Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rogue cyclists set to face on-the-spot fines MOD WARNING in first post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

roverrules wrote: »
    Does the experienced drivers not exceeding 80mg per 100ml of blood etc. now mean we have a defacto 0 limit, or what is the level before you fail?

No, the limit is "50 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood for experience drivers" and "20 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood for other drivers."

Arguable though that this is essentially zero as you'd really be risking it even with a single drink.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Jawgap wrote: »
    That wasn't a court imposed sanction.

Presumably she was arrested, taken to the station and opted to be dealt with administratively and met the criteria for same......

You're probably right, though it does seem outrageous that someone can hit four cars while pi$$ed, and then drive home from the Garda Station to have another go. There should be mandatory disqualification for any drunk driving.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

No, the limit is "50 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood for experience drivers" and "20 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood for other drivers."
    worth noting that this is a strong argument for carrying your licence with you at all times. because if you don't have it, they will apply the lower limit for testing at the breathalyser.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

Arguable though that this is essentially zero as you'd really be risking it even with a single drink.

So it should read " exceeding 50 " or " exceeding 20 " somewhere then, which is what I can't see

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭horsebox7

Anyone see Brendans O'Connors piece on cyclists on last night's cutting edge programme? Not very balanced if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

horsebox7 wrote: »
    Anyone see Brendans O'Connors piece on cyclists on last night's cutting edge programme? Not very balanced if you ask me.

Didn't see it. Throw us an old synopsis there, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

check_six wrote: »

Basically it was a bunch of taxi drivers giving out about cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Not wishing to be mean, but nobody cares what taxi drivers think about anything usually, so why do they have a monopoly on cycling policy critiques in the media?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

check_six wrote: »
    Within 2 minutes the beardy hipster on the panel claimed that cyclists suffer from an excess of "smugness".

That should be more than enough for you to judge the intellectual level of the discussion that was to be had.

I turned it off after that.

seamus wrote: »
    Within 2 minutes the beardy hipster on the panel claimed that cyclists suffer from an excess of "smugness".

That should be more than enough for you to judge the intellectual level of the discussion that was to be had.

I turned it off after that.

I sometimes wonder about the possibility of a national 'cycling strike'. Basically anyone who usually cycles to work in the morning gets in the car instead or calls a taxi.

Theoretical result - gridlock.

Message - you'll miss us when we're gone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i wonder are there any guesstimates for how many cars there are on the roads in dublin at any one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭horsebox7

Yes. I was getting fond of the show but not after that weak discussion. The only argument in favour of cyclists came right at the end when the woman from the Pogues siad it was just too dangerous for her. Comon Brendan! Whatever happend to the concept of balanced debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

horsebox7 wrote: »
    Yes. I was getting fond of the show but not after that weak discussion. The only argument in favour of cyclists came right at the end when the woman from the Pogues siad it was just too dangerous for her. Comon Brendan! Whatever happend to the concept of balanced debate.

He's a terrible presenter [for this type of show].

He basically dismissed Chris Donohue earlier in the show because he didn't have kids and then dismissed him again when he suggested taxi drivers were hardly saints themselves. Personally I had to leave the cycle lane three times this morning to go around taxis picking up or dropping off fares. It's all our fault though. :)

Does anyone ever appear on a show where they're discussing cycling and say something like "I cycle all the time, and I find it pretty pleasant overall and usually not dangerous at all." Because any time I say this, with occasional exceptions, I get incredulous reactions. And yet, it's true.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Watching Brendan O'Connor is like asking to be kicked in the b****x and then complaining about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Agreed. Total moron.

Don't know what anyone sees in the git at all. :confused:

His "canny, savvy people are buying houses now" article in the Sindo as nuclear charges erupted through the housing market is a classic of self-serving nonsense. His comic monologues at the start of his old chat show were very poorly delivered (I'm giving his a pass on the content, as I assume he didn't write them). But I did think that, the odd time I saw him interviewing someone, he actually was a rather better interviewer than all the other chat-show hosts at RTÉ. Damning with faint praise, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Not wishing to be mean, but nobody cares what taxi drivers think about anything usually, so why do they have a monopoly on cycling policy critiques in the media?
    Because asking a taxi driver is about all the research any of the hacks do when it comes to cycling.

Actually, it's probably all issues/ stories, not just cycling that there's poor research or a lack of balance. Whenever you know anything about a story or issue in the news, you can normally see how poor the research has been and/or how much they've been influenced by one side of the debate. There's very little balance in the media, you just don't realise until it's a subject you have even a small bit of knowledge about!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Feckin gas.

