Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GW21 Captain Poll

• 06-01-2015 1:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,193 ✭✭✭✭

I think I'll be going for either Hazard or Sanchez.

Best captain for GW21? 185 votes

Hazard
    0%
    Sanchez
    55%
    garDempseymachiavellianmeremoteboyuRbaNNichololasIagodave13[Deleted User]rock whoreBulmersSparkoLemlinMacker1RikandzarquonArmaniJeanssGLaDOS[Deleted User]Grid. 102 votes
    Costa
    5%
    PWEIforce elevenFernandoTorresstepstersashafierceLostArtIrish Arisqwabercdpeadar76kolczastyy 10 votes
    Kane
    22%
    SickBoythe whole year innShaque attackSooner or LaterbohsmanWombatmanbillymitchellpatmacRoonboxbig_showfranglanjimmiibo-scoChesty08Pool4Lifex43r0tony1980mectavbastiffler123jive 41 votes
    Sterling
    2%
    ionapaulNabberFirst ExplorermjpjoeKel73 5 votes
    Austin
    0%
    Legwinski 1 vote
    Van Persie
    3%
    AdMMMbofWalter Whitehufpc8w3adnk65The_MaskGits_bone 6 votes
    Falcao
    1%
    gary314cThe Wild Bunch 2 votes
    Rooney
    0%
    Silva
    1%
    redarmyhotsme89 3 votes
    Jovetic
    2%
    callaway92Easy RodbeaufUsername here 4 votes
    Ings
    0%
    Dubliner28 1 vote
    Benteke
    1%
    shayno90Eldocobangkok 3 votes
    Fabregas
    0%
    Eriksen
    3%
    NalzrossitciantheodpahshmeeeMouzone 6 votes
    Other
    0%
    muletide 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Sanchez
    Hazard, no second thoughts. He's close to becoming the new Bale the way he's going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Sanchez
    Lemlin wrote: »
    Hazard, no second thoughts. He's close to becoming the new Bale the way he's going.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Falcao
    Van Persie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Sanchez
    Hazard at home!

#H@H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

Costa if i end up bringing him in this week, if not Hazard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭deathtocaptcha

Kane
    Costa all day long against a manager-less Newcastle Utd... you'd expect goals and Costa to be in the thick of things...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Sanchez
    Hazard ... or Sanchez ... or Costa.

On Hazard at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Sanchez
    Hazard and I don't think I'll lose much sleep over that decision this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Sanchez
    Hazard all the way. Sanchez VC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Eriksen
    fab Fab!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭CrabieCrawford

Sanchez
    Hazard this week.

Theres weeks to make a bold captain choice, and this is definitely not one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Kane
    Costa

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Sanchez
    Hazard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Sanchez
    Hazard for me Sanchez VC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭evancmurphy00

Sanchez
    Hazard. Can't bring myself to make Austin captain again after what happened the last 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Sanchez
    It has to be Hazard this week

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JR6

Kane
    Hazard...

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

Sanchez
    Local_Chap wrote: »
    It has to be Hazard this week

Try captaining Benteke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Sanchez
    Hazard (C). Costa (VC).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

Hazard! Even though I am very tempted to give it to Terry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭El festino

Sanchez
    Hazard or Costa. Prob go with Hazard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

My front three all have pretty tasy fixtures (Costa, Austin and Kane) but I don't think its a week or gambling. Hazard (C). Least we'll all go down together if its a flop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

Kane
    Torn between Hazard and Costa. Have it on Costa atm but that could change.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bezuaua

Kane
    Voted Costa... but so many hazard believers is tempting me to go with the crowd :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

Sanchez
    bezuaua wrote: »
    Voted Costa... but so many hazard believers is tempting me to go with the crowd :pac:

Ya. Think I'm going to go with the flow too. Hazard I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Sanchez
    bezuaua wrote: »

Costa could easily turn out to be the best choice, but if both score one goal then Hazard is more likely to get baps compared to Costa. Hazard also gets an extra point for a goal and a cleanie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Kane
    The BAPs for Hazard is definitely a factor here, even though I'm currently leaning towards Diego.

