Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property bought with sitting tenants

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,399 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Looking around the living room in my rented apartment, I'd say about 90% of the furniture is mine.

What did you do with the stuff you replaced?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

beaufoy wrote: »
    There is no dispute that the apartment was rented furnished from the last land lord and from me. Please read the original question
    Yeah, your original post doesn't state that it was rented furnished.

In any case that really only gives you the possibility of being slightly more successful in arguing your case in the event that the tenants removed property from the apartment.

To address your original question; the agent is right. You need an inventory list before you can enter the property to take a look at the condition of the contents inside it. You cannot assume that anything in the property belongs you to if it wasn't listed in the sale.

In a doorstep showdown the tenants would be permitted to walk out with the contents of the apartment and the onus would be on you to prove in court that you owned the stuff. And that proof would be in the form of an inventory list that you received during the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

noodler wrote: »
    What did you do with the stuff you replaced?

It's still here. I augmented rather than replaced. For example, there were no bookcases, TV stands etc when I moved in. Anyway, this is off-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    That is true - but realistically the value of the furniture is negligible to the landlord that it's easier for them just to leave it there. Also you have to remember that it is the receiver selling the property, not the landlord and the receiver is not interested in selling off the couches, the dining table, the beds etc separately.

Absolutely. But the question is title. The title of the real property (the apartment) is clearly transferred to the purchaser. But the furniture is not covered by the mortgage, and so the receiver doesn't have the right to sell it. It doesn't matter what inventories you have or don't have.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Are you having the tenants evicted? Have you talked to the tenants? Have the tenants made a claim for the furniture or do you think they are just going to nick everything you believe is yours?

Honestly, if the tenants are staying, then who cares, if they are leaving, then I would let them leave and get your agent to deal with it. If the tenants don't know anything of your ill feelings towards them and they leave but the furniture wasn't theirs initially, there is a good chance they will just leave it there.

Can you clarify why this is an issue if they are not leaving? and if they are leaving, what makes you think they will take everything? If they do, can you show anything that proves it is not theirs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Its very interesting to see what some Landlords consider a property as "furnished"
    I have seen everything from places with just, a kettle, a microwave, fridge, washing machine, small table and chairs, 1 sofa, bed base and mattress. To places with so much included that you only need your clothes and a toothbrush.
    This is why an inventory is so important at the beginning of a lease.
    You could always ask the current tenants for a copy of their original lease to see if one was included and work from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭beaufoy

It seems that you are all enjoying this thread so much I hate to stop your fun. However, the agents have conceded they should have done an inventory and have contacted the tenants to arrange a time to do said inventory

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

It seems that you are all enjoying this thread so much I hate to stop your fun. However, the agents have conceded they should have done an inventory and have contacted the tenants to arrange a time to do said inventory
    For a guy that came on here looking for advice, some of your posts have been pretty ignorant to say the least.
    Have you considered that the agents have said so just to passify you and put an end to your enquiries in this regard?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

So basically there is nothing wrong with the tenants and they are being quite accommodating, wow, surely could have been solved alot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

That's good news, OP. I do hope that you are happy with the items on the inventory.

• Advertisement
Advertisement