Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Requesting guest specific gift.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

LynnGrace wrote: »
    The thread I mentioned earlier is on

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable

('To have another rant about friend's wedding').

tut tut, was that 'story' not tried out in boards also :)

Anyway, whats the update from the OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Armelodie wrote: »
    tut tut, was that 'story' not tried out in boards also :)

Maybe :D. It's a good read though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

What's "Yanbu"?

If I were expected to pay €1500 to be a bridesmaid I'd be taking the high road outta that wedding. That's just nuts.

What's "Yanbu"?

If I were expected to pay €1500 to be a bridesmaid I'd be taking the high road outta that wedding. That's just nuts.

'You are not being unreasonable'.

'You are not being unreasonable'.

Not in a MILLION years would I have guessed, thanks :):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

What's "Yanbu"?

They're very fond of their acronyms on Mumsnet.
    You are not being unreasonable.
    Dear Son
    Dear Child
    Dear Husband

Their delicate fingers must wear out fast on their keyboards.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭marnie d

What's "Yanbu"?

If you look at her cost breakdown as well, it's 475 for dress, shoes, hair, nails, make up, which the bride usually takes care off, and 450, or is it 650, for the hen do, and everything in sterling too. Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

It is traditional to give gifts and cash to Couples when they marry and most people do, it isn't greedy or rude to consider that fact and anticipate it when planning. ...

I think there is distinction between expecting gifts, of any sort, be it a wrapped gift or cash, because, in your experience, people who get married get gifts, and those who expect gifts because they feel entitled to them.

On a side note, I shall in future, use the term "Yanbu" as an exclamation of note, "Yanbu! It's cold in here." :)

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

So much for getting college presentation started tonight, off to mumsnet for a few hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Yanbu! That place has alllll the crazy.

Edit: On reflection I think I prefer 'Yabu!' Rolls off the tongue better and also, you are shouting out 'You Are Being Unreasonable!' I like the John McEnroe-ness of it.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    What the feck is YADNBU :confused:

First post in that thread and I was lost.

The forum name is Am I Being Unreasonable, hence AIBU. So the replies are yabu or yanbu. Once you overcome the annoying acronyms its a great read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Any site that needs something like this http://www.mumsnet.com/info/acronyms
    is a load of pony and best avoided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

I'm crying laughing at that thread! She wants the groom not to turn around in the church so he can "hear the gasps of the guests". Get over yourself love

allym wrote: »
    I'm crying laughing at that thread! She wants the groom not to turn around in the church so he can "hear the gasps of the guests". Get over yourself love

I think it's hilarious. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

Oh. My. God.

But what's a marryoke?

From apost on that thread:
    I googled Marryoke. It appears to be where you and yr guests mime along to a song and it's all edited together with wedding footage to make a video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Swift divorce to follow for that couple. The comedown after all that will give that girl a nervous breakdown!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

allym wrote: »

So funny! :D

I have never heard gasping at any bride and I have seen some beautiful brides in my time. :) People just look on and smile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

some ones been reading n watching too much princess make believe stuff. with the amount of "celebrity" bull **** in the media now a days too many vain individuals are failing to see the lines between reality and some ones 15 minutes of fame or someone clinging to their list status

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

I wonder how long this marriage will last.

That's not a marriage, that's a fecking hostage situation!

Psst, Groom, blink once for yes and twice for no... Would you like me to leave a window open for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

So does the bride understand that she's not getting the portrait?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭pooch90

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    So funny! :D

I have never heard gasping at any bride and I have seen some beautiful brides in my time. :) People just look on and smile.

I got gasps as I walked down the aisle but that's cos I normally look like I was dragged through a bush backwards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

NOOOOOOOOOOO. They are a MUST HAVE. No Wedding is complete without them!

Oh my god, I've just realised that I'm not properly married :eek::eek: I had no chocolate fountain, photobooth, or candy cart :eek::eek::eek: :D:D

Has this thread finished or are we waiting for an update from the OP ? :confused:

I've imparted a lot of advice and angry if I missed the outcome .. AIBU?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Oh my god the acronyms. If those leak into this forum I'll lose my mind! Right, as of now anyone who uses AIBU, YABU, or YANBU will be sitebanned permanently and shall have a gorilla dispatched to their house to throw fecal matter at their front door!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Reading that thread reminds me why I don't read Mumsnet very often. Most of the women on there are bat**** crazy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Toots wrote: »
    Oh my god the acronyms. If those leak into this forum I'll lose my mind! Right, as of now anyone who uses AIBU, YABU, or YANBU will be sitebanned permanently and shall have a gorilla dispatched to their house to throw fecal matter at their front door!

:eek:

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

tinkerbell wrote: »
    :eek:

I believe my reaction is entirely proportional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

You are being completely reasonable

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

Reading that thread reminds me why I don't read Mumsnet very often. Most of the women on there are bat**** crazy!

Weddingbee takes the biscuit. There is at least one " is my diamond big enough" a day. Fascinating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

IBMRIEP

fits wrote: »
    Weddingbee takes the biscuit. There is at least one " is my diamond big enough" a day. Fascinating.

No way?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MsBubbles

Ah here, I think there's something wrong with me cos I didn't turn into Bridezilla, fighting with everyone and throwing temper tantrums shouting it's my day ! Demanding guests give us specific and expensive gifts. ;)

And dont forget, especially in the Waiting section: 'We've been together 2 years, living together for 6 months. I'm 22, he's 23. Why won't he propose?! He keeps making excuses like 'we're too young, he doesn't have enough money for the ring I want, he wants to finish school first.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

And dont forget, especially in the Waiting section: 'We've been together 2 years, living together for 6 months. I'm 22, he's 23. Why won't he propose?! He keeps making excuses like 'we're too young, he doesn't have enough money for the ring I want, he wants to finish school first.'

Oh dear god - did someone actually say that?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

'Waiting section' !! People like that are simply mental!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Lisha wrote: »
    'Waiting section' !! People like that are simply mental!!!
    I had to have a look at that. I read one or two with my eyeberows up at my hairline somewhere, thinking 'you silly bint, just ASK HIM THEN!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Oh dear more.. My god what is wrong and what happens to women... They only thing I would like my bridesmaids to do is help me out with the day, look after a few bits and bobs. Even at that I hope I am not asking them to do too much as it will be very hands on... Never once thought ohhhh what kinda pressies are they going to get me, I hope if it is any it will be a sleeping tablet so I might actually sleep the night before the wedding haha.. I have already gotten them a few bits and bobs for treats for them on the day to say thank you..

Oh dear oh dear is all I can say

Oh dear god - did someone actually say that?!

I'm nearly sure I've seen that situation. Definately close to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Urrrrrgh!!! As IF I needed another reason to hate the marriage wheel and all the ****E that goes along with it.
    'My dress is not right' 'My gifts were too small' 'I didn't make enough money'.
    Weddings in this country are GROSS.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

wanders off to check weddingbee.

I'm a mumsnet lover though. I found the acronyms annoying but now they barely register. I love that there are always crazies to marvel over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Bendihorse wrote: »
    Urrrrrgh!!! As IF I needed another reason to hate the marriage wheel and all the ****E that goes along with it.
    'My dress is not right' 'My gifts were too small' 'I didn't make enough money'.
    Weddings in this country are GROSS.

It's the people that are gross, not marriage/weddings. Thankfully I've only had one experience of going to a wedding where it felt like a money grab (and to be fair it wasn't even that bad). All the others have been great occasions celebrating with my friends & family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Neyite wrote: »
    wanders off to check weddingbee.

I'm a mumsnet lover though. I found the acronyms annoying but now they barely register. I love that there are always crazies to marvel over.

It's my day off today, and I'm feeling pretty sick. Think I've found the perfect way to make myself feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

"Jessica is selling a lot of rustic wedding decor, including 140 burlap & lace napkin holders"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MsBubbles

Check out cupcake gate too ! It's on wol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭honey79

These people are not right in the head

I can not believe the stuff I'm reading

Reading things like this remind me of how normal I am :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭pooch90

Me too! There was backlash from our muppet of a best man after our wedding and I was paranoid that maybe I was a bit of a BZ, not anymore!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Ah the wedding forums crazies, I love them!

Some favs I remember : melt down because the wedding car colour "was off white not white" and would "clash with her dress and ruin everything"

Melt down because her sister would not fly home from Australia for her hen two months before the wedding.... Couldn't grasp the concept of cost.

The lady who had her hotel reserved and booklets made up and dress picked but not ordered......she was single!!!!!

I am off to tell sister and friend we need to do it again, not a bridezilla moment between us.... Where did we go wrong!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭Thud

YABOS

wtf EWCM?? :eek: what website needs an acronym for that

http://www.mumsnet.com/info/acronyms

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement