Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How hard is it to move to Dublin from the North?

Options
  • 06-01-2015 4:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

I searched the boards history and can't see anyone from the North wishing to move to ROI. So can anyone provide information on how I would go about moving down there by myself? I was thinking about moving down there in the Summer from Belfast for 6 months or so (usual minimum tenant agreement). I have 10 GCSEs above C, 3 A Levels above C, a degree in Computer Science from Queens, been working full-time and part-time banking/IT jobs since I was 16. Will this all be able to be traced up by employers properly?

What's the first steps I should go through upon arriving in Dublin? I remember meeting a guy from down South at my job and I think he was having trouble setting up a bank account, will this be an issue?

Will I be able to get help finding jobs? Will I be available for JSA/Housing Benefit if I'm not able to find any? Or at least be able to sign up to the job centre so they can help me get a job? Monetary benefits aren't really needed.

Where should I move in Dublin that is where it's all happening? In Belfast I still live in a student area since I'm still that age (23) and it's about a 25 minute walk to the city centre. What areas would be similar to move to in Dublin? I want a good area near the city centre, don't care if it's a bedsit, cheaper the better. Paying £350 atm. What prices will I be looking at?

Feel free to move this to the right section if this isn't the correct one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Setting up a bank account shouldn't be difficult. I was able to join AIB with proof of address using my address from the north.

Are you moving down to improve your employment chances? Can you not apply for jobs and potentially gain employment before you make the move? Dublin is expensive (especially rent) in comparison to Belfast from what I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The hardest part will be finding an apartment. You're talking around €1000 a month for something habitable. See daft.ie for listings. Also competition for apartments is intense. For work Id say you're ok. IT is huge in Dublin, massive companies base themselves here e.g google, yahoo, ebay,facebook, drop box etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

OP get a room in a house share. a) its cheaper than an apartment. b) if you are new to Dublin. Its a great way to meet people. Most people I know hangout more with their house mates, than actual long term friends

Get a Nationwide account in Baggot St. They told me they are super popular with people transferring to and from Sterling, as they offer the best rate. But they only offer savings accounts. KBC are only €6 per quarter and have good online banking(BOI online is horrific).

Like if I were you. I would firstly get an Irish mobile number for your CV. I think three offer free roaming, so its ideal for you. I would stay in a hostel for a few days and handout CVs or apply online from NI. Stay in Belfast and come down for interviews. When you finally get a job. Make the move to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Colinf1212 wrote: »
    I searched the boards history and can't see anyone from the North wishing to move to ROI. So can anyone provide information on how I would go about moving down there by myself? I was thinking about moving down there in the Summer from Belfast for 6 months or so (usual minimum tenant agreement). I have 10 GCSEs above C, 3 A Levels above C, a degree in Computer Science from Queens, been working full-time and part-time banking/IT jobs since I was 16. Will this all be able to be traced up by employers properly?

There is no minimum tenant agreement down here. Your lease runs for how ever long you and the landlord agree that it runs until. However, 12 month leases would be standard here. You may be able to find a landlord that will be willing to do a shorter one, but it would be on case by case basis. Daft.ie and Myhome.ie are the main online sources for rented accommodation. They have listings for short term accommodation, but it is usually very expensive, as it is geared mainly towards business travelers and tourists. There is also a Sharing section, if you don't mind getting a place with others.

Not sure what you mean by traced up. Do you mean will prospective employers be able to check your employment history and job references? Of course they will, as long as you give them contact email addresses and phone numbers and whatnot. I'm sure Irish employers would be perfectly willing to pick up the phone and give your old job in Belfast a ring. It's not like you are moving here from Dubai. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Well, it's not Game of Thrones so there's no big wall to climb over.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

@ OP I used commute from Dublin to Belfast regularly

Jobhunt first then give yourself a month to get a room/house and you should be fine

Advertisement