Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015 RBS Six Nations General Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

France
    Wowsers, i thought it might get upper mid range of about 8 weeks but they went for broke then mitigated it a bit.

10 weeks is hard to argue with though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

England
    Threads merged, we don't need a new thread every time someone is suspended and it's already being discussed

England
    Larbre34 wrote: »
    Wowsers, i thought it might get upper mid range of about 8 weeks but they went for broke then mitigated it a bit.

10 weeks is hard to argue with though.

I was unsure how this would turn out, but Neil Frances had an unusually good article in the indo today about the other French offences during the game and it's hard to argue with what appears to be fairly cynical intent across the team.

He went so far as to say a €10k punitive punishment would clamp down on this pretty quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Zzippy wrote: »
    Threads merged, we don't need a new thread every time someone is suspended and it's already being discussed

Sorry. I did do a search before I posted to see if somebody had mentioned it already. But I guess Pape is too small a word for the search engine. Now if he had been called Venigoor of Hesselink......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

England
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    Yeah, he went out of his way to knee Heaslip.

If you remember as soon as he knees him he then moves off to the right to actually help his team mate.

yea he is a right miserable sort. his captaincy last year was shambolic. in particular v Wales. Not to mention how he disrespected Rolland..in his final international. Actually should have got a ban for that from the IRB. FFR banned him for a game I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Pape - merited, sends out a message, should have been sent off once Barnes decided it was deliberate. As for assault, I asked my sister (who is a lawyer) about that once, and for a criminal charge it would actually be quite hard to prosecute successfully, at least under NZ law. Might be easier to get through a civil case if Heaslip had had permanent loss of employment or similar.

Assault in sport is quite an interesting area of criminal law, I remember learning about it while in college. Basically (from memory), the act has to be really beyond what anyone on the pitch could have possibly expected before they walked into the pitch. Normal rules of assault obviously don't apply as nearly every act on a rugby pitch involving the opposition would be assult if it happened outside the sport. I can't see a dig like this falling into that category. However, something like eye gouging or biting could a lot more easily.

Getting the law involved in rugby is a path to be avoided if possible as it will harm the sport in the long run due to insurance issues etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Sangre wrote: »
    Assault in sport is quite an interesting area of criminal law, I remember learning about it while in college. Basically (from memory), the act has to be really beyond what anyone on the pitch could have possibly expected before they walked into the pitch. Normal rules of assault obviously don't apply as nearly every act on a rugby pitch involving the opposition would be assult if it happened outside the sport. I can't see a dig like this falling into that category. However, something like eye gouging or biting could a lot more easily.

Getting the law involved in rugby is a path to be avoided if possible as it will harm the sport in the long run due to insurance issues etc.

A jury would have to be convinced beyond reasonable doubt that Pape with premeditation and with the deliberate intent to maim or injure attacked Heaslip, or something like that. One of the problems as you say is that by taking a rugby field players consent to the possibility of injury, I really think it would need something way out there like a sustained series of headbutts or repeated kicking to the head of the player or something before the police might be interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

England
    A jury would have to be convinced beyond reasonable doubt that Pape with premeditation and with the deliberate intent to maim or injure attacked Heaslip, or something like that. One of the problems as you say is that by taking a rugby field players consent to the possibility of injury, I really think it would need something way out there like a sustained series of headbutts or repeated kicking to the head of the player or something before the police might be interested.

Assault in Ireland probably won't get a jury trial unless you appeal.

England
    errlloyd wrote: »
    Assault in Ireland probably won't get a jury trial unless you appeal.

AFAIK serious assaults are heard in the Circuit Court, which is a jury trial. A "run-of-the-mill" assault would be heard in the District Court, which is judge only, so you are correct that an appeal from the District Court would go to a jury. (I am not a lawyer so this may not be the full picture)

• Advertisement

Am I the only one who thinks, dangerous as Fofana and Bastareud are as individual runners, they're probably not the greatest pairing and France could really use a distributor?

