dinner and playing video games and we’d go out with each others friends. It was just sort of a natural progression I guess. One of his friends made a joke about us being an old married couple and then a few days later he asked me out.

Sadly nothing too exciting :pac:

Aw that’s very sweet

Thanks for sharing your story with us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Picture it. Sicily. 1912…

:pac:

We’ve actually been close friends a really long time but I never really even entertained the idea of dating him. It never happened that we were single at the same time for very long. We drifted apart a little and then this whole debacle forced us back together, he’s one of my only mutual friends with her, and we just started spending more time together. We have a lot of the same interests and I had forgotten how much I liked spending time with him.

We started going for dinner and playing video games and we’d go out with each others friends. It was just sort of a natural progression I guess. One of his friends made a joke about us being an old married couple and then a few days later he asked me out.

Sadly nothing too exciting :pac:

I think it's very exciting. To go from friends o lovers to marrying! It's perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

whoa, what a ride this thread has been. I started reading it a few hours ago and had to jump in and out while i did other stuff. it just got better and better as it went on.
    its 3am and when i read lau and cakeguy got engaged i threw my hands in the air and scared the crap outta the poor dog, not to mention the wife lol.

Congrats to you both, thank you for an amazing read and thank you to all the others who contributed t keep it fun. best wishes to you both, now am off to read all the other threads that were linked and i had to bookmark lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Was led to this thread from... somewhere, about an hour ago.

I can't be the only one reading it thinking a very imaginative OP has led a whole bunch of posters on a merry dance.

They broke up (again) and the male foreign national was able to just take their Irish-born kids to the States? Anyone with any knowledge of the Family courts in Ireland might know how unlikely (or certainly unusual) that is.

Every piece of speculation on this thread eventually - and conveniently - became part of the OP's supposed story.

It was a laugh reading it - but, sorry, I don't buy it.

On the other hand, if it is true - congrats OP on your impending nuptuals! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

BOOOOOOO!!! HISSSSS!!!

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Was led to this thread from... somewhere, about an hour ago.

I can't be the only one reading it thinking a very imaginative OP has led a whole bunch of posters on a merry dance.

They broke up (again) and the male foreign national was able to just take their Irish-born kids to the States? Anyone with any knowledge of the Family courts in Ireland might know how unlikely (or certainly unusual) that is.

Every piece of speculation on this thread eventually - and conveniently - became part of the OP's supposed story.

It was a laugh reading it - but, sorry, I don't buy it.

On the other hand, if it is true - congrats OP on your impending nuptuals! :)

Who hurt you.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Who hurt you.....

:D:D:D

We haven't got time, Mate, we haven't got time!

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    :D:D:D

We haven't got time, Mate, we haven't got time!

:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

Only seeing this now. Congrats and thanks for the great story.

BTW, the screenplay writes itself.

First scene focuses in on 'the rignorants', the wedding where no-one turns up, meanwhile, in contrast to crass and tacky, the cute friendly couple playing board games, couple of scenes where cake guy sweetly places a dot of flour on your nose, closing scene is a celebratory wedding and a final zoom in on the stand mixer received as a present (whether ye wanted it or not).

Only a question of when this movie gets made and which A-lister plays who.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Morgans wrote: »
    Only a question of when this movie gets made and which A-lister plays who.

In their heyday... this has a charming Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts rom-com written all over it :D

... the setting would have to be changed to UK/US to avoid horrendous Irish accents though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Can't believe this thread is 3 years old already!

Congrats to Lau2976 and cakeguy. What a great ending to the story! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Where do I send the bike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Jeez, should be banned for bumping this thread. :p

Maybe they requested almost-anniversary-guest-specific-gifts, and Hyzepher was asked for a bike...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

I was hoping for an update too :)

I also thought it was going to be an udpate :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I hope Lau and cake guy are still together. I've invested too much emotionally for them to throw in the towel :pac:

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I hope Lau and cake guy are still together. I've invested too much emotionally for them to throw in the towel :pac:

I bet they got a tandem instead of a bike. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Mr E wrote: »
    Jeez, should be banned for bumping this thread. :p

Here here. My heart lept thinking an update and then....dissapointment. 50 lashes for that poster :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement