Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015 RBS Six Nations General Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Never rated Wigglesworth myself, give me Care or Dickson any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I see Sky Sports have won the rights to The Open Championship and are going to turn their attention to the Six Nations now.

After the 2012 Olympics and general budget cut backs it looks like BBC are taking less of an interest in sport so losing the Six Nations to Sky looks very likely.

They said it would never happen to golf but did, only a matter of time before the Six Nations is not on free to air TV I'm afraid.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/feb/03/sky-sports-buys-open-championship-golf-bbc

It's an absolutely insane move by the R&A and doing the same with the six nations would be terrible in so many ways. Moving off FTA massively impacted cricket in England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Le XV tricolore aligné contre l'Ecosse:
    Spedding - Huget, Bastareaud, Fofana, Thomas - (o) Lopez, (m) Kockott -
    Le Roux, Chouly, Dusautoir (cap) - Maestri, Papé - Slimani, Guirado, Menini.

Remplaçants:
    Kayser, Atonio, Ben Arous, Taofifenua, Goujon, Parra, Tales, Lamerat.

Around this time two seasons ago Alexandre Menini was second choice at loosehead at Biarritz. Now he's first choice for France at 31 years old! The two bottom clubs are represented with 2 from La Rochelle and 3 for Castres.

I see Huget there, is that the Tag-Rugby team?

England match-day 23 to face Wales

15. Mike Brown (Harlequins, 33 caps)
    Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby, 4 caps)
    Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby, 6 caps)
    Luther Burrell (Northampton Saints, 7 caps)
    Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby, 11 caps)
    George Ford (Bath Rugby, 6 caps)
    Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 42 caps)
    1. Joe Marler (Harlequins, 26 caps)
    Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints, 61 caps)
    Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers, 45 caps)
    David Attwood (Bath Rugby, 16 caps)
    George Kruis (Saracens, 4 caps)
    James Haskell (Wasps, 53 caps)
    Chris Robshaw (captain, Harlequins, 32 caps)
    Billy Vunipola (Saracens, 12 caps)

Replacements
    16. Tom Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 17 caps)
    Mako Vunipola (Saracens, 15 caps)
    18. Kieran Brookes (Newcastle Falcons, 6 caps)
    Tom Croft (Leicester Tigers, 38 caps)
    Nick Easter (Harlequins, 47 caps)
    Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens, 16 caps)
    Danny Cipriani (Sale Sharks, 9 caps)
    Billy Twelvetrees (Gloucester Rugby, 16 caps)

http://www.englandrugby.com/news/centres-burrell-and-joseph-start-cardiff/

• Advertisement

A very 'green' 10-14 there.
    All players in very, very good form though.

Does Cipriani cover 15? Croft as second row cover too.
    That's a very odd bench tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The starting XV is actually a pretty decent looking side, locks excepted. The bench not so much though. I don't really rate their replacement backs at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

England

Parling, Lawes and Launchbury all missing, they are down to bare bones really.

Cipriani started his pro life as a 15, I'd be very nervous about his ability to do it at 6N level though.

If that backline clicks, they're going to be running in tries from everywhere, but it's very experimental.

Also, Dan Cole hasn't played in a couple of months I think.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

England
    They will be praying to all the gods that they suffer no second row injury early on.
    Croft can 'do a job' but is not an international second row. Easter is not a 7 and i would argue no longer a valid 6.

messy.

loads of pressure on george fords shoulders for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Le XV tricolore aligné contre l'Ecosse:
    Spedding - Huget, Bastareaud, Fofana, Thomas - (o) Lopez, (m) Kockott -
    Le Roux, Chouly, Dusautoir (cap) - Maestri, Papé - Slimani, Guirado, Menini.

Remplaçants:
    Kayser, Atonio, Ben Arous, Taofifenua, Goujon, Parra, Tales, Lamerat.

How can you have a French team with names like Scott Spedding and Teddy Thomas in it? What's that about?

Modern globalised world. Grumble grumble. Wasn't like that in my day......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

England
    For the same of my fantasy team, who is likely to be goal kicking, kockott or Lopez?

England
    How can you have a French team with names like Scott Spedding and Teddy Thomas in it? What's that about?

Thomas (the 's' is silent) is as French as garlic, stripey jumpers and vehement objections to long working hours. Kockott on the other hand...

errlloyd wrote: »
    For the same of my fantasy team, who is likely to be goal kicking, kockott or Lopez?

It will be decided on Friday. That doesn't mean it will be announced though.

The ads for the Six Nations on RTE featuring the late great Bill McLaren got me thinking about what a fine commentator he was and how a good commentary can add something to a match.

Here's a clip of him at his very best. Granted, he is describing a wonderful try but the way he paces his commentary and conveys the excitement is just magical. Watching it with the sound off is like listening to a classic rock track like the Rolling Stone's Satisfaction with the guitar riff muted.

Enjoy.

Campese try against Scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

England

Luckily we don't have that problem with Rickie O'Strauss, Robbie McDiack, or Jared O'Driscoll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

Can't believe that Burrell is starting for England this week. Granted he had a good tournament last year but he has been really poor defensively this year for Northampton where he has been brushed aside or caught in no mans land plenty of times. I accept that they are stretched in the centres but with Roberts and Davies up against him that could spell trouble for England on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

MJohnston wrote: »
    Luckily we don't have that problem with Rickie O'Strauss, Robbie McDiack, or Jared O'Driscoll.

You forgot Roddy Mc'AhYou

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

England
    Delighted to see Anthony Watson getting a go on the wing. Here's hoping he shows his potential this tournament (except for against us obviously!). He is a very talented lad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

France
    Surprised to see Ireland so high in the poll.
    I think England are faves to win.
    We are the team to beat this year.
    Don't see Wales doing much unless the back 3 win games for them on their own.

• Advertisement

England have a lot of injuries and have to travel to Wales and Ireland. Given the order of matches Ireland have the best chance IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

England
    Gits_bone wrote: »
    Surprised to see Ireland so high in the poll.
    I think England are faves to win.
    We are the team to beat this year.
    Don't see Wales doing much unless the back 3 win games for them on their own.

Ach they're under pressure this year....injuries.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

England
    2016 and 2017 fixtures announced.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

2016 schedule is pretty bloody rough!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

England
    Yeah, that's a tough first few weeks for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

England
    Podge_irl wrote: »

Looks like 2 weeks prep for England though and we'll be world champions then anyway so don't worry.:D

Edit: the 2017 one will be tough since Joe no doubt will be lions coach for that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

England
    The ads for the Six Nations on RTE featuring the late great Bill McLaren got me thinking about what a fine commentator he was and how a good commentary can add something to a match.

have you seen the current Guinness ad about him?

Podge_irl wrote: »

Yeah but the 2017 one is pretty good at least.

England
    10/03/2017 20:05
    WALES V IRELAND

First ever Friday night game for Ireland. We've two years to get our heads round it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

10/03/2017 20:05
    WALES V IRELAND

First ever Friday night game for Ireland. We've two years to get our heads round it.

Can you imagine if they fixed it for the Friday after that :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

England
    CatFromHue wrote: »

It would be perfect

CatFromHue wrote: »

Could you imagine the guff Gatland would come out with then!? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

England
    Nim wrote: »
    2016 and 2017 fixtures announced.

2016 looks like the hardest start we have had since......2007 & 2004? Since the 6N started, 2016 will be the third time Ireland have to play the other top three on successive wkends, from the outset. Very unfair as it puts Ireland under pressure from the off and diminishes the chance of building that all important momentum. Of course poor Italy and Scotland suffer a similar fate.
    England did play the other top 3 from the start in '05 when Wales won the Slam. But never France, or Wales for that matter.
    Also either England or France, and sometimes both, will usually play against 1 of the top 4 nations in the last round. The only time that hasn't happened, '05 and '09, both Wales and Ireland won Grand Slams!

Is it down to tv demands? Or the evil RFU & FFR getting their way again? - keeping Wales onside to hold sway.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

The two options for full-back cover are to stick Cips there, or to stick Watson there, move Joseph to the wing, and bring on Twelvetrees. Neither really commends themselves. However, if we'd stuck a back three player in 23, we'd have no answer to Burrell getting injured, which would be worse.

Puzzled by the Croft/Easter call. Both of them can play second row, but Kitchener's talented and in fine form, and plays there a lot more regularly. I suspect the plan will be for neither Attwood or Kruis to come off unless they have to; Croft will replace Haskell as the game opens up, Easter will replace Vunipola when he tires. If they do, I suspect Easter replaces them; no questioning he has the power to push a scrum or maul. Croft is the more like for like lineout replacement though, and he does have the 19 jersey.

It's a decent side but there's lot of worrying little niggles; second-row/full-back injuries will dictate a major reshuffle, lots of untested combinations, lots of green players just to point at the obvious. Feel Wales are bound to exploit one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Lads, any decent Six Nations previews ala The Guardian et.al.?

The problem with papers in the NH as they are understandably slanted towards the country they are located in. Stand up our good friends from GAGR

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/2015-six-nations-preview/

Not saying I agree with everything, but at least it's in theory a neutral viewpoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I am very eager to see that English midfield fire. Could be a great combo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Joseph has been outstanding in the Prem this year and had a great game the other week against Toulouse. Really looking forward to seeing how he goes, could be the creative spark England are looking for however against this established Welsh centre partnership I think they might struggle. Roberts ran all over Burrell in the recent Racing V Northampton game and is coming nicely back on form.

Really disappointed the roof isn't remaining closed as the atmosphere for the 72,000 and millions watching at home would have been much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Scotland
    Joseph has been outstanding in the Prem this year and had a great game the other week against Toulouse. Really looking forward to seeing how he goes, could be the creative spark England are looking for however against this established Welsh centre partnership I think they might struggle. Roberts ran all over Burrell in the recent Racing V Northampton game and is coming nicely back on form.

Really disappointed the roof isn't remaining closed as the atmosphere for the 72,000 and millions watching at home would have been much better.
    Personally I'm neither here nor there when it comes to the question of the roof being closed. It's just something for the media to write about prior to the game.

Saying that I think the choice on the roof should be for Wales to make as the home team.

The atmosphere is going to be great in any case ........ Can't wait!

Gerry T tipping us for the title ...... Shock! Woody going with his heart.

Personally I'm neither here nor there when it comes to the question of the roof being closed. It's just something for the media to write about prior to the game.

Saying that I think the choice on the roof should be for Wales to make as the home team.

The atmosphere is going to be great in any case ........ Can't wait!

I reckon Wales will ease this comfortably by about 10 points - too many injuries to key England players. In fact, if Wales win, I reckon yet another GS is on the cards, with the key match being the ireland fixture.

But I also reckon, this will have minimal impact on what happens in Pool A in the RWC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

France
    Only 7 people voting for Wales in the poll here. Think that's underestimating their chances

• Advertisement

Scotland
    Swiwi. wrote: »
    I reckon Wales will ease this comfortably by about 10 points - too many injuries to key England players. In fact, if Wales win, I reckon yet another GS is on the cards, with the key match being the ireland fixture.

But I also reckon, this will have minimal impact on what happens in Pool A in the RWC.
    Agree ......This is largely irrelevant come WC time.

Saying that if a team has a poor tournament their respective coaches will all come under some degree of pressure ......... Applies especially to England & France though WG will not be immune if Wales come unstuck. It will be interesting to see how JS reacts if Ireland lose a couple early on.k

Scotland
    8-10 wrote: »
    Only 7 people voting for Wales in the poll here. Think that's underestimating their chances
    I was the only one for ages.

It's not all driven by the heart either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

France
    I was the only one for ages.

It's not all driven by the heart either.

Think they've gone backwards. Played awful in the autumn internationals tbh. Fiji were down to 12 or 13 and barely bet them.

Scotland
    Gits_bone wrote: »
    Think they've gone backwards. Played awful in the autumn internationals tbh. Fiji were down to 12 or 13 and barely bet them.
    For the team that played Fiji ....... Read the Irish Wolfhounds last week.

Most sane people aren't judging how Ireland will go on last Friday.

Riskymove wrote: »
    have you seen the current Guinness ad about him?

Er yeah. Same ad, isn't it.

Agree ......This is largely irrelevant come WC time.

Saying that if a team has a poor tournament their respective coaches will all come under some degree of pressure ......... Applies especially to England & France though WG will not be immune if Wales come unstuck. It will be interesting to see how JS reacts if Ireland lose a couple early on.k

Indeed to all of that. I don't hold out much hope for Italy, but I hope Scotland come good. The 6N is less interesting when 2 teams are essentially easybeats.

Any of the original 5N (probably not Scotland to be honest) could finish as high as first or as low as 4th - and might not have even played that badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

I know it's an older one, but I love this opening from 2013. Really gets me excited for this weekend!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=owP1J5cfRHE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

England
    RoundBox11 wrote: »
    I know it's an older one, but I love this opening from 2013. Really gets me excited for this weekend!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=owP1J5cfRHE

Great opening. Shame the campaign was such an omnishambles for Ireland.

Scotland team to play France:

15 Stuart Hogg
    14 Tommy Seymour
    13 Mark Bennett
    12 Alex Dunbar
    11 Tim Visser
    10 Finn Russell
    09 Greig Laidlaw CAPTAIN

01 Alasdair Dickinson
    02 Ross Ford
    03 Euan Murray
    04 Richie Gray
    05 Jonny Gray
    06 Rob Harley
    07 Blair Cowan
    08 Johnnie Beattie

16 Fraser Brown
    17 Gordon Reid
    18 Geoff Cross
    19 Jim Hamilton
    20 Alasdair Strokosch
    21 Sam Hidalgo-Clyne
    22 Peter Horne
    23 Dougie Fife

9-15 looks really good on paper for Scotland. I'm not sure about that pack though. The bench doesn't exactly inspire either.

I think it will be a close game. Vern Cotter will have come up against the majority of the French players while at Clermont.

• Advertisement
Advertisement