Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountaineering Gear.

Options
