Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015 RBS Six Nations General Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

sydthebeat wrote: »
    so what has speeding done to demand his place back over dulin?

i like speeding but he has been distinctly average so far... and dulin cant be carrying an injury if hes the 25th player can he?

He's eaten more chicken and rice.

Unfortunately some coaches are going for that over skill.

I will probably be lambasted for this but there are currently more skilled centres in Ireland but few are capable of matching the bulk and power of the current incumbents.

I re-watched the France game last night and in the opening quarter something really stuck out, and whilst it was commented on at the time it really stuck re-watching it last night because of our current established midfield, and that was when Basteraud got the ball, he sucked in both Darce and O'Driscoll, arguably the most skilled midfield combo in the world, and two of them just bounced of him. These are two guys who are well able to tackle over their weight, but they couldn't even slow him down.

It's sobering to think that gone are the days of the little skilful men.

However, as somebody said in another thread the other day, the two don't have to be mutually exclusive. You can be big, and be skilful. Like Henshaw. But I do feel coaches will move towards a bigger guy at the risk of losing some skillsets - I really don't think Payne has been that good, and he's failed in his role as an outside distributor completely, but he tackles hard and chases hard and is an extra full back on the field so he suits that gameplan.

So Spedding might not be positionally the best fullback in the world, he's a fairly poor counter attacker, but he is an absolute beast and his conditioning is fantastic. So I can see the logic there. Although watching the France game last night made me realize just how good Dulin is. I'd be picking him personally and I'd be telling Spedding to go away until he fixes certain elements of his game - which are fixable. To me, the selection of Spedding screams desperation. PSA feels he doesn't have the 15 to compete with the big guys and the level other teams are playing at. Guys are substituted for bigger units that can go toe to toe with a bigger opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

.ak wrote: »
    He's eaten more chicken and rice.

Unfortunately some coaches are going for that over skill.

I will probably be lambasted for this but there are currently more skilled centres in Ireland but few are capable of matching the bulk and power of the current incumbents.

I re-watched the France game last night and in the opening quarter something really stuck out, and whilst it was commented on at the time it really stuck re-watching it last night because of our current established midfield, and that was when Basteraud got the ball, he sucked in both Darce and O'Driscoll, arguably the most skilled midfield combo in the world, and two of them just bounced of him. These are two guys who are well able to tackle over their weight, but they couldn't even slow him down.

It's sobering to think that gone are the days of the little skilful men.

However, as somebody said in another thread the other day, the two don't have to be mutually exclusive. You can be big, and be skilful. Like Henshaw. But I do feel coaches will move towards a bigger guy at the risk of losing some skillsets - I really don't think Payne has been that good, and he's failed in his role as an outside distributor completely, but he tackles hard and chases hard and is an extra full back on the field so he suits that gameplan.

So Spedding might not be positionally the best fullback in the world, he's a fairly poor counter attacker, but he is an absolute beast and his conditioning is fantastic. So I can see the logic there. Although watching the France game last night made me realize just how good Dulin is. I'd be picking him personally and I'd be telling Spedding to go away until he fixes certain elements of his game - which are fixable. To me, the selection of Spedding screams desperation. PSA feels he doesn't have the 15 to compete with the big guys and the level other teams are playing at. Guys are substituted for bigger units that can go toe to toe with a bigger opposition.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it's probably a benefit that Spedding is playing for Bayonne currently. He stands out in a struggling team and is a key player. When he goes to Clermont next year he'll do well to get ahead of Abendanon.

Dulin is a class player. I'd love a player of his ability at Munster. However there's a suggestion that, like Parra, it's a personality clash issue with PSA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Buer wrote: »
    He hasn't got a clue, he hasn't got a cluuuuu-ooooo, Philippe Saint Andre, he hasn't got a clue.

I think he's the worst (French) coach ever. More rearranging deck chairs on the titanic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Swiwi. wrote: »
    I think he's the worst (French) coach ever.

Which takes some doing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭scott1974

I didn't realise Fofana was dropped. Not a major surprise as he hasn't looked like the player who was ripping defences apart in 2013. Mermoz has been playing well for Toulon having become first choice 12 at Toulon with Giteau moving to 10.

Bastareaud could be a great impact sub in the last 20 against a tired pack. Once he gets over the ball at the breakdown he's near impossible to clear out.

Fofana and Lamerat are both injured... I think his hand was forced on some of those changes...plus Parra injured but Dulin is fit!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

France have lost their lost 2 away games to Italy, can the Italians make it a hat trick?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭JonnyF

The veteran Zebre fly-half has been called up with both Tommaso Allan and Kelly Haimona suffering injury scares this week.

Allan has been struggling with a twisted ankle, while Haimona suffered genital trauma during training yesterday.

f**k me, that must have been a bad shot to require them calling up a replacement.

