Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rogue cyclists set to face on-the-spot fines MOD WARNING in first post

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I know this is off topic and possibly not the place for this but, are not in service buses entitled to use bus lanes? I mean without passengers why would they be afforded the opportunity to bomb down the bus lane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    Beeping's the worst, unless you're causing a dangerous situation there's no need for it, it shouldn't be used for some prat to sound their dissatisfaction with being behind you. Some people are serious gimps once they're on the road.

Yeah but this is a motorbike rider beeping at me to get out of his way - in a bus he shouldn't be in! No likey, no bikey,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Yeah but this is a motorbike rider beeping at me to get out of his way - in a bus he shouldn't be in! No likey, no bikey,

I know, the irony of it is nearly too much to take :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Deedsie wrote: »
    I know this is off topic and possibly not the place for this but, are not in service buses entitled to use bus lanes? I mean without passengers why would they be afforded the opportunity to bomb down the bus lane?

I find these are the most dangerous and ignorant drivers on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    My pet hate this week is motorbikes and mopeds in mandatory bike lanes - nearly got hit by a motorbike this morning on the north quays who tried to zip in front of me to get behind a taxi and travel up the bike lane.

Had some gimp behind me on the south quays last night who insisted on riding behind me, beeping while I was signalling and overtaking slower cyclists - if we bother you while you're riding your motorbike (illegally) in a lane that you shouldn't be in, how about you stop breaking the law and stay out of it in the first place?

Yep, I had the same issue last night.

Trying to get home last night and some clown decided that I should be overtaken on a very narrow stretch. He soon realised that he couldn't do it safely so decided to try and bully me out of the way by shouting and roaring at me and one occasion he actually hit my leg with his wheel.
    No longer safe being a pedestrian on a footpath with cyclists on them also....the world is full of lunatics.

• Advertisement

I find these are the most dangerous and ignorant drivers on the road.

Terrifying at times between Nutley lane & UCD flyover. The cycle drain along there is shocking and the buses regularly just bomb passed way above the speed limit

Terrifying at times between Nutley lane & UCD flyover. The cycle drain along there is shocking and the buses regularly just bomb passed way above the speed limit

That's a stretch of road where I always take the bus lane, it's too treacherous in the "cycle lane".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It gives everyone a great sense of satisfaction seeing someone pulled over for something. Myself included, always like seeing people get their comeuppance.

I think it must be, it helps you feel less cheated because you followed the rules. There have been a few times that I have had cars bomb up the bus lane and that blast me out of it or try and skim me, sadly they are the ones who never seem to get caught.
    I think they are, how do you know who is in service and who is not, other than DB who have a sign, most buses have no indication, they maybe about to pick someone up etc.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I think it must be, it helps you feel less cheated because you followed the rules. There have been a few times that I have had cars bomb up the bus lane and that blast me out of it or try and skim me, sadly they are the ones who never seem to get caught.

I'd take a particular amount of satisfaction in seeing one of these culprits pulled in down the road. RLJ's too (both cars & bikes), I'd love to see them pulled in after cruising through. Met a particularly late RLJ (car) as I was cycling to work yesterday at the junction of Kevin Street & Bride Street. The driver in this instance was so late through the red light that I met them midway through the junction as I had the green. Just got a look of "what do you want me to do?" from the driver. Don't go through the light!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Cycle drain. Love it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just got a look of "what do you want me to do?" from the driver. Don't go through the light!

Seen a guy roll into the Yellow box after crossing traffic had gotten green (and had to hit the brakes as luckily the 6 cyclists, bus and 2 cars at the front on the opposing side all copped what he was at, got abuse from everyone, he just looked to his left as he sat on the yellow box and shrugged his shoulders.

As if to say, meh, nothing to be done about it.

Seen a guy roll into the Yellow box after crossing traffic had gotten green (and had to hit the brakes as luckily the 6 cyclists, bus and 2 cars at the front on the opposing side all copped what he was at, got abuse from everyone, he just looked to his left as he sat on the yellow box and shrugged his shoulders.

As if to say, meh, nothing to be done about it.

The attitude definitely annoys people as much as the action, give a wave of apology, look as contrite as possible & try to rectify the situation quickly. He may as well have given you all the finger while he was at it. If the junction isn't clear when the light is amber it's not going to be clear when the light is red!

Zyzz wrote: »
    Cycle drain. Love it. :D

It's the only appropriate description, I get annoyed when I see cyclists using it... They should use the bus lane in the hope it will force DLRCC to rebuild it.

It's the only appropriate description, I get annoyed when I see cyclists using it... They should use the bus lane in the hope it will force DLRCC to rebuild it.

As someone who lives beside it I totally agree.

Albeit that massive drain that is actually in the bus lane itself..hit that..goodbye wheels :mad:

Zyzz wrote: »
    As someone who lives beside it I totally agree.