Asking taxi drivers about cyclists. Bloody taxi drivers!!! People who regularly stink up the city with their red light jumping, illegal u-turns, guerrilla parking and whole host of other driving malaise are not the folk who should be getting asked about cyclists.

Taxi drivers!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

I sometimes wonder about the possibility of a national 'cycling strike'. Basically anyone who usually cycles to work in the morning gets in the car instead or calls a taxi.

Theoretical result - gridlock.

Message - you'll miss us when we're gone.

Not really, there are only what 10,000-11,000 cyclist in Dublin? between buses, trains and taxis im sure there wouldnt be much of a difference. A cyclists strike sounds quite inviting. Peaceful city motoring ;)

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »
    Feckin gas.

Asking taxi drivers about cyclists. Bloody taxi drivers!!! People who regularly stink up the city with their red light jumping, illegal u-turns, guerrilla parking and whole host of other driving malaise are not the folk who should be getting asked about cyclists.

Taxi drivers!

:pac:

Throwing stones in glass houses...

both parties are equal menaces.

Roadhawk wrote: »
    Not really, there are only what 10,000-11,000 cyclist in Dublin? between buses, trains and taxis im sure there wouldnt be much of a difference. A cyclists strike sounds quite inviting. Peaceful city motoring ;)

according to latest figures 50k cars a day and 10k cyclists commuting in. All completely hypothetica of course,l but if you put 20% on traffic volume you absolutely would experience gridlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Does anyone ever appear on a show where they're discussing cycling and say something like "I cycle all the time, and I find it pretty pleasant overall and usually not dangerous at all." Because any time I say this, with occasional exceptions, I get incredulous reactions. And yet, it's true.

Because like any argument, the middle ground doesn't make for good tv/radio. Nobody rings Joe Duffy to say "ah Joe, I had a nice walk in the park today".

buffalo wrote: »
    Nobody rings Joe Duffy to say "ah Joe, I had a nice walk in the park today".
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9oiO6RVKrU

not technically unsafe for work, but might get some odd looks for coworkers if they see you watching it.

I think you miss the point that many cyclists would drive. If the 'wrong' day was picked - say a wet December day in the run up to Christmas and in the teeth of the Christmas shopping rush - the marginal impact would be more than enough to tip the city into gridlock.

Actually, looking at the data, it seems the 'best' day for a cycling strike would be the first Monday of the new year when everyone is piling back to work.

I think you miss the point that many cyclists would drive. If the 'wrong' day was picked - say a wet December day in the run up to Christmas and in the teeth of the Christmas shopping rush - the marginal impact would be more than enough to tip the city into gridlock.

Actually, looking at the data, it seems the 'best' day for a cycling strike would be the first Monday of the new year when everyone is piling back to work.

Thanks Jawgap, I have been asked stay quite on this topic unless i decide to contribute in a positive way. Maybe some day but not today. ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Day of a LUAS strike would shut Dublin down completely but the point would be missed.

Overall though, while great in theory, I just don't think it would work. Alot of cyclists may not have cars, may not have car parking. I certainly wouldn't take part because cycling to me is a way around such traffic. I certainly would enjoy the lack of bikes to work around though.

I have a creche to get to, I would love it as it would force my partners hand in letting me bring in the little one on the bike that day, and we both love taking the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Where does this 11,000 figure come from? According to the last census:
    As we reported first: 39,000 commuters to work and study in Dublin count themselves mainly as cyclists, up by 26% since 2006. In all of Co Dublin, which includes the four council areas combined, the modal share is at 5%, up from 3.95% in 2006. It accounts for an actual increase of over 8,000 people.

So,you may potentially have another 40,000 in cars or on public transport, which would bring the entire city to a standstill and cripple public transport.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Day of a LUAS strike would shut Dublin down completely but the point would be missed.

Actually, I'd wait for the inevitable bus and train strikes that will follow the Luas drivers getting their 18% :D

But, yes, I'd agree it's not a great idea and should be filed under "cutting one's nose to spite one's face" - it may bung up the city, but I'm not sure I want to trade the speed and freedom of the bike to voluntarily sit in a car just to prove a point - as a cyclist I'm, apparently, smug enough already :)

Anyway, despite the best efforts of certain small but vocal parts of the motoring world, cycling in the city (and the country) continues to grow and thrive - something which will no doubt be helped by this glorious weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Nearly as many cyclists go through the Canal Cordon count as Luas users. 11,000 cyclists to 12,000 luas users.
    That's between 7 and 10am in November, cycling figures would likely be higher May/June than Luas users.

Advertisement