Do remember playing a game against Nure before where one of our guys got a kick downstairs that was so bad he had to go to hospital.

Ugh, I feel ill reading that.

Alex Dunbar's injury is a serious one: a ruptured CL. It's a big blow not only for Scotland but Glasgow as well. Dunbar could miss RWC too which would be a pity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

England
    Scotland:
    Stuart Hogg
    Dougie Fife
    Mark Bennett
    Matt Scott
    Tommy Seymour
    Finn Russell
    Greig Laidlaw (capt)
    Alasdair Dickinson
    Ross Ford
    Euan Murray
    Jim Hamilton
    Jonny Gray
    Robert Harley
    Blair Cowan
    David Denton

Replacements: Fraser Brown, Ryan Grant, Geoff Cross, Tim Swinson, Johnnie Beattie, Adam Ashe, Sam Hidalgo-Clyne, Greig Tonks

That team is going to get ripped to shreds I reckon. A really awful front row, Russell is back in at fly-half but I don't think it will make much odds and a 6-2 split on the bench that probably reflects Scotland's lack of depth in the backs more than any tactical approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Scotland
    I have a fantasy rugby team with Fofana, I see he is injured/dropped.
    Who would ye recommend a a replacement given the team changes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

England
    I have a fantasy rugby team with Fofana, I see he is injured/dropped.
    Who would ye recommend a a replacement given the team changes?

If you are restricted to just France, Huget,

If you are restricted to just a centre, Jonathon Joseph

If you are restricted to just a French Centre, Fikou.

Scotland
    errlloyd wrote: »
    If you are restricted to just France, Huget,

If you are restricted to just a centre, Jonathon Joseph

If you are restricted to just a French Centre, Fikou.

Thanks!
    I have Joseph, I am restricted to an outside back from France.

I was considering Huget or Spedding. I haven't seen enough of Spedding to decide.

England
    According to Paddy Power Hugett, Nakataci, Fikou and Mermoz are all more likely to score than Spedding.

Scotland
    According to Paddy Power Hugett, Nakataci, Fikou and Mermoz are all more likely to score than Spedding.

I could swap Le Roux out for a 2nd French outside back i.e. Huget and Fikou.

• Advertisement

England
    InfograficaFormazionevFRA130315_DEF.jpg

Still no sign of Castro, not sure if it's related to his dog bite (no mention of him in the press release).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Looks like Haimona got over his genital trauma anyway, what ever is was!

InfograficaFormazionevFRA130315_DEF.jpg

Still no sign of Castro, not sure if it's related to his dog bite (no mention of him in the press release).
    Castrogiovanni is dropped I believe. He will be playing for Toulon tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Looks like Haimona got over his genital trauma anyway, what ever is was!

Can anyone explain to me why he keeps getting the nod? Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

France
    molloyjh wrote: »
    Can anyone explain to me why he keeps getting the nod? Anyone?

He's got the balls for a game like this?

• Advertisement

Technical Q: who wins the 6N if teams tied on games won AND points difference?

England
    Swiwi. wrote: »
    Technical Q: who wins the 6N if teams tied on games won AND points difference?

Number of tries, then if still level, the championship is shared.

Number of tries, then if still level, the championship is shared.

In theory could have a 3-way split or even 4-way if france win and wales/eng/ire lose. I imagine England are out in front on tries scored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Wales
    ladies 10 up now

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭timaru89

England
    After watching Italy v France I don't know whether I'm more worried about Wales destroying Italy or England putting a big score on France!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

Italy v Wales could be Shaun Edwards last 6Ns games with Wales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

phog wrote: »

Is there a suspension mechanism for accumalated yellow cards.

phog wrote: »

I suppose this is Gatland's 8th 6N and if they hadn't of won against us would be looking at a second comp where they only won 3 games, assuming they beat Italy. So there might have been a question mark over whether they'd renew everyone's contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Berticus

England
    Is anybody getting the 8.05pm flight back to Dublin from Glasgow next Saturday after the Scotland game (in Edinburgh) which should finish at 4.45pm?!

If not, if anybody can tell me if it's realistic making this flight, I would be very grateful!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

England
    Berticus wrote: »
    Is anybody getting the 8.05pm flight back to Dublin from Glasgow next Saturday after the Scotland game (in Edinburgh) which should finish at 4.45pm?!

If not, if anybody can tell me if it's realistic making this flight, I would be very grateful!

No idea, but always if in doubt play it safe, no point getting stressed out rushing for a flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

France

Murrayfield is really not that far from the airport, it is the right side of town. Last game that I went to we got a taxi and it took 20 mins, if you have one organised after the game, 30-45 mins from the stadium to the airport would be very achievable.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

England
    RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Murrayfield is really not that far from the airport, it is the right side of town. Last game that I went to we got a taxi and it took 20 mins, if you have one organised after the game, 30-45 mins from the stadium to the airport would be very achievable.

