Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking Used family car (SUV, Crossover, Tourer, 4x4)

Options
  • 06-01-2015 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get a car thats newer than 2011 and if possible a new generation of that model. I've a google doc started of what I'm considering (not in order). I think the deciding factor might be the MPG and or the road tax. The price range can be up to €35K (not a target).

It would either be a tourer / crossover / SUV / 4x4. We've 2 kids.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZKmFDZ9SSIIEnjXQ23A4D1HZLWxhlpqey462qZmHOhI/edit?usp=sharing

I find it difficult to find a list of MPG's or Tax bands. So many generations and fuel types out there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Sniipe wrote: »
    I'm looking to get a car thats newer than 2011 and if possible a new generation of that model. I've a google doc started of what I'm considering (not in order). I think the deciding factor might be the MPG and or the road tax. The price range can be up to €35K (not a target).

It would either be a tourer / crossover / SUV / 4x4. We've 2 kids.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZKmFDZ9SSIIEnjXQ23A4D1HZLWxhlpqey462qZmHOhI/edit?usp=sharing

I find it difficult to find a list of MPG's or Tax bands. So many generations and fuel types out there.

If I was spending 35,000 euro the difference in road tax (for these cars) wouldn't be one of the deciding factors. Depreciation for example is a major cost. You're basing a decision on 1-200 euro p.a.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

What kind of mileage do you do per annum? If your doing over 30k km them maybe mpg becomes important. If you do less than 20k then not so much.

Why is tax so important? It's a tiny portion of the cost of car ownership especially at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I do very little millage in general so I was hoping to keep the cost down even more by getting good mpg and decent road tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sniipe wrote: »
    I do very little millage in general so I was hoping to keep the cost down even more by getting good mpg and decent road tax.

Maybe go for petrol then?
    Might have a better chance of bargaining the price down as dealers probably find petrols harder to shift, as us Irish do love a good diesel!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If doing such small mileage then fuel costs are less significant. Motor tax is also a tiny proportion of over all running costs, neither should be major deciding factors in your choice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement