Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hibernia Secondary PME and working full time

Options
  • 06-01-2015 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone

Having spent days trawling the threads here for up-to-date information I'd like to ask a simple question. Is there anyone out there who has or is currently studying the Hibernia Secondary PME and worked full time?

I have spent the last 2/3 years trying to convince myself I don't want to be a teacher due to the financial/practical constraints of further education, but I keep coming back to it, it's 100% what I want to do. Unfortunately having spent 20k on a different masters, giving up work to study full time isn't an option for me. I am an extremely efficient person, and have a stress-free job with regular hours, so I wonder is it so crazy to try to do the course and work at the same time?

Thanks in advance to anyone with any info for me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Hi everyone

Having spent days trawling the threads here for up-to-date information I'd like to ask a simple question. Is there anyone out there who has or is currently studying the Hibernia Secondary PME and worked full time?

I have spent the last 2/3 years trying to convince myself I don't want to be a teacher due to the financial/practical constraints of further education, but I keep coming back to it, it's 100% what I want to do. Unfortunately having spent 20k on a different masters, giving up work to study full time isn't an option for me. I am an extremely efficient person, and have a stress-free job with regular hours, so I wonder is it so crazy to try to do the course and work at the same time?

Thanks in advance to anyone with any info for me!

You could probably do it alright but you'd need a very sympathetic employer who would give you all of the required weeks off for TP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭2011abc

Im curious what this 'stress free job' is ? I might be willing to swap with ya!Seriously though I genuinely reckon any teacher starting from the mid / late noughties on has a pitiful chance ( under 10%?)of seeing out a career and getting a pittance of a pension . Job is utterly fecked .I know private sector is bad right now too but at least they HAVE 'booms' . We lose on the swings AND the roundabouts .
    Teaching always had an 'attrition rate' . Every staff had members that would be 'forced' to take early retirement . In the past there were 'top ups' to years service and far more generous sick leave( and a certain degree of 'humanity' long since gone with race to bottom ) . It's hard to see how a Jo/e Blogggs teacher is going to survive 40-50 years .The 'sort' who is going to be doing the 'up all hours/ burning candle at both ends work ' is just gonna feck off and become an inspector / principal etc.
    Its as good as policy in USA/ UK and now seemingly here to 'force out' older teachers and replace them with three more pliable cheaper NQTs .
    My advice - Unless your job is minimum wage stay put and volunteer to satisfy your teaching 'itch' . The " Oh Captain My Captain " moments are far rarer than the 'dogs abuse ' ones.
    Check out the AVC 'pension' thread here . Most of us can't get out fast enough !

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

You need to be realistic. What subjects would you be teaching and can you survive for long periods with perhaps only a few hours a week. The fact that you say you need to work more or less full time as is , would suggest to me that you may find it very, VERY hard to get by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Limericklady7

I appreciate the responses everyone. I have many friends teaching my subjects (French and Spanish) and understand the challenges facing them. Coming here was a way to ensure I had all of the information I needed to make my decision.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 10 brianroche07

I studied with Hibernia and worked full time while doing so. The course work is very manageable the only difficulty you may face is getting the time off from your employer to do your teaching practice (14 weeks TP and 1 week observation). I worked for my uncle so he was understanding when it came to this leave as long as I found someone to temporarily fill my position while I was away.

In relation to jobs I qualified in July last year and I have a full-time contract since November. There are also about 3 other teachers that have started new contracts in the same school as me so there are jobs out there for sure.

It does come to a stage where you have qualified and are probably still in your private sector job and waiting for teaching work to come up. I found the hardest part was to just take that leap to leave your 'normal' job, accept a week or so subbing when you are offered and see what comes your way after that.

Definitely go for it if you feel it is what you would love to do!

• Advertisement
Advertisement