His flight is from Glasgow though and the game is in Edinburgh, 50 odd miles away. That would definitely worry me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

France
    Read it Robbie ! Edinburgh to Glasgow after the game....... 2 hours I would allow, or change my flight to Edinburgh !

England
    The Six Nations committee reckon England are favourites to lift the trophy anyway:
    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/mar/16/wales-trophy-presentation-six-nations

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Berticus

England
    RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Read it Robbie ! Edinburgh to Glasgow after the game....... 2 hours I would allow, or change my flight to Edinburgh !

Yeah if it takes 2 hours we're good (airport at 7, flight at 8.05!) but any hiccups and we might be stuck in Glasgow for the night potentially after seeing England nick the six nations!!! That would not be money well spent!

England
    The Six Nations committee reckon England are favourites to lift the trophy anyway:
    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/mar/16/wales-trophy-presentation-six-nations

Even if we were marginal favorites over England it'd still be worth giving them the real one. Whatever about favorites or not, only one team can actually be crowned champions right after their match, and that team is England, so they may as well have the real trophy.

Should be okay so long as you book the Haymarket -> Glasgow Train in advance.

Click the Public Transport option, then change "Leave Now" to ~5.15pm Saturday and you should be able to make it to the airport for 18:46.

Haymarket station is no more than a 15 minute walk from Murrayfield, and the new tram service services both of the stops.
    1 hour train from Haymarket to Glasgow, 25 min bus to the airport.

So Ive heard some "opinions" that Barnes was paid to fix the game by the illuminati (tv companies) so it'd make the last set of game spike in viewers.

Thats some quality tin foil right there.

• Advertisement

Even if we were marginal favorites over England it'd still be worth giving them the real one. Whatever about favorites or not, only one team can actually be crowned champions right after their match, and that team is England, so they may as well have the real trophy.

672513710607072805.jpg

So Ive heard some "opinions" that Barnes was paid to fix the game by the illuminati (tv companies) so it'd make the last set of game spike in viewers.

I assumed the first line of your post was parody.

But then I read the second, holy mother of god there are some crazy people out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

you promised you wouldn't tell anyone else...:(

England
    Tbh, I'm glad we didn't draw. Sure we could have gone to Scotland next week played cup rugby and won the championship, but this has set up an epic final weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

France
    Tbh, I'm glad we didn't draw. Sure we could have gone to Scotland next week played cup rugby and won the championship, but this has set up an epic final weekend.

Illuminati !!!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I always wondered about that thanks

• Advertisement

Aha! This all makes sense now. And the incorruptible Steve Walsh refused to play any part in it.
    eird-al-yankovic-tin-foil-hat-160x160.png

I can confirm that the match wasn't on the agenda in our committee meeting last week.

After staying strangely quiet last week Gatland is back with a bang this week.

http://www.the42.ie/gatland-fixture-list-ireland-lesser-teams-1998090-Mar2015/

Is this kind of thing not every bit as bad as moaning about the ref? And I'm assuming he's talking about France when he's talking about favourable fixture lists. But then what good has it done them?

Of course his case isn't helped when he says in the next 2 years their first games are Ireland and England respectively. Eh Warren, check that again. It's actually Ireland and Italy. Yes, the same Italy you started your campaign against last year. So in 2 of 4 years they will have started against Italy and he thinks they don't get drawn against "lesser teams"?

Patronising, whinging and just plain wrong. Keep it up there Gats. Keep it up.

molloyjh wrote: »
    After staying strangely quiet last week Gatland is back with a bang this week.

http://www.the42.ie/gatland-fixture-list-ireland-lesser-teams-1998090-Mar2015/

Is this kind of thing not every bit as bad as moaning about the ref? And I'm assuming he's talking about France when he's talking about favourable fixture lists. But then what good has it done them?

Of course his case isn't helped when he says in the next 2 years their first games are Ireland and England respectively. Eh Warren, check that again. It's actually Ireland and Italy. Yes, the same Italy you started your campaign against last year. So in 2 of 4 years they will have started against Italy and he thinks they don't get drawn against "lesser teams"?

Patronising, whinging and just plain wrong. Keep it up there Gats. Keep it up.

I loved the main pic and the caption below... He really doesn't come across as that bright...

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

England
    The last 15 years have been very tough on England and Wales in terms of the draw we have both received. I don’t know who is making that draw. One team has had a pretty easy run in the last 10 or 15 years and even over the next two or three years.

just for teh craic... since the 6 nations started, Irelands opening games

Italy 7 (4 away, 3 home)
    wales 4 (2 away, 2 home)
    France 2 (1 each)
    Scotland (1 each)
    England 1 away

• Advertisement
Advertisement