Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Requesting guest specific gift.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ronjo

I'd like to think that too buy if there own families couldn't make them see sense then what chance do a bunch of strangers on the Internet have?

I'd love if everyone bought exactly what was their invitation, then sent the gifts... And didn't show up themselves. Let the selfish pair spend their wedding day with the items that were so important to them, rather than the friends and family that should be.

By the sounds of the couple thats a win win for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

I'd like to think that too buy if there own families couldn't make them see sense then what chance do a bunch of strangers on the Internet have?

I'd love if everyone bought exactly what was their invitation, then sent the gifts... And didn't show up themselves. Let the selfish pair spend their wedding day with the items that were so important to them, rather than the friends and family that should be.

Love it. A modern day fable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Noooo! That's exactly what those selfish gits want!!!!! I hope everybody shows up to the wedding and nobody gives them a gift - instead gives them a receipt for a donation to a charity on their behalf :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Noooo! That's exactly what those selfish gits want!!!!! I hope everybody shows up to the wedding and nobody gives them a gift - instead gives them a receipt for a donation to a charity on their behalf :pac:

I'd still rather see wedding photos where they are posing with a child's bike and a stand mixer instead of actual people ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭mckildare

These people surely don't exist :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭wdmfapq4zs83hv

Op how was the invitation worded? Im dying to know!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

Gatica wrote: »
    Also, it's such a slap in the face to estimate that an original painting is 35 Euro! You'd barely get a paper print in a plastic frame at Woodie's for that.

I'd be inclined to get them the most cliched canvas "art" print I could find out of Argos or Heatons, for as near to E35 possible, and send it to them with a polite PFO and an explanation that this is what 35 euros worth of "art" looks like.

Semele wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to get them the most cliched canvas "art" print I could find out of Argos or Heatons, for as near to E35 possible, and send it to them with a polite PFO and an explanation that this is what 35 euros worth of "art" looks like.

Or a Paint by Numbers one - badly done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Gerry T

OP when's the wedding date, realise you may not wish to be specific but a rough indication ?

I'm curious to know how many people actually go to this wedding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Id go, not bring a present, eat the dinner, drink the wine, dance all night and then bar their numbers and never speak to them again. In reality your mams relationship with one of their mothers doesn't really complicate that plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

The weddings early march.

I can't post a picture because the card has a background with a photo of him proposing at the Grand Canyon on it :rolleyes: but it was worded like this.

Ignorant and Rude

Would like you to join them as they join together two families from across the world on the

Earlyty of March

As a token of celebration the couple would appreciate a

Fecking expensive stand mixer and to offend you by valuing your work at a tiny fraction of the cost.

Ignorant and rude look forward to you bearing witness to their nuptials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭K_P

I don't quite know what I was expecting but seeing it written down like that is so cringey. "As a token of celebration the couple would appreciate..." Where's the vomit smiley when you need it?!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

A token of avarice and brass necked cheek more like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

In a way it would be great if you did the portrait in a way that obviously showed their greed and meanness in their expressions, but slightly subtle so that it's not blatant and the couple couldn't actually say anything (although who knows with them). And at the same time, getting family members and mutual friends if they have any left to drum up hype about it so the couple are forced to put it on display. Perhaps it would show a giant euro sign if viewed in a certain light and angle :p

But not worth the cost, time and effort for a shower like them.

Give them a portrait to the value of 35 quid. It should look something like this:
    xkcd-stick-figures.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

How about a bad portrait of them sitting beside a stand mixer. "Oh I'm sorry, I thought you wanted a stand mixer in the portrait? Yes I know it sounded ridiculous, but so did the suggestion I buy a stand mixer."

In reality, for an easier life you should do nothing except decline the invitation. If they want to sit for a portrait, do some rough sketches and then never send them a finished article. What are they going to do, rubbish you to who-ever of their friends are left? One of the nice things about growing older is realising that cutting out so-called friends who bring nothing but unhappiness is possible, and good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭gingerhousewife

I have been following this thread in amusement and bewilderment without posting up to now. But having now seen the wording of the "save the date" notice I am actually weak!

Who in the name of all that is good and holy came up with that idea and actually thought it was reasonable? That couple should be absolutely mortified!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Gerry T wrote: »

I'm curious to know how many people actually go to this wedding.

Me too! I'd be declining if I got an invite that came with demands like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

Or a Paint by Numbers one - badly done.

On black velvet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

hmmm wrote: »
    How about a bad portrait of them sitting beside a stand mixer. "Oh I'm sorry, I thought you wanted a stand mixer in the portrait? Yes I know it sounded ridiculous, but so did the suggestion I buy a stand mixer."

In reality, for an easier life you should do nothing except decline the invitation. If they want to sit for a portrait, do some rough sketches and then never send them a finished article. What are they going to do, rubbish you to who-ever of their friends are left? One of the nice things about growing older is realising that cutting out so-called friends who bring nothing but unhappiness is possible, and good for you.

How about a portrait with them both sitting in the mixer...
    ...with the machine turned on....
    ....blood and guts flying everywhere!

Too much, maybe? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Larianne wrote: »
    How about a portrait with them both sitting in the mixer...
    ...with the machine turned on....
    ....blood and guts flying everywhere!

Too much, maybe? :o
    Only if they pose for your picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Calmsurrender

I nearly got sick laughing at "ignorant and rude"
    Actual tears in my eyes.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Lau2976 wrote: »
    The weddings early march.

I can't post a picture because the card has a background with a photo of him proposing at the Grand Canyon on it :rolleyes: but it was worded like this.

Ignorant and Rude

Would like you to join them as they join together two families from across the world on the

Earlyty of March

As a token of celebration the couple would appreciate a

Fecking expensive stand mixer and to offend you by valuing your work at a tiny fraction of the cost.

Ignorant and rude look forward to you bearing witness to their nuptials.

Jaysus, even if you take out the gift 'request' it's really badly worded. "Jim & Jane look forward to you bearing witness to their nuptials."?? Sounds like they're asking you to bear witness to them signing their wills!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Toots wrote: »
    Jaysus, even if you take out the gift 'request' it's really badly worded. "Jim & Jane look forward to you bearing witness to their nuptials."?? Sounds like they're asking you to bear witness to them signing their wills!

"Would like you to join them as they join together two families from across the world"

That part is just cringy. The 2 families arent going to give a monkeys about the others after this is all over. Also the guy doing cupcakes should go to his local spar or petrol station n buy a load of manky muffins in the plastic wrappers and send them as his own

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Eh OP, better make sure they cant invoice you for non attendance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

Neyite wrote: »
    Eh OP, better make sure they cant invoice you for non attendance!

I JUST read that on the Irish Times and came here to link it and saw I've been beaten to it! Isn't that gas that how two people read it, and thought of this thread? It's really having an impact on me! :D

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I JUST came here to link that and saw I've been beaten to it! Isn't that gas that how two people read it, and thought of this thread? It's really having an impact on me! :D

I think Rude & Ignorant would LOVE that idea. They are probably pasting it into their wedding Bearing Witness to their Nuptials Scrapbook as we speak!

I've NEVER come across a more narrowminded, mean spirited, bitchy, devious, underhanded, wicked lot than I have on this topic. I LOVE it. Better than any soap! Keep it up! It makes for great entertainment. Can't wait for the wedding, which like any good soap, should NOT go according to plan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I was going to link to that invoice on here too!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

This thread was the first thing that came to mind when I read that article too! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

neris wrote: »
    "Would like you to join them as they join together two families from across the world"

That part is just cringy. The 2 families arent going to give a monkeys about the others after this is all over. Also the guy doing cupcakes should go to his local spar or petrol station n buy a load of manky muffins in the plastic wrappers and send them as his own

even better, should take a leaf out of homer simpsons book when, eh, reissuing ownership of anything, just scribble out the brand, and write his own name over it.
    oh yeah, and leave them in the plastic wrappers!

I've been dying with the flu for over a week now so staying with my parents - I litrally couldn't move from the bad until yesterday!

Anyway she visited with her mother yesterday. I hadn't even realised until I went down to get some more painkillers and they were sitting in the kitchen drinking tea talking about the whole thing. My mam decided to tell her exactly how I felt - that I was offended and annoyed and that I would not be doing any portrait whatsoever.

She said that she hadn't invited me for the gift but didn't see any issue asking for it as she "knew" I was doing well at the moment. I'm not going to lie and say I'm broke or anything but the cost of the portrait alone was enough without the other gift.

I said that I was planning to decline the invite and then she asked me if I would still give the gift.

I'm still reeling so I'll leave it there before I get too mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

I've been dying with the flu for over a week now so staying with my parents - I litrally couldn't move from the bad until yesterday!

Anyway she visited with her mother yesterday. I hadn't even realised until I went down to get some more painkillers and they were sitting in the kitchen drinking tea talking about the whole thing. My mam decided to tell her exactly how I felt - that I was offended and annoyed and that I would not be doing any portrait whatsoever.

She said that she hadn't invited me for the gift but didn't see any issue asking for it as she "knew" I was doing well at the moment. I'm not going to lie and say I'm broke or anything but the cost of the portrait alone was enough without the other gift.

I said that I was planning to decline the invite and then she asked me if I would still give the gift.

I've no words left at this stage.. I've been following this from the start. Asking will you still give the gift.. Sweet Jesus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Does she have developmental issues? Or something like Asbergers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

That is just not normal behaviour?!!

Please do NOT insult Asbergers sufferers!

OP, Words fail me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Its clear that your 2 families are close friends so I'm taken aback that she would do this to you.
    If I was in your position I would get a gift of something, but something that you choose.

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Its clear that your 2 families are close friends so I'm taken aback that she would do this to you.
    If I was in your position I would get a gift of something, but something that you choose.

If I was in her position, she'd get Sweet FA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

:D I love this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

Ah stop.. this Just gets more unbelievable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

Has she no shame? It's mortifying to ask "so you're not coming but can we still get our present", does she not have this sense of embarrassment like the rest of us? I almost feel sorry for her!

Almost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

How are people like this able to function in the adult world???!!! The blind cheek to ask something like that when she already knew she had insulted a friend. Absolutely unbelievable.

Do you know anyone who is still going to the wedding at this stage? Interested in updates on the big day but at the same time Id be disappointed to see anyone giving into her demands.

I'm trying to think of what to say to that but I'm so speechless I'm slackjawed. 'We dont care if you come but we still want our stuff'

Wow. Wow. Wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Haha she has some gawl so she does.. It really sounds like they are having a wedding with the main objective of getting gifts... sounds like a twat I am sorry.. I would say no more and let her at it..sorry just to refresh she is a friend isn't it... Hope the flu is gone plenty of vitamin c

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

What an ignorant thing to say!

This persons issue is greed and selfishness. You rarely find those traits in people with asbergers FYI

I'm really finding this getting harder and harder to believe. Maybe I just can't believe that people like this exist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

They do indeed have met some people who would think things like this are perfectly normal and you would just be like really I need to meet your mother and talk to her

I wish I could make up something like this!

The flu is getting better now thank you :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I wish I could make up something like this!

The flu is getting better now thank you :)

What did you say when she asked if you'd still get the gift despite not going?

Stheno wrote: »
    What did you say when she asked if you'd still get the gift despite not going?

Does she mean the mixer or the portrait?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Does she mean the mixer or the portrait?

Or... God forbid... Both?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement