Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless to wired network

Options
  • 06-01-2015 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I am looking at setting up a network upstairs in my house.

I have a modem downstairs which sends wifi to the rest of the house, however I need to be able to wire directly into a device upstairs.

What I'm wondering is, is it possible to set up a device upstairs that would pick up the wifi and then be able to wire from that device into the other device that needs the wire.

Essentially, I need an alternative to feeding a wire from the modem downstairs up to the 2nd floor as that is not an option for various reasons.

Sorry if this does not make sense.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Lidl or Aldi had a repeater a couple of weeks ago . You can plug it in and it takes the wifi signal and re transmits or you can plug in a CAT5 cable directly to it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaDerv

I use a Netgear Ethernet Extender. It comes in two parts, both are identical. They look like a plug with a port for Ethernet. Simple to use. Plug one in by your router and connect it by Ethernet cable to the router. Plug in the second and connect it to the device/PC. It works perfectly for me, just as good as connecting it to the router directly and much tidier. I'd link the one I have but I don't have that privilege yet! I bought mine in Currys Galway. €50 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

DaDerv wrote: »
    I use a Netgear Ethernet Extender. It comes in two parts, both are identical. They look like a plug with a port for Ethernet. Simple to use. Plug one in by your router and connect it by Ethernet cable to the router. Plug in the second and connect it to the device/PC. It works perfectly for me, just as good as connecting it to the router directly and much tidier. I'd link the one I have but I don't have that privilege yet! I bought mine in Currys Galway. €50 I think.

Is this the one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-XWNB5201-500Mbps-Powerline-Extender/dp/B009T67ZSQ/ref=sr_1_1/275-5278605-3357759?ie=UTF8&qid=1420559892&sr=8-1&keywords=netgear+ethernet+extender

I think thats just wireless extender? Maybe I'm wrong and it has the option for ethernet, i cant tell. My own just does ethernet. I use it on the PC as Wireless can be unpredictable and the download speeds are better via ethernet. Try the Netgear ethernet adapter mini powerline twin pack, thats what im using, or something very similar. It says its 54.90 on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Yeah thats the one. Powerline Adapters. It will give you a wired connection and from what i can tell there is no loss of speeds at all using this or having one long ethernet cable connecting you to the modem. They recommend connecting it directly to a power source, as in not using an extension lead but I'd consider myself a heavy internet user and see no problem with it either way.

I got mine in Nov 2013 where my wireless connection was terrible on my laptop because of the distance to the router. I still use it now on my desktop.

I really have to lose this new user tag links would be very helpful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

DaDerv wrote: »
    Yeah thats the one. Powerline Adapters. It will give you a wired connection and from what i can tell there is no loss of speeds at all using this or having one long ethernet cable connecting you to the modem. They recommend connecting it directly to a power source, as in not using an extension lead but I'd consider myself a heavy internet user and see no problem with it either way.

I got mine in Nov 2013 where my wireless connection was terrible on my laptop because of the distance to the router. I still use it now on my desktop.

I really have to lose this new user tag links would be very helpful!

Not exactly, homeplugs send a radio signal using the electrical cabling. Unlike a cable it does not have separate strands for transmit and receive, it uses the same frequency (half duplex), therefore it can only transfer in one direction at a time so it will never be as good as running a cat5 cable which can transmit and receive at the same time (full duplex).

Homeplugs are still a much better option than a WiFi repeater which cuts your speeds in half (for the very same half duplex reasons). Repeaters should always be avoided, the are not a good investment.

Advertisement