Albeit that massive drain that is actually in the bus lane itself..hit that..goodbye wheels :mad:

And possibly neck? I have lately just stopped to let the buses past so I can cycle along the bus lane without any fear of meeting the massive pot hole drain or being clipped by a bus

And possibly neck? I have lately just stopped to let the buses past so I can cycle along the bus lane without any fear of meeting the massive pot hole drain or being clipped by a bus

Yeah I'll usually delay moving away from the lights at the Nutley Lane junction for a second or two to allow any busses already at the lights to build up enough speed to get ahead of me. Any that come up behind after that can just deal with it, I'm not risking my safety cycling on that surface.

Yeah I'll usually delay moving away from the lights at the Nutley Lane junction for a second or two to allow any busses already at the lights to build up enough speed to get ahead of me. Any that come up behind after that can just deal with it, I'm not risking my safety cycling on that surface.

That's the exact same approach that I take. Not worth taking the risk. It has to be up there with the worst section of cycle lane in the city/country?

That's the exact same approach that I take. Not worth taking the risk. It has to be up there with the worst section of cycle lane in the city/country?

Must be up there, it's a total disgrace how bad it is. The worst is when someone shouts to get back in the cycle lane. Not a hope!

I've recently been cycling home to Cabinteely from town via the Rock Road to avoid bus traffic & it's not bad, cycled in to work the same way this morning but there's an awful amount of traffic lights on the route! Doesn't seem as bad in the evening but I think I had to stop at near every on on the way in. I'll be back to cycling in via the N11 from Monday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I do same! It's absolutely ridiculous. I find if I don't let the buses take off before me or if I am not well ahead they squeeze me into the drain lane. I get buzzed and shouted at all the time for not being in it. The other see of the road is as bad too. It's pretty much the only bits of road I ever have Dublin Bus trouble on.

Zyzz we may be quasi neighbours!

Must be up there, it's a total disgrace how bad it is. The worst is when someone shouts to get back in the cycle lane. Not a hope!

I've recently been cycling home to Cabinteely from town via the Rock Road to avoid bus traffic & it's not bad, cycled in to work the same way this morning but there's an awful amount of traffic lights on the route! Doesn't seem as bad in the evening but I think I had to stop at near every on on the way in. I'll be back to cycling in via the N11 from Monday.

Rock road isn't any better IMO. Road surface is awful and has numerous run ins due to the lack of bus lane from Vincents onwards!
    gadetra wrote: »
    I do same! It's absolutely ridiculous. I find if I don't let the buses take off before me or if I am not well ahead they squeeze me into the drain lane. I get buzzed and shouted at all the time for not being in it. The other see of the road is as bad too. It's pretty much the only bits of road I ever have Dublin Bus trouble on.

Zyzz we may be quasi neighbours!

Seems like it :cool:

Haven't seen you pass the bus stop at UCD heading into town at all lately, I'll shout hello next time I swear! :pac::P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,636 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I use the bus lane there as the gutter is a safety hazard. I have to use the centre of the lane towards the end as there's a crater in the lane.
    I have lodged a complaint with dublin City , they take over from the fly over. Strangely enough the stretch on the other side of the road is really bad too. You would think that the access path to the largest university in the state would be the best kept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Just for fun, I count the number of cars in the yellow box at the junction of Wyckham bypass and old Dundrum village each morning. The least I've seen is 5, and we reached a maximum of 9 on morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Well, one month to go to the fines, Newstalk interview "Finian McCar" in relation to this: http://www.newstalk.com/player/shows/Breakfast/5/16158/02nd_February_2015_-_Breakfast_Part_2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Don't listen to it guys, it was an awful piece, tabloid schtick at it's worse, they send someone from the office to count the number of cyclists breaking a red light at rush hour on Friday. And Finnian McGrath wouldn't be out of place as a politician in a D'unbelievables sketch.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Don't listen to it guys, it was an awful piece, tabloid schtick at it's worse, they send someone from the office to count the number of cyclists breaking a red light at rush hour on Friday. And Finnian McGrath wouldn't be out of place as a politician in a D'unbelievables sketch.

Does anyone know which junction they did their survey at? I'd be tempted to go back and do a video survey of how many cars break the red lights, and how many drivers are on the phones at the same junction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

RainyDay wrote: »
    Does anyone know which junction they did their survey at? I'd be tempted to go back and do a video survey of how many cars break the red lights, and how many drivers are on the phones at the same junction.

Yesterday I was walking back from the park with the kinds. I saw a man come out of the local Centra, take a naggin of vodka from a bag. Climb into his nice BMW. Sit in the drivers seat. He knocked the whole thing back in one go and then drove off.

Can I infer anything about the behaviour of motorists from this?

tunney wrote: »
    Yesterday I was walking back from the park with the kinds. I saw a man come out of the local Centra, take a naggin of vodka from a bag. Climb into his nice BMW. Sit in the drivers seat. He knocked the whole thing back in one go and then drove off.

Can I infer anything about the behaviour of motorists from this?

Would you not have called the Gardai?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

And no "Safety Helmets" on these bicyclists!! :eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

RainyDay wrote: »
    Would you not have called the Gardai?

Who says I didn't?

But does this mean I can extrapolate the number of extreme drink drivers from one observation?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 Funtrepreneur

Let's just say there are a lot of happy motorists out there with this news.

Advertisement