Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015 RBS Six Nations General Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭TopOfTheRight

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

.ak wrote: »
    What phone throwing?

I'd have kept Cuthbert over North imo.

As TopOfTheRight posted. Don't know the context but an asshole move regardless. It's a bit of a stitch up as the incident happened in December but the footage was only released now for maximum impact.

Would have to query as to why the WRU only decided to speak with Cuthbert when it went public, however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

England
    Buer wrote: »
    Deserved retention of Liam Williams but one has to wonder if the negative publicity that Cuthbert brought to himself with the phone throwing footage came into play. Gatland has been very loyal to him up to this point.

Ah jaysus I'd hope not. I would hope it's the more mundane explanation that North has to be included and Williams is playing better than Cuthbert.

Edit: Mike Phillips has always been kept after his various indiscretions, would be harsh to drop Cuthbert...

England
    George North will become the youngest ever player to reach 50 caps this weekend, 6 weeks short of his 23rd birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Italy
    George North will become the youngest ever player to reach 50 caps this weekend, 6 weeks short of his 23rd birthday.

Yeah that is an impressive achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Scotland
    Relatively happy with that selection though I would like to see both Tipuric & Scott Williams get some time on the field this weekend. JD is pretty fortunate to be keeping Williams out ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

It's mental. He has missed a few tests through injury as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

England
    I'd have kept Cuthbert over North imo.
    Why when North is the much better player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Why when North is the much better player?

He hasn't played well for some time if I'm being honest. Even Gatland has publically commented on his poor form. He's been on fire for saints but is struggling to light it up for Wales, where as Cuthbert is consistently good, and very underrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

England
    He hasn't played well for some time if I'm being honest. Even Gatland has publically commented on his poor form. He's been on fire for saints but is struggling to light it up for Wales, where as Cuthbert is consistently good, and very underrated.

I actually thought you were talking about Cuthbert initially. Everything you said can be applied to him. Liam Williams is better than both of them!

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    I actually thought you were talking about Cuthbert initially. Everything you said can be applied to him. Liam Williams is better than both of them!

I'd agree about Williams, reluctantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

France
    Crazy revelations :eek: from Lagisquet, French backs coach! It's in french but the most "interesting" part is him saying (and he includes Yannick Bru, French forwards coach who apparently expressed similar feelings recently)
    "we were not prepared for the issues surrounding the French team. Despite 11 seasons in a club (Biarritz), I was not prepared to this level of requirement where you have to work fast and go straight to the point. With also the higher demand of top level international rugby. Even if, with Biarritz I had the experience of 42 min actual playing time games we were not going that far (in terms of demand). Recovery periods are shorter. It goes so fast that you need to adapt and do simpler things to be more productive. I discovered many things along the way. If I had known some of them I would have done some things differently."

=> http://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/6-nations/2015/tournoi-des-6-nations-patrice-lagisquet-xv-de-france-je-n-etais-pas-prepare-a-cette-exigence_sto4614475/story.shtml

--

It is extremely sincere of him to explain in details his job and the problems he's (they're) facing. He's also saying that they now managed to adapt and sort our defence out and make it play more efficiently and that they need to do the same about the attack. But it is very frightening at the same time. I mean, how can they not be prepared to the level of requirement of coaching Les Bleus? I'm not accusing him and the staff actually (though in terms of communication it's catastrophic for the players, how can they trust 100% a coach who admits he's/was not prepared for the job :eek:?). I'm pointing most of the blame on the whole federation. It sounds like they're left alone with the team and they have to handle everything on their own. It kinda give credit to the cliché of a federation of old fat guys who meet in big restaurants and work in the after-dinner liqueur room :rolleyes: ...

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

I think the players would have already seen for themselves he wasn't prepared for the job; they're the ones with the best view of him working after all. And it's easier, personally, to trust the man who holds his hands up and says "I made a mistake and am fixing it" than the man who pretends the mistake never happened. So I don't think it's bad for the players - providing they are now walking the walk.

But it is a very interesting admission though. There's been the odd leak from the England camp that some of their plans have been frustrated due to how little time they have with the players as well. I think it takes everyone by surprise, even if you're academically prepared for it.

Also slightly worrying if they are finding something that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I think the players would have already seen for themselves he wasn't prepared for the job; they're the ones with the best view of him working after all. And it's easier, personally, to trust the man who holds his hands up and says "I made a mistake and am fixing it" than the man who pretends the mistake never happened. So I don't think it's bad for the players - providing they are now walking the walk.

But it is a very interesting admission though. There's been the odd leak from the England camp that some of their plans have been frustrated due to how little time they have with the players as well. I think it takes everyone by surprise, even if you're academically prepared for it.

