Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What should I do next?

• 06-01-2015 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi,

Currently self employed sole trader. Business in difficulty. Got stung a few times regarding payment etc. Have a large vat liability. Generally not going well but still trying to struggle on.

Problem is I am genuinely living hand to mouth. I never signed on in my life so was unsure of the situation surrounding that. Went to my local SW office and was told that I would have to de-register as self employed before they could accept my application for assistance and was sent on my merry way.

From what I've read I think this is incorrect??

I have two options on the table:

1. Stay self employed (would need assistance)
    2. Take up a job offer of 10 hours per week minimum wage (would need assistance)

If I am offered assistance I presume it would be JSA?
    How long for?
    If I stay self employed or take up the 10 hours work will I be expected to re-skill or do voluntary work etc.

Being honest I found the SW unhelpful.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭NotaSheep

Try citizens advice office - they will be able to advise in detail what your entitlements are. AFAIK yes, you should be entitled to JSA if you are earning very little through your self-employment and how much would depend on means testing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

You don't have to deregister. Those days are long gone. You can submit your claim while remaining self employed.

You can get job seekers while of "working age" so no time limits as such. You'd be reviewed from time to time.

Go back and insist you wish to lodge a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Bumbler

Guys thanks very much.

I dropped into the SW yesterday and they accepted my application for JSA. I will be contacted by them shortly for interview. This is a big step forward.

Few more questions please. In the past 6 months I have worked (self employed) approximately the equivalent of 10 weeks. I can verify this via my accountant. Will I be back dated for the weeks I did not have work? I understand they can backdate you 6 months. Am I crazy to think I can seek a rebate of 14 weeks?

Lastly, what is the payment on full JSA?

Thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Bumbler

Hi,

Does anybody have any idea regarding my last post above please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

188 is the rate on JSA I think. (If you are over 25)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Bumbler wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anybody have any idea regarding my last post above please?

Honestly, backdating is very unlikely.

Your rate of pay will depend on family circumstances and any means assessed against you.

Advertisement