Sanchez
    44% going with Hazard on FFS to Costa's 14%.

Kane
    44% going with Hazard on FFS to Costa's 14%.

Scary stat for those of us inclined the other way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

CSF wrote: »
    Scary stat for those of us inclined the other way

I'd be the of opposite opinion, if I trust my judgement (as you should yours) then I'll consider this an opportunity, I still have Hazard so I won't be losing out big time, currently I'm favouring Costa but could still change.

Kane
    I'd be the of opposite opinion, if I trust my judgement (as you should yours) then I'll consider this an opportunity, I still have Hazard so I won't be losing out big time, currently I'm favouring Costa but could still change.
    But it isn't as if I think Costa is a particularly better option than Hazard. It is a bit of a cointoss with me deciding the 51% sits on the Costa side. Would be different if I thought everyone else was onto a losing bet but its Hazard at home. I know full well I could be punished, but alternatively, Costa could also flourish, so as you said there is an opportunity there too.

CSF wrote: »
    But it isn't as if I think Costa is a particularly better option than Hazard. It is a bit of a cointoss with me deciding the 51% sits on the Costa side. Would be different if I thought everyone else was onto a losing bet but its Hazard at home. I know full well I could be punished, but alternatively, Costa could also flourish, so as you said there is an opportunity there too.

I'm the exact same but I usually will go with the striker in that scenario, Costa's been unlucky not to score a bit better of late, if it wasn't for penno's it'd be a no brainer for me but they are a bit of an issue with going for Costa, as I said if I pick Costa and stick with him on Saturday morning I'll view it as an opportunity.

Sanchez
    I'd go with Costa but for the lack of bonus and risk of yellow cards.

Kane
    I'd go with Costa but for the lack of bonus and risk of yellow cards.

Yeah these reasons are why I can't settle on a decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

isn't this is the fixture that hazard got a hat trick in last season! home to Newcastle. can lightning strike twice? hopefully as I didn't captain him last season in this tie

• Advertisement

Sanchez
    Also depends on your ranking IMO. For the ones super highly ranked here I'd see no point taking such a risk now.

About the bold part. I think it's a potentially dangerous false autosuggestion general idea. Take the Arsenal-QPR game for instance. And replace Hazard with Sanchez and Costa with Giroud. Sanchez got 10 pts and Giroud -2 so you're looking at a 12 pts shift if you got the wrong captain. Granted this won't happen often but when there's a 30% diff between captains you're into gamble territory. I remember people were paying tributes to the "balls" of the ones who captained Austin for his hat-trick (which I did) but he was pretty high in the FFS poll and the difference with the top choice was only just above 10% => http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93514009&postcount=165 ;).

iroced wrote: »
    Also depends on your ranking IMO. For the ones super highly ranked here I'd see no point taking such a risk now.

About the bold part. I think it's a potentially dangerous false autosuggestion general idea. Take the Arsenal-QPR game for instance. And replace Hazard with Sanchez and Costa with Giroud. Sanchez got 10 pts and Giroud -2 so you're looking at a 12 pts shift if you got the wrong captain. Granted this won't happen often but when there's a 30% diff between captains you're into gamble territory. I remember people were paying tributes to the "balls" of the ones who captained Austin for his hat-trick (which I did) but he was pretty high in the FFS poll and the difference with the top choice was only just above 10% => http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93514009&postcount=165 ;).

Has something been lost in translation?:p

If I pick Costa it will be because I suspect he'll score more points than Hazard. If I ever start playing the game any other way I'd rather not bother to be honest.
    I'm still undecided, I'm one of Hazards biggest fans around here and I've had reservations about Costa from the beginning, I've said plenty about both when Hazard wasn't producing and Costa was earlier in the year, it's a very tough choice this week but I'll make it myself and won't worry about polls till after 11.30 on Saturday.

Sanchez

I don't think Swiper worries about what the masses will do he plays his own game . I'd also pick who I feel is the best capt choice you have to back your own judgement.

