Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Campagnolo Zonda Clincher Wheelset with Shimano freehub

• 06-01-2015 2:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭

I have a 2012 cube agree gtc with 10 speed 105 groupset ,the wheels are Easton EA30's and I am wondering about an upgrade for this summer and to keep the Easton's for the winter.

I see them on swimcyclerun for €325 which seems a good price, they are the 2014 model with swimcyclerun and the 2015 model is €400 on chainreactions.

Anyone know is there much differance between the 2014 and 2015 model of wheel?

I have only 2500km on the bike so far as I only started using it in 2014 but this year will be higher all going right, I checked the chain and it is still fine using the chain tool but I am wondering should I put a new cassette on these and leave the old one on the Eastons? Or should I be swapping it over as I need it?

Are these a noisy wheel ?

Thanks James

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I don't see any noticeable difference in the 2015 wheels from reading the specs on CRC. If there is any difference it's probably not worth an extra €75.

I fitted a pair to my bike recently and I don't notice any noise. However, a friend did ask "what's that noise" on a downhill section on our last spin. I couldn't hear anything with the wind in my ears. The hub does sound different to my previous wheels but it's not what I'd call noisy.

If you won't be swapping the wheels regularly then there's probably no need for a second cassette.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I got a set of zondas around this time last year. The free hub seems a bit louder than others I've had but nothing annoying. I really like the zondas. They feel much more lively than the original stock wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

Great wheel mate go for it won't be disappointed I noticed a dramatic improvement over the stock aksiums on my cube last year I've a set of 30mm cosmics on my new Cervelo and they are much noisier then the zonda's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭jamesd

Thanks guys - ordered now with swimcyclerun

Wondering now about keeping the Zonda's as my summer tyres with GP4000's on them and keeping the Easton's as winter wheels with the conti. 4seasons left on them - seem like a good way of keeping them as the roads I cycle on in the winter are not the best when wet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

its what we all do... ive a set of Aksiums for winter and Cosmics & Kyrsiums for summer.
    can never have too many wheels! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

Oh yea use the stock wheels this time of year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I bought a pair in Sep and am very happy with them.

Would ye just swap the same cassette over for the summer or have a new cassette on the summer wheels ? Or would this cause bother with the chain wear as its switching between cassettes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Not wanting to derail the thread but for those of you having used the Zondas for a while now. How is the Shimano freehub holding up? I'm asking because the Zondas are on my list of potential wheel upgrades as well but having had failed bearings in Fulcrum 7 (lasted 8 months) and Scirocco 35 (lasted 4 months) freehubs I'm starting to rethink my options. The failure point appears to be inadequate seals on the outer cartridge bearing in both wheelsets mentioned above. Do the Zondas have a better freehub and/or bearing seals?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I could be mistaken but the Zondas have free bearings rather then the crap sealed bearings that come with Scirocco/Khamsins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Not wanting to derail the thread but for those of you having used the Zondas for a while now. How is the Shimano freehub holding up? I'm asking because the Zondas are on my list of potential wheel upgrades as well but having had failed bearings in Fulcrum 7 (lasted 8 months) and Scirocco 35 (lasted 4 months) freehubs I'm starting to rethink my options. The failure point appears to be inadequate seals on the outer cartridge bearing in both wheelsets mentioned above. Do the Zondas have a better freehub and/or bearing seals?

I have mine over three years and they are still prefect.
    By any chance are you using a power washer when cleaning the bike?

Never used a power washer on any of my road bikes or wheels. It's mostly baby wipes, sponge with water and kitchen towels.

From my limited research on the web it would appear the Zondas use cartridge bearings in the freehub. That's from looking at photos of spare freehubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Really decent replacement bearings shouldn't set you back more the 25 quid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

jamesd wrote: »
    Would ye just swap the same cassette over for the summer or have a new cassette on the summer wheels ? Or would this cause bother with the chain wear as its switching between cassettes?
    Pair off a chain with each cassette to prevent differing wear patterns.

bcmf wrote: »
    Really decent replacement bearings shouldn't set you back more the 25 quid

I have some on order now for the Sciroccos. Turns out the official campag site has a rather comprehensive spare parts catalog for all their wheels.

http://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/035_252_Catalogue_spare%20parts_tools_Campagnolo_2015_part_C.pdf

It appears they have only two types of freehub bodies and both of them use the same bearings.

Hmmzis wrote: »
    I have some on order now for the Sciroccos. Turns out the official campag site has a rather comprehensive spare parts catalog for all their wheels.

http://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/035_252_Catalogue_spare%20parts_tools_Campagnolo_2015_part_C.pdf

It appears they have only two types of freehub bodies and both of them use the same bearings.

Where did you order from? Expensive ?

jamesd wrote: »
    Where did you order from? Expensive ?

Bearing-king.co.uk

Ordered 4 for the Sciroccos and 2 for the Fulcrums (slightly different size). Including shipping it was around 30 eur.

Pair off a chain with each cassette to prevent differing wear patterns.

With I need to re index gears when swapping wheels?

Advertisement