Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good value full road bike service

• 06-01-2015 10:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    Can anyone give me some info on what bike shops do good full service for a reasonable price. I'm talking about everything removed and greased up, gears and brakes ect ect.
    Live in Churchtown so anywhere from there to Dundrum,Rathfarnham,Sandyford and i work in Bleubell.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Dinging

Fitzcycles in Stillorgan, or Bee Cycles in Dolphins Barn (on your way to work).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Is Bee Cycles up and running again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

This place ->>> LINK

In Rathfarnham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

+1 on Bee Cycles. -1 on Fitzcycles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Sorry for jumping in on this thread but would the likes of these shops fix buckled wheels?

• Advertisement

If any bike shop DOESN'T fix buckled wheels, it's not a bike shop.....

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Dinging

Alek wrote: »
    Is Bee Cycles up and running again?

Yes, I cycle past regularly on way home from work and its been open. This would be well after 6, think 7 he closes the shop.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Sorry for jumping in on this thread but would the likes of these shops fix buckled wheels?

Daragh from Bee Cycles is certainly top notch at wheel repairs / wheel rebuilding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Thanks all.
    Will give Bee Cycles a look. Was looking at Fitz in Stillorgan. They look a bit pricey. 199 for a full service.
    Also seen a mobile repair van which they will drop out to you and repair. 70 Euro for bottom bracket,gears and brakes and chain.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    This place ->>> LINK

In Rathfarnham

Gave these a call. 25 Euro for everything except parts. Have been in with these guys before for tubes and tyres but didn't know there service was that cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Gave these a call. 25 Euro for everything except parts. Have been in with these guys before for tubes and tyres but didn't know there service was that cheap.

Yeap, great value and personal service too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Thanks all.
    Will give Bee Cycles a look. Was looking at Fitz in Stillorgan. They look a bit pricey. 199 for a full service.
    Also seen a mobile repair van which they will drop out to you and repair. 70 Euro for bottom bracket,gears and brakes and chain.

You wouldn't buy these parts for 70 Euro. Certainly not for parts you'd be happy to have on your bike ...

I've personally found Fitzcycles very good and reasonable.

I guess you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭VR46

I've used Fitz a couple of times. They did a fine job but definitely pricey compared to others. Hollingsworth and UCD are better value from my experience.

route66 wrote: »
    You wouldn't buy these parts for 70 Euro. Certainly not for parts you'd be happy to have on your bike ...

I've personally found Fitzcycles very good and reasonable.

I guess you get what you pay for.

I said mobile repair van. 70 euro for the service of bottom bracket, gears, chain, brakes. Not parts

For the €70, what does one get?

(Most) bottom brackets are sealed units that don't need servicing, and can only be replaced.
    Gears just need adjustment, which, fair enough, could take up to 10 minutes.
    Chain is either fine or needs replacing, so no "servicing" there. It may get cleaned and lubed, again, a quick job.
    Brakes may need adjusting, again, say 10 minutes max. Parts again are either fine, or need replacing.

So if there are no parts included, I cannot see how a "service" can cost €70.

Thats why I do 80% of my own......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

IMO an annual service should include: headset clean & relube, new brake pads, wheels trued/tensioned and hubs regreased or bearings replaced (if appropriate), new brake and gear cables, frame checked for cracks, rims checked for wear.

Penny Farthing have done a couple of these for me.

On one bike they spotted a cracked headtube which could have been fatal.

On another bike they removed a seized BB with some spot welding ingenuity.

I like building bikes and doing some of my own servicing from time to time, but it is nice to drop a bike off before work and pick it up in the evening all working perfectly.

Advertisement