Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car insurance massive increase

Options
  • 06-01-2015 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

I've read the FAQ on car insurance and there is a section with regards to insurance increase, however, it is answered rather broadly and just advises me to shop around (which I have done).

Some backround; Full ROI licence, 4 years NCB (lived away for a year hence only 4 years NCB), zero penalty points, zero claims, insurance in own name since I started driving, 24 years old, male, Dublin area.

Anyways, currently drive a 1.5 petrol Nissan Almera with around 92k miles on the clock and registered in 02. For 2014, I got insured for 3rd Party only for €600, my insurance provider then sent me a renewal letter at the start of December and for the exact same policy which quoted me a whopping €1500+! This was inclusive of the 4 years NCB so the full quote was actually in the region of €2800! I did call them and say there must be a mistake but nope, that was 'the best they could offer'.

Now I have also started to shop around for a better quote and I have found some which are indeed better, but despite this, the majority of quotes are still coming in around the €1000+ range for 3rd Party, Fire & Theft.

Having been driving for 5 years and 24 y.o. I did not expect to be paying a premium near what I paid when I started driving?

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I can understand if rates increase a bit but this just seems ridiculous!

Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks for reading!

Sminky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 iamdave

Try AIG for a quote, I'm in the middle of shopping around and they seem to be the cheapest so far for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sminkypirate

haha so very true! The magic 8 ball business must be booming, i'll have to start selling them to insurance companies ¬_¬

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

Hi,

I've read the FAQ on car insurance and there is a section with regards to insurance increase, however, it is answered rather broadly and just advises me to shop around (which I have done).

Some backround; Full ROI licence, 4 years NCB (lived away for a year hence only 4 years NCB), zero penalty points, zero claims, insurance in own name since I started driving, 24 years old, male, Dublin area.

Anyways, currently drive a 1.5 petrol Nissan Almera with around 92k miles on the clock and registered in 02. For 2014, I got insured for 3rd Party only for €600, my insurance provider then sent me a renewal letter at the start of December and for the exact same policy which quoted me a whopping €1500+! This was inclusive of the 4 years NCB so the full quote was actually in the region of €2800! I did call them and say there must be a mistake but nope, that was 'the best they could offer'.

Now I have also started to shop around for a better quote and I have found some which are indeed better, but despite this, the majority of quotes are still coming in around the €1000+ range for 3rd Party, Fire & Theft.

Having been driving for 5 years and 24 y.o. I did not expect to be paying a premium near what I paid when I started driving?

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I can understand if rates increase a bit but this just seems ridiculous!

Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks for reading!

Sminky

Are you with FBD? i got a qoute of 1200 where as the previous year, was 600 now unless i had some phantom crash that i dont know about i dont see how this is possible i rang em up and ur wan on the phone says theres been abit of an increase.... i says thats a fair jump of a increase! thats with 5 yr no claims bonus...There must have been a destruction derby somewhere in the country to justify a 50% increase!

I went online tho and got a qoute for 670... i honestly dont understand it, ill sooner walk than pay more to them

evo2000 wrote: »
    Are you with FBD? i got a qoute of 1200 where as the previous year, was 600 now unless i had some phantom crash that i dont know about i dont see how this is possible i rang em up and ur wan on the phone says theres been abit of an increase.... i says thats a fair jump of a increase! thats with 5 yr no claims bonus

I went online tho and got a qoute for 670... i honestly dont understand it, ill sooner walk than pay more to them ****in jews!

yep with FBD, exact same situation! entered my details online again and it was cheaper...but all i could think of was that, jesus...I must have crashed at some point without me realising it! Mad them phantom crashes! Then the girl on the phone was just sayin 'oh well if you DO decide to stay with us, i'll keep your reference number on file' haha no thanks love, at least buy me dinner before you f**k me...absolute madness...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

evo2000 wrote: »
    Are you with FBD? i got a qoute of 1200 where as the previous year, was 600 now unless i had some phantom crash that i dont know about i dont see how this is possible i rang em up and ur wan on the phone says theres been abit of an increase.... i says thats a fair jump of a increase! thats with 5 yr no claims bonus...There must have been a destruction derby somewhere in the country to justify a 50% increase!

I went online tho and got a qoute for 670... i honestly dont understand it, ill sooner walk than pay more to them ****in jews!

Dafuq? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Dafuq? :rolleyes:

Ah here... i forgot how sensitive some people are on here ill edit it there was no offense ment by it just a figure of speech.. that and my anger at the insurance companys antics...

yep with FBD, exact same situation! entered my details online again and it was cheaper...but all i could think of was that, jesus...I must have crashed at some point without me realising it! Mad them phantom crashes! Then the girl on the phone was just sayin 'oh well if you DO decide to stay with us, i'll keep your reference number on file' haha no thanks love, at least buy me dinner before you f**k me...absolute madness...

Haha thats a fact! did ya have any better luck with any other insurance company's ? ive been shoppin around abit and 600 seems to be as low as i can get, which is fair annoyin!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

I knew these FBD increases would be on the way when read this:

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2014/1111/658374-fbd-holdings/

Have 2 cars and a house with them, all due within the next 3 months, looks like I'm going to be busy shopping around.

ml100 wrote: »
    I knew these FBD increases would be on the way when read this:

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2014/1111/658374-fbd-holdings/

Have 2 cars and a house with them, all due within the next 3 months, looks like I'm going to be busy shopping around.

Ahhh, makes sense now.. but the way they went about it was fair snakey chancin there arm with a big renewal qoute but yet being cheaper online! there only gonna lose more the way there carrying on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

My insurance is not due renewal till May,currently with FBD, but due to this thread i thought I would just do a quick online quote and its the same as last year,then again I am 50 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am dreading my insurance renewal this year. It went up last year and its not like I could get any quote from anyone else... As soon as any insurance company hears Subaru WRX, its like I shout out "Bacon and sausages" to a bunch of pigs in a farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Huh?!? AIG won't quote me, and FBD say €448 fully-comp. Business as usual then. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

why id there no benefit to haveing made no claim in the year? or ever, for that matter.
    instead the premium goes up and the whole song and dance of shopping around starts.

i've been quoted 830 for full with a couple of, to me, unnecessary extras i.e. childseats. and the 'value' quote (their words) is 630.
    i have never in over 20 years had a claim or an accident. my licence is sparkling.
    so why can't they come back with a lesser amount as a way to thank you for being a careful driver. to me it would make more sense but then, what do i know?

i'm with AA btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Similar story here, my insurance jumped 200 euro in one year and that's with Aviva. I'm currently shopping around and AIG is looking good and with a promotional discount too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

My son was a named driver with fbd last year for 1200 this years quote 1900 I asked them about putting him as the main driver and they quoted 3k. He got his own insurance with axa 1600 as a student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭akura

I've been with FBD for 2 years. My renewal in in april so just to get a ballpark figure i done an online quote. Same car and i'll be a year older(22) and have have an extra years ncd (3) and got this...

"Unfortunately at this time we are unable to quote you for the following reason(s):

You do not meet our New Business Underwriting criteria for this channel."

Gonna be an interesting renewal letter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

I would much rather stay with the same company every year, but they hike the price no matter who I am with. I shop around at renewal time and this year saved a tenner on my last year's premium. My last insurer wanted an eighty euro increase on the previous year. 123.ie did it for me for €272. Same coverage, even slightly better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

jimgoose wrote: »
    Huh?!? AIG won't quote me, and FBD say €448 fully-comp. Business as usual then. :pac::pac::pac:
    Similar here.

Also:
    Assumptions - "your car does not have any non standard audio equipment".
    :eek:
    Basic aftermarket radio or aftermarket integrated hands free invalidates your policy? Awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Hi,

The classy kind of Dublin area where Chinos were in in the 90's and dubes were mandatory or the one where it's acceptable to visit Tesco in your PJ's on horseback ?

Im 5 yrs ncb at 25, was 600 last year for third party, this year the best i can do is 678 full comp... guess my windscreen needed replacing anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Try brokers. I got quite a good deal with aig through munster group. The big boys (Axa, Allianz, no nonsense etc) were coming back with comical figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭thisonetaken

I think FBD told their shareholders they would hike insurance premiums this year to make up for the losses related to flooding. Some of the increases here sound insane though, sounds like they are pricing themselves out of the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Aviva and liberty were best for me on last renewal. No haggling or anything.

Majority of others were double the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I always got Aviva to match my best quote when they had an office you could go into and speak to someone. While I'm back with them now as they're one of the few that'll cover my car they've been more expensive for any "standard" cars I've owned the last few years.

The big European players Allianz, Zurich, AXA are likely to beat home grown companies. One thing to watch is what you're actually getting. You buy insurance in case you need it, no point needing it and finding its f*** all use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

When I recently renewed my insurance, I found to my dismay I am no longer covered for damage caused by sonic booms.:(:pac:
    But otherwise my premium went down with FBD.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭StoptheClocks

Try AA. This is my first year driving, i'm 33. I got fully comp from them with allianz . I rang allianz direct and they wouldn't quote me, they said AA can underwrite me, they couldn't . Quote of 850 for a 1.6.

I don't know how they make up their quotes because i rang them about a few times (before going to look at the car) with the same spec car (Ford 1.6 petrol) Everyday I got a different quote. Range 1200 - 850 .

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭StoptheClocks

Try AA. This is my first year driving, i'm 33. I got fully comp from them with allianz . I rang allianz direct and they wouldn't quote me, they said AA can underwrite me, they couldn't . Quote of 850 for a 1.6.

I don't know how they make up their quotes because i rang them a few times (before going to look at the car) with the same spec car (Ford 1.6 petrol) Everyday I got a different quote. Range 1200 - 850 .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Similar here.

Also:
    Assumptions - "your car does not have any non standard audio equipment".
    :eek:
    Basic aftermarket radio or aftermarket integrated hands free invalidates your policy? Awesome.

Everything invalidates your policy. I think driving the car invalidates your policy.
    Insurance companies are robbing bastards here and they pull prices out of their arse.
    So use, abuse, dump, switch and do it all over again.

MugMugs wrote: »
    The classy kind of Dublin area where Chinos were in in the 90's and dubes were mandatory or the one where it's acceptable to visit Tesco in your PJ's on horseback ?

Obviously! B)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Last November would have been my tenth year with FBD have had my own policy since 98 and before that as a named driver on the aul lads car with a full NCB since 98,FBD wanted just under €600 for renewal despite the policy the previous year was only €420 I would have stayed with them if the price was in and around the same as last year.
    Aviva wanted €900 yet the value of the car is around €1500:confused: the mad thing is a lad in the office bought a brand new car for €32000 yet his policy with Aviva was €300 :confused:I don't do massive miles every year probably about 5/6000km the engine is a 1.8 petrol.I ended up going through a broker who got me the policy for €400.
    One thing that was mentioned during my discussions with both Aviva and FBD was the age of my car(13 year old) and that FBD would not insure the same car next year,This got me thinking just say my car is involved in an accident and the insurance company wright it off and the value is €1500,Yet a brand new car could be involved in an accident with 10k worth of damage which the insurance company won't wright off presumably.
    How is it more expensive to insure an older car which is worth less than a newer model.

Advertisement