Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rogue cyclists set to face on-the-spot fines MOD WARNING in first post

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Like to see if this Guard (if he is an actual Guard) has crammed the station in Navan full of seized bikes.

Maybe I should swing past and take my pick?? For €40 each I might take a few!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I am starting to suspect Eamon is telling an amusing joke...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I did point out to him, that it was Friday.

Yeah but it's not Friday 1st of April :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

check_six wrote: »
    Supplementary question: Did the "Guard" have his tracksuit trousers tucked into his socks?

No, but he was wearing a hi-viz jacket.

LpPepper wrote: »
    And so the mess begins, what a joke.

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

LpPepper wrote: »
    And so the mess begins, what a joke.

More like a jump scare horror movie than a joke really!

Unless you're the kind of warpo that enjoys watching people recoil in terror... oh, now I get it.

Well played, sir. Well played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Just realised that my driving licence, the ID I usually carry, has the wrong address on it. The RSA "corrected" it for me when I applied for a renewal and put me in another postal district (their misplaced confidence in correcting others is apparently not confined to campaigning). But since then I've moved address again, so my ID is wrong AND out of date.

Can I still use this as ID when travelling by bike without red rear spoke reflectors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I was out for a spin on my bike this morning, headed out towards Navan. I was just at Kentstown. There are pedestrian lights, at the school, which is just outside the village. The lights were red for me. There was nobody in sight, so I slowed down and cycled through the lights. Next thing a Gard appears from behind a bush and stops me, he frightened the life out of me. He asked for my name and address, which I gave him. He said he didn't believe me, and asked for identification. I had none. He said, that I had given him a name, which he believed to be false or misleading and that he was confiscating my bike. I asked him how I was supposed to get home(I was about 20Kms from home) He said, that he didn't care. He took my bike, using some force, and threw my bike into the back of his jeep.He told me, that I could collect my vehicle from Navan Guards Station, if I produced proper identification. He told me that I would also have to pay 40 Euro for going through the red light. He fecked off with my bike. I had to ring the wife to come and collect me.
    WTF

Sooo... once you get your bike back, do you reckon you'll be cycling through any more red lights?

ectoraige wrote: »
    Sooo... once you get your bike back, do you reckon you'll be cycling through any more red lights?
    Didn't happen.

Any recommendations of a red light to break before tomorrow?

I want to do it one last time before "the man" stomps his jackboot on my neck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭buffalo

ronoc wrote: »

TOO LATE!

ronoc wrote: »

Too late. New rules operational today.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

No it's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Alright I'm :confused: ... did this REALLY happen ?!!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Are these no coming in on 1st August?

Leroy42 wrote: »
    It is a requirement for the address to be correct on any ID, particularly your licence.

Most people don't update when changing address but it is a stated requirement (don't ask me the legislation, I was told that by a guard friend of mine)
    Seems reasonable, even if not true. I didn't bother the first time because I was fed up with the whole process. Took weeks for the licence to reach me because they sent it to the "corrected" address.

adrian522 wrote: »
    No it's not.

Is this in reply to the ID licence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I was on foot your honour
    the-craziest-bike-models-05.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Is this in reply to the ID licence?

Yes, sorry, I'm a bit behind as usual:
    While you are required to carry your driving licence or learner permit with you at all times when driving, you are not required by law to change your licence or permit if you change your name or address. However, it is advisable.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/updating_your_driving_licence_or_learner_permit.html

Absolutely correct @adrian522, just saw that myself. I'll delete the other post.

Funnily enough, my garda friend told me this after he was stopped, while off duty, by another guard who told him this as is address had changed!!!

• Advertisement

Absolutely correct @adrian522, just saw that myself. I'll delete the other post.

Funnily enough, my garda friend told me this after he was stopped, while off duty, by another guard who told him this as is address had changed!!!

Gardaí aren't a reliable source on legal niceties. I guess that's why we have law-talking guys.

hqdefault.jpg

This story has probably spread through the four provinces now, and no retraction can stop it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I presume the easiest way to avoid being caught is to carry a breakfast roll - so when the Guard steps out , you throw the roll over his head and off he goes

A Twix might also work, but I reckon the breakfast roll is a guaranteed winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭bren_mc

tomasrojo wrote: »
    This story has probably spread through the four provinces now, and no retraction can stop it.

I expect to see it on some German news site soon:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Presumably there will be a lot more Gardai on bicycles out and about to enforce this? Because otherwise I don't see how they intend to catch anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Didn't happen.

I'm a believer, I'm confident this will turn into a rogue-cyclist-turned-enforcer story with the Eamonnator eventually making his way to Templemore to become a Rothar-Garda.

/follow thread

I'm thinking more of Donnie Brasco, with a tragic denouement involving conflicting loyalties.

Jawgap wrote: »
    I presume the easiest way to avoid being caught is to carry a breakfast roll - so when the Guard steps out , you throw the roll over his head and off he goes

A Twix might also work, but I reckon the breakfast roll is a guaranteed winner.

Kit Kat is a sure winner.

An American friend of mine told me about a protest in which the police were taunted by doughnuts on fishing lines.

• Advertisement

ectoraige wrote: »
    I'm a believer, I'm confident this will turn into a rogue-cyclist-turned-enforcer story with the Eamonnator eventually making his way to Templemore to become a Rothar-Garda.

/follow thread

Too late. It already happened, almost 41 years ago.

Advertisement