(Yes I agree)

My sincere condolences for the barbaric and almost inhumane slaughter of your cricket team EL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

Brian Smith wrote an excellent snippet the other week for one of the English papers about how he always though that a midfield partnership needed a distributor until he got to international level as a coach, and then he realised that it doesn't hold for international rugby in the same way it does for club rugby. Can't remember where I saw that article now.

Didn't see the article, but I did see the consequences of that thought at the time and I can't see I'm as convinced as he is ;)

In fairness, he actually did pretty well with the "No passing centres" thing for a while, and I kinda wish he'd kept the gig longer to see where it ended up. But, in any case, it did depend pretty heavily on a certain set of players i.e. sniping half-backs who distribute well on the gainline and wingers who excellent at tracking them. Do France have that? Cos I don't think they do.
    (Yes I agree)

My sincere condolences for the barbaric and almost inhumane slaughter of your cricket team EL :D

I knew this plan of replacing the South Africans with Irishmen wouldn't work out *ducks and runs*

I knew this plan of replacing the South Africans with Irishmen wouldn't work out *ducks and runs*

The jokes are flowing thick and fast online but one I saw was "Eoin Morgan playing for England because he couldn't get a look in with Ireland..." :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

England
    The jokes are flowing thick and fast online but one I saw was "Eoin Morgan playing for England because he couldn't get a look in with Ireland..." :pac:

I prefer the "Sleeper agent destroying England from within" idea myself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

France
    .ak wrote: »
    I was expecting 6'ish, you'd wonder if Heaslip didn't break vertebrae would it have been as sever.

Yeah it really looks like Heaslip actual injury played its part.

A few years back, when Flannery deliberately kicked Palisson (interestingly it already was Barnes the ref and Flannery got away with it - maybe because Healy was already out with a YC Barnes didn't want Ireland to be down to 13 men... - so proportionally Papé YC was almost a bit harsh :P :rolleyes:) he got a 6 weeks ban. But Palisson "just" had a dead leg and although he left the pitch and did not come back on after Flannery assault, he was able to play in Cardiff 2 weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

They offered us Captain Morgan, we said yes because we wanted a drink, we only found out the truth too late... ;)

Ah well. Rugby thread! Let's be on topic, right? :D

Wonder if Pape will make his way back in. I don't think he's good enough if someone else performs in his absence.

• Advertisement

England
    BBC showing the Scotland-Wales game from 1975 at the moment if anyone's interested in comparing...

Edit: Topically interesting - one of the Welsh players was taken off by the doctor for suspected concussion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

England
    I'm at a loose end this weekend so going hiking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

According to Simon Thomas, Castrogiovanni is out of next weekends game.
    Simon Thomas (@simonrug) tweeted at 4:25 PM on Sun, Feb 22, 2015:
    Italy prop Martin Castrogiovanni is out of the game against Scotland because a friend's dog bit him on the nose and he required stitches!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

France
    Was he trying to kiss it?

England
    How's the dog? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

England
    Jaysus. That's right up there with Euan Murray in the bizarre / stupid injury department.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

France
    On the wires at the moment, the assigned TMO for Ireland v England, Shaun Veldsman of SA was assaulted in his car near Newlands, Cape Town on Saturday after officiating at the Stormers home match. He received stab wounds, including to his lung and is recovering in hospital. He was to be among a crew of four South African officials at Lansdowne Road.

Terrible incident, best wishes to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

France
    Cusiter and Ashe back in the Scotland squad amongst a few others (Allen, Low and Denton).

Hopefully if Cusiter gets into the 22 its at Laidlaw's expense and not Hidalgo-Clyne, though as captain you can't see Laidlaw getting dropped entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

England
    A good video with some stats of the second round of the 6 nations

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

England
    phog wrote: »
    According to Simon Thomas, Castrogiovanni is out of next weekends game.
    19543261 wrote: »
    Was he trying to kiss it?
    How's the dog? :pac:

He might want to consider changing his Twitter pic (HT to the score)

martin-castro-2-390x285.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

England
    b.gud wrote: »
    A good video with some stats of the second round of the 6 nations

14s in, POC celebrating with a skip and a jump is quality! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Scotland
    IMO he has a point.

Many so called choke tackles should be classified as high and penalised accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

England
    IMO he has a point.

Many so called choke tackles should be classified as high and penalised accordingly.

Choke tackles aren't high. A high tackle is above the shoulders, choke tackles rarely are, and if they are they should be penalised.

I don't think they're dangerous. I think if there's any reason to outlaw them it's that they're a little cynical.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

France
    I agree with Edwards kind of, but not that it's dangerous.

Scrums/lineouts are ways of restarting the game. Purposely playing for a scrum is making the game boring imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

England
    Choke tackles aren't high. A high tackle is above the shoulders, choke tackles rarely are, and if they are they should be penalised.

I don't think they're dangerous. I think if there's any reason to outlaw them it's that they're a little cynical.

It's mad the amount of people believe they actually involve choking tackled players.

England
    MJohnston wrote: »
    It's mad the amount of people believe they actually involve choking tackled players.

I don't think anyone believes that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

England
    I don't think anyone believes that.

Go ahead and read a few comments sections on articles about Edwards' words and tell me you still think that.

Edit: going to clarify - I don't think most people think there is a literal choking action involved, but I think a lot of people believe it is supposed to involve tackling near the neck

England
    MJohnston wrote: »

They should rename it something more innocuous.

Asphyxiation tackle?

Scotland

I didn't say all choke tackles were high .......

I was referring to the many occasions when the tackled player is held upright in the maul situation by an arm around the shoulder/neck area ..... As you say this should be penalised but more often that not is let go.

It does happen .....Rory Best is a prime culprit as was DOC. Other teams do it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

England

I was referring to the many occasions when the tackled player is held upright in the maul situation by an arm around the shoulder/neck area ..... As you say this should be penalised but more often that not is let go.

It does happen .....Rory Best is a prime culprit as was DOC. Other teams do it as well.

I don't really think that it's done dangerously. If they're holding someone around the neck maybe but I really don't remember any cases of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

What Edwards is forgetting is the ball carrier dictates the tackle just as much as the defender. A player can get low with the ball and lead with the open shoulder to avoid this...

But Wales don't like that, because it's harder to play a direct running/offloading game that invites choke tackling.

If anything is dangerous it's the two on one chop tackling Wales employ.

Can't be looking at banning these things, it's the fact there's so many ways to skin a cat that makes the game interesting.

He's just making noise to get the refs ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

IMO he has a point.

I think they're practically mutually exclusive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

While we're at it the chop tackle should also be banned as in the vast majority of cases it's a completely illegal tackle.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The chop is bad all right, no arms used at all.

IMO he has a point.

He doesn't have a point. A high tackle is a high tackle, and should be penalised all day, no problem.

England

If we're going down that road they should look at the ruck and maul area where players are routinely grabbed around the head/neck and violently yanked to get them out of said ruck/maul. Now that's dangerous if anything is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭accensi0n

If we're going down that road they should look at the ruck and maul area where players are routinely grabbed around the head/neck and violently yanked to get them out of said ruck/maul. Now that's dangerous of anything is...

This is actually something I really dislike, it looks very dangerous. Basically a headlock and violent twist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

molloyjh wrote: »
    While we're at it the chop tackle should also be banned as in the vast majority of cases it's a completely illegal tackle.

im amazed lydiate hasnt suffered multiple concussions diving head first at an opponents feet/knees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

Scotland
    If no arms used then I agree.....

Penalty

England
    B-mtGIjVEAIs0RT.jpg

So Charteris in at lock, Lee back in at TH, North back, Cuthbert dropped and Liam Williams retained, Scott Baldwin ahead of Hibbard.

All those changes are fair enough I think, would have been very harsh to drop Liam Williams.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Deserved retention of Liam Williams but one has to wonder if the negative publicity that Cuthbert brought to himself with the phone throwing footage came into play. Gatland has been very loyal to him up to this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

What phone throwing?

I'd have kept Cuthbert over North imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement