Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

starting on my own path to life need advice

Options
  • 04-01-2015 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

I'm about 2 months fininshed school fininshed my leavING cert landed my self a job doing roofing 40 or more hours a week , beats sitting at home bored , just started driving looking for advice on how to be comfortable for money when I'm older I come from a working class family and a big family of eight, I've a big interest in horses would love to be able to keep one again but it's hard getting back into them anyone have any advice for me I want to have money I've already a start with a fair bit of money in the bank is their any good way to invest it or are my getting a head of my self

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

No easy answer really at the end of the day you need money to make money so build up a fund initially and in that time try figure out what you are good at that can make you money and what you would actually like to do that can make you money and hopefully one thing will tick both boxes.

Hard work and a lot of luck always helps too!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

Why don't you consider combining your interest in horses and business http://www.ait.ie/aboutaitandathlone/courses/highercertificateinbusinessinequinestudies/

• Registered Users Posts: 49 robertt55

m about 2 months fininshed school fininshed my leavING cert landed my self a job doing roofing 40 or more hours a week , beats sitting at home bored , just started driving looking for advice on how to be comfortable for money when I'm older I come from a working class family and a big family of eight, I've a big interest in horses would love to be able to keep one again but it's hard getting back into them anyone have any advice for me I want to have money I've already a start with a fair bit of money in the bank is their any good way to invest it or are my getting a head of my self

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Invest in higher education. The best advise I can give you.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Did you apply for college after the leaving cert? Do you have aspirations to have a career in a particular area? Where do you see yourself in 3yrs, 5yrs or 10yrs..still roofing or what would you like to do instead?

At the minute investing in your education is your best chance at guaranteeing yourself a good future and the chance to be comfortable with money later in life and being able to provide for a family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

What was the point in starting another thread with the exact same text just a different heading that myself and jimmi replied to two days ago?! There's no magic answer to your question, education, ambition and years of hard work is what's needed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Mod Edit:

Threads merged - do not go starting multiple threads on the same topic, you already had one open with answers in it. In future they will be deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 robertt55

bizzyb wrote: »
    What was the point in starting another thread with the exact same text just a different heading that myself and jimmi replied to two days ago?! There's no magic answer to your question, education, ambition and years of hard work is what's needed.

Yeah I heard you the first time , think you own this boards

Assuming you're doing an apprenticeship and not just labouring, you shouldn't be get bogged down in catering for the future just yet. If you can put a few € a week away, then do so. When you've progressed in your job and gotten some qualifications, you should look into starting a pension. You should already gotten into the habit of putting a bit away every week, so this should not be too difficult for you. Don't join the first pension scheme you look at. Look into different ones and possible speak to an Accountant or an independent financial advisor. Good Luck.

Advertisement