Sanchez
    Has something been lost in translation?:p

If I pick Costa it will be because I suspect he'll score more points than Hazard. If I ever start playing the game any other way I'd rather not bother to be honest.
    I'm still undecided, I'm one of Hazards biggest fans around here and I've had reservations about Costa from the beginning, I've said plenty about both when Hazard wasn't producing and Costa was earlier in the year, it's a very tough choice this week but I'll make it myself and won't worry about polls till after 11.30 on Saturday.
    I don't think Swiper worries about what the masses will do he plays his own game . I'd also pick who I feel is the best capt choice you have to back your own judgement.

I think you didn't really get what I meant...

I did mention that when you're very highly ranked (which I don't know if it is Swiper's case) it may not be the best of tactics to deliberately ignore a 30% captain diff in FFS poll. It doesn't at all mean you don't have to follow your own judgement. But you may reach a compromise.
    For instance, this week, Swiper mentioned he was and apparently still is hesitating between Hazard & Costa. So it's not like he just has a look at FFS poll and forget about his own judgement. In fairness, if his own judgement was really made he would not be hesitating :P. In that case and if I was very highly ranked, between my own judgement and knowing that the vast majority of FFS (C) poll is going for Hazard, I'd favour him over Costa.

But my main point was referring to what I quoted in bold which I think is a true false idea.
    I still have Hazard so I won't be losing out big time.
    That's what I pompously called "potentially dangerous false autosuggestion general idea". I gave a recent example where this idea was clearly wrong. And overall I pointed out that with a 30% captain diff between the 2 players it could be really costly if it goes wrong. That's all.

So, trusting your own judgement is one thing. But I'm sure you both are also factoring in the risks you're taking.

Finally, FFS captain poll is not really a reflexion of the masses ; there are about 5400 votes now and these guys are certainly among the most active players (FFS being the best league in the game).

But that decision was not "clearly wrong", Giroud was uncharacteristically sent off, Sanchez scored 10 points, Gaston Ramirez scored 13 points that weekend, was it wrong that I didn't captain him?
    I don't think that what the masses are doing is ever the "right and only" thing to do, I think the masses are often wrong, Fabregas being the obvious example:pac:

• Advertisement

Sanchez
    But that decision was not "clearly wrong", Giroud was uncharacteristically sent off, Sanchez scored 10 points, Gaston Ramirez scored 13 points that weekend, was it wrong that I didn't captain him?
    I don't think that what the masses are doing is ever the "right and only" thing to do, I think the masses are often wrong, Fabregas being the obvious example:pac:

I'm sorry to persist but you still didn't get what I meant. It's not the decision to captain Giroud which was wrong (beforehand we couldn't know, we can't predict the future :P) it's the idea that you won't have lost much anyway if you captained him rather than Sanchez because you owned both. That's all ;).

This is something I read often here when someone hesitates between 2 captains "ah it won't make a big difference because I own both anyway". Excuse my French (:p) but it's bullsh*t. The FPL statistico site shows that my vice-captains scored 60 pts more than my captains (and I do remember that my horrible autumn run (C) wise was mainly myself getting wrong 50/50 decisions). With 60 pts more I'd be in top 5k while I'm just inside 40k now. So it can make a huge difference if you get it wrong.

And just to be perfectly clear, I pay no attention to the masses. But I do pay attention to most posters here and to a few FPL-dedicated sites, FFS in particular. FFS is not a reflexion of the masses opinion. The masses don't follow these sites, they don't even know they exist. The 5k+ who voted this week for the FFS poll are certainly for the majority FPL geeks like us here. They're not the masses. I mean some posters here even subscribed to the paid version of the FFS site. I guess they didn't pay to have the masses opinon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Sanchez
    iroced wrote:
    Finally, FFS captain poll is not really a reflexion of the masses ; there are about 5400 votes now and these guys are certainly among the most active players (FFS being the best league in the game).

I've noticed that the FFS poll often ends up quite close to the FFFix top 1,000 captain %ages stats for the gw, certainly better correlation than to the global captain figures.

Sorry to persist also but no, I still don't understand, everything you say could be reversed if I choose Costa and it turns out to be the right decision, all that was lost in that Sanchez example you provided was 12 points and it was a bit of an anomaly, Giroud was the form player of the two at that time.
    I only wanted to point out that the fun in this game is going with your gut rather than following polls or whatever, I don't follow FFS at all, I like frisk the fixtures and I'll look at the team news but that's about it.

Sanchez
    I'm sorry to persist but you still didn't get what I meant. It's not the decision to captain Giroud which was wrong (beforehand we couldn't know, we can't predict the future :P) it's the idea that you won't have lost much anyway if you captained him rather than Sanchez because you owned both. That's all ;).

This is something I read often here when someone hesitates between 2 captains "ah it won't make a big difference because I own both anyway". Excuse my French (:p) but it's bullsh*t. The FPL statistico site shows that my vice-captains scored 60 pts more than my captains (and I do remember that my horrible autumn run (C) wise was mainly myself getting wrong 50/50 decisions). With 60 pts more I'd be in top 5k while I'm just inside 40k now. So it can make a huge difference if you get it wrong.

And just to be perfectly clear, I pay no attention to the masses. But I do pay attention to most posters here and to a few FPL-dedicated sites, FFS in particular. FFS is not a reflexion of the masses opinion. The masses don't follow these sites, they don't even know they exist. The 5k+ who voted this week for the FFS poll are certainly for the majority FPL geeks like us here. They're not the masses. I mean some posters here even subscribed to the paid version of the FFS site. I guess they didn't pay to have the masses opinon.

Another way to look at the 60 pt difference in captain choices is that maybe you picked the so called safe captain choice rather than the less owned better option. This of course could be rubbish but it would be interesting to look back to see why you picked each captain each week.

Sanchez
    Argh... communicating on the internet (especially in a foreign language) can be frustrating at times (no offence at all Swiper ;) I probably deserve most of the blame :o). I feel a bit like Busts when he tried explaining his points hit theory now :rolleyes: :pac:...
    I only wanted to point out that the fun in this game is going with your gut rather than following polls or whatever, I don't follow FFS at all, I like frisk the fixtures and I'll look at the team news but that's about it.
    First of all, you play the game like you wish and I certainly never will criticise your approach. Who would I be to do so anyway?
    Sorry to persist also but no, I still don't understand, everything you say could be reversed if I choose Costa and it turns out to be the right decision, all that was lost in that Sanchez example you provided was 12 points and it was a bit of an anomaly, Giroud was the form player of the two at that time.
    Admittedly but if you allow me to use a great english wording (we have no equivalent in French) I rest my case :p. My point is indeed valid for both scenarios. If I follow your first statement "won't lose much anyway" then you "won't gain much anyway" which I believe is wrong.

My main point had nothing to do with own judgement, gut feeling or public captain polls. My main point was stating that the general idea that if you're facing a 50/50 captain decision it doesn't matter if you get it wrong since you own both players is wrong. And vice versa.

I captained Austin for his big points haul. My vice-captain was Eriksen. 15 pts diff.
    GW4. I captained Sterling. 1 pt. Vice-captain was (supposedly doubtful) Costa. 17 pts. 16 pts diff.
    Of course sometimes both my (C) & (VC) scored the same and it didn't make much difference.
    But stating that because you own both it will not make much difference anyway is what I pompously called a "potentially dangerous false autosuggestion general idea" ;).
    To phrase it simpler I could say we have no idea since we can't predict the future. But for sure we can't say beforehand "nah it won't make a difference". Sounds like autosuggestion to me.

Hope I made it clearer now :o;).

Well I googled Autosuggestion and now I'm more confused than ever:p (a psychological technique that was developed by apothecary Émile Coué at the beginning of the 20th century)

My point about not losing much was a bit throwaway and after that I got lost in the mist, all I really wanted to convey was that if I end up on Saturday morning thinking Costa is a better shout for this game than Hazard then I will not hesitate for a minute or take any poll suggestions, by virtue of making that decision I will view it as an opportunity to make ground on those ahead of me.
    Biggest problem I have now is that by getting involved in this thread i'm under pressure to pick Costa:pac:

Sanchez
    Another way to look at the 60 pt difference in captain choices is that maybe you picked the so called safe captain choice rather than the less owned better option. This of course could be rubbish but it would be interesting to look back to see why you picked each captain each week.
    In fairness I tried everything :D. And at some point nothing was working...

What I do in general is make my own judgement first based on who I have, their form and fixtures. Then I'd have a look at FFS poll, FSA poll and opinions. If my captain is very low in the (C) poll rankings, I reassess (which doesn't mean I will change my mind). Maybe I missed something (e.g. the amazing runs some players have against some teams). Based on the opinions here, the odds, some interesting facts (e.g. A. Johnson scoring in bursts), etc... AND (of course) my ow judgement I take my final decision.

Over the years though, I found that FFS (C) poll is a great reflection of the best FPL players (C). I'm not surprised it roughly matches the FFF top 1k (C) as FHFC mentioned. I think it's a very serious guide we can follow if in doubt. And every time I warned/indicated it to boardsies it's precisely because I rate it very highly. But it neither means I follow it all the time nor that I'd consider one who doesn't follow it has to be taking a wrong decision.

The very reason I mentioned it in today's discussion is because the difference is huge and as I said I rate it highly. Just so that Swiper exactly knows the risk he could be taking. Because if Costa & Hazard score very differently, with 30% (C) diff, the rise or fall could be huge. I experienced it in a positive manner with Austin recently. I remember many people congratulating the "balls" of the ones who went with Austin and as I posted earlier there was only a 12% diff with Yaya (the most popular choice) and 3% diff with RVP (second most popular chocie). So again 30% diff is monstruous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Sanchez
    What I do in general is make my own judgement first based on who I have, their form and fixtures. Then I'd have a look at FFS poll, FSA poll and opinions. If my captain is very low in the (C) poll rankings, I reassess (which doesn't mean I will change my mind). Maybe I missed something (e.g. the amazing runs some players have against some teams). Based on the opinions here, the odds, some interesting facts (e.g. A. Johnson scoring in bursts), etc... AND (of course) my ow judgement I take my final decision.

I do the same. Right after the GW updates I'll pick my C and VC. I'll then check out the FFS poll midweek and see what the trend is. If I'm confident in my captain choice (like this week with Hazard or Benteke against Leicester back in GW15) then it doesn't matter what the poll says. But weeks where I'm not so sure and there's a clear majority, it definitely sways my opinion. This paid off handsomely when I captained Aguero against Sunderland even though I didn't think he would return double digits.

Sanchez
    Well I googled Autosuggestion and now I'm more confused than ever:p (a psychological technique that was developed by apothecary Émile Coué at the beginning of the 20th century)
    Maybe it's not as commonly used in English. In French we refer to it as "la méthode Coué" which means convincing yourself of taking the right decision even if you either know it's potentially a (very) bad one or if you have absolutely no idea how good or bad it is.

For instance you go to your exams without having revised anything (let's say you went out drinking instead to make it more obvious) but you convince yourself there's a (big enough) chance you'll get your favourite topic and it'll be OK. Méthode Coué :cool:.

Or I could quote one of the most iconic French movie from the 90ies ("La Haine"). "This is the story of a man falling from a 50 floors building. At each floor he repeats to himself "so far so good" to convince himself it's all gonna be OK". That's (extreme) autosuggestion ;).
    In the movie though, the bottomline of the story is that: "what's important is not the fall but the landing :D".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Sanchez
    Costa vs Hazard is probably as close to 50-50 as you're gonna get, Costa is slightly more capable of returning a monster score, though Hazard is the player in better form for me - that, coupled with his pretty amazing record at Stamford Bridge (the last time he failed to score or assist there was GW6!), means he's getting the nod for me over Costa. I wouldn't lambast anybody for going with Costa tho - he could definitely score big this week

• Advertisement
Advertisement