Also slightly worrying if they are finding something that works.

Sure it was the first thing that Joe said about the Ireland job, i.e. that he was worried about the amount of time he was going to get with the players. It's an issue for all coaches who make that step up so I'm sure it comes as little to no surprise to the players. The issue does seem to have been compounded in France though as they seemed, until recently at least, to be getting even less time together than the other nations.

Although to say it is something you are concerned about or that you took as a learning curve is slightly different to saying that you weren't at all prepared for it. That almost suggests that they didn't see it coming. Especially when he says things like "if I had known".

England
    B-rzjLGXAAA_L33.jpg

England
    Bastareaud and Spedding gone!

Other changes (Taofifenua, Parra, Guitoune) are enforced.

Not surprised at Spedding being gone, but didn't see that selection at 13 coming. And Parra starts too. Thank God they waited until after the Ireland game to make that particular call!

EDIT: Forgot about Kocketts injury.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

England
    Thats one hell of a bench!!!!!!!!!!!11

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Thats one hell of a bench!!!!!!!!!!!11

Yeah I'd hate to be the first man up to tackle Basta when he comes on... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

England
    That's a serious-looking team; Parra back at 9, although maybe Tales should join him with Lopez's form.

Bastareaud has his strengths, but Lamerat is a better rugby player and Dulin is a very clever operator too. And even Guitoune on the wing, he's electric.

Other changes (Taofifenua, Parra, Guitoune) are enforced.

Almost by accident France stumble upon their best team once again...

Debaty, Atonio, Suta and Bastareaud: Some serious bulk to come off the bench!

Mighty back three with Guitoune and Dulin coming into the team. Guitoune would have had more caps by now if not for injury.

It will be a fascinating match and hopefully better than the same match two years ago which was an awful spectacle.

England
    Almost by accident France stumble upon their best team once again...

I think Dulin is a massive addition and in fairness, PSA has chosen to do that.

Bastareaud was ineffective against the Ireland midfield and Roberts-Davies won't be any easier to knock over so I think Lamerat is a good call too.

I think Dulin is a massive addition and in fairness, PSA has chosen to do that.

Bastareaud was ineffective against the Ireland midfield and Roberts-Davies won't be any easier to knock over so I think Lamerat is a good call too.

They would've been better calls from day one though, that's my point.

England

Motion seconded. I think Dulin carried a knock into the tournament though, hasn't played much rugby.

While I always want to see France play well and reach their potential, another, oooh, 7 months of chaos would suit me just fine.

• Advertisement

Really can't wait for that game. On neutral ground. Both teams at full strength. Playing at their pomp. Winner takes all. There can be only one. I have the power. By the power of grey--- wait, sorry. Got kinda carried away there...

Motion seconded. I think Dulin carried a knock into the tournament though, hasn't played much rugby.

While I always want to see France play well and reach their potential, another, oooh, 7 months of chaos would suit me just fine.

I think PSA deserves to stay in the job, until....say November.

Debaty, Atonio, Suta and Bastareaud: Some serious bulk to come off the bench!

Mighty back three with Guitoune and Dulin coming into the team. Guitoune would have had more caps by now if not for injury.

It will be a fascinating match and hopefully better than the same match two years ago which was an awful spectacle.

I remember being in a pub in Donnybrook after the Legends game watching that...

giphy.gif

molloyjh wrote: »
    I remember being in a pub in Donnybrook after the Legends game watching that...

giphy.gif

The only interesting event was George North's dad losing it and running onto the pitch to celebrate his try. There have been many poor Six Nations matches in recent years but this one stands out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

England
    Brown out

• Advertisement

France
    Although to say it is something you are concerned about or that you took as a learning curve is slightly different to saying that you weren't at all prepared for it. That almost suggests that they didn't see it coming. Especially when he says things like "if I had known".
    Yeah... The federation is largely as guilty as the staff though... Instead of fighting for their nice position they'd better worry about French rugby present and future. That's basically what Laporte has been complaining about and the main reason for his application for the job.
    I think PSA deserves to stay in the job, until....say November.
    Even if we lose the next 3 games, PSA will see his contract through unless he resigns.

iroced wrote: »
    Even if we lose the next 3 games, PSA will see his contract through unless he resigns.

WAHOO!

Sorry....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

England
    Well Kocketts injury has forced PSA to pick Parra to start. But Basteraud out......where did that come from? Very serious looking team.

England
    Italian team shows yet more changes:

McLean
    Visentin, Morisi, Bacchin, Venditti
    Haimona, Gori
    Favaro, Parisse (cap), Minto
    Furno, Biagi
    Chistolini, Ghiraldini, Aguero

Manici, De Marchi, Cittadini, Fuser, Vunisa, Palazzani, Allan, Bisegni.

So yet another midfield combination; Masi is injured so Bacchin comes in and on the wing, Sarto is injured so Visentin (who looked decent at the RDS on Friday) comes in.

And obviously another change at tight head, Chistolini for Castro.

Can't see past another hammering for Italy unfortunately.

Italian team shows yet more changes:

McLean
    Visentin, Morisi, Bacchin, Venditti
    Haimona, Gori
    Favaro, Parisse (cap), Minto
    Furno, Biagi
    Chistolini, Ghiraldini, Aguero

Manici, De Marchi, Cittadini, Fuser, Vunisa, Palazzani, Allan, Bisegni.

So yet another midfield combination; Masi is injured so Bacchin comes in and on the wing, Sarto is injured so Visentin (who looked decent at the RDS on Friday) comes in.

And obviously another change at tight head, Chistolini for Castro.

Can't see past another hammering for Italy unfortunately.

Really? I think it'll be a tight game. The three fixtures this weekend will be the tightest imo, 1st vs 2nd, 3rd vs 4th and 5th vs 6th,

England
    Really? I think it'll be a tight game. The three fixtures this weekend will be the tightest imo, 1st vs 2nd, 3rd vs 4th and 5th vs 6th,

I dunno, it's definitely 5th vs 6th but two teams going in different directions, plus it's at Murrayfield and the Italian team just isn't settled. I'd say Scotland by 20-odd points.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Finn Russell's appeal has been dismissed. Original two-week suspension stands

France
    vienne86 wrote: »
    Well Kocketts injury has forced PSA to pick Parra to start. But Basteraud out......where did that come from? Very serious looking team.
    PSA said they'll use Bastareaud as an "impact player" to break the tired Welsh defence in the last 20/30 min.

England
    If that French team throw caution to the wind they could win a highly entertaining high scoring game.

I can't see anything for Italy only a trouncing. Interesting to see who Scotland play at 10, but it looks like it will be Laidlaw at 10, and either SHC at 9, or cotter might decide it's too early for him and put cusiter in instead..... which is more likely I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Yeah I'd hate to be the first man up to tackle Basta when he comes on... :(

Unless he tucks into a tasty Goujon first . . .

:D

I'll ummm get my . . . sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

France
    If that French team throw caution to the wind they could win a highly entertaining high scoring game.

I can't see anything for Italy only a trouncing. Interesting to see who Scotland play at 10, but it looks like it will be Laidlaw at 10, and either SHC at 9, or cotter might decide it's too early for him and put cusiter in instead..... which is more likely I think.

There's also talk of Horne coming in, local round here are stuck between a rock and a hard place on the matter, they know he's not great but at the same time the alternative is Laidlaw.

I'll be there Saturday anyway, Belhaven in hand!

England
    is heathcote a realistic choice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

France
    is heathcote a realistic choice?

Not after his horror show with Edinburgh last week and he's not done much at Edinburgh, in fact he's off to Wocester next season!

Horne gets the nod anyone for Saturday. Visser unsuprisingly dropped.
    Watch out for Hamish Watson off the bench.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/31642452

A reminder that some of the previews are still available to do for this weekend!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94409711&postcount=24

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Not after his horror show with Edinburgh last week and he's not done much at Edinburgh, in fact he's off to Wocester next season!

Horne gets the nod anyone for Saturday. Visser unsuprisingly dropped.
    Watch out for Hamish Watson off the bench.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/31642452

Visser is crap. Keeping the place warm for Maitland or another. He can run fast in a straight line and that's about it. All the other skills for an international wing are fairly lacking. Russell was excellent v France distinctly average v Wales hopefully turns on a show v England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Dulin was just coming back from injury tbf. As for it being their best team, injuries have Thomas and Picamoles in particular being out so it's not, and Trinh Duc should start over Lopez imo. Menini or Chiocci over Ben Arous aswell

Now Fofana's out of the Italy match and a doubt for England: http://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/6-nations/2015/tournoi-des-6-nations-xv-de-france-wesley-fofana-forfait-contre-l-italie_sto4623414/story.shtml

Lamerat is out for a few weeks as well.

When it's going bad...

Edit: Although some good news in that Teddy Thomas has returned to training for Racing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

England

Ah gutted for the guy.....after finally getting picked to start for France.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

France
    i wonder will the welsh close the roof at the millennium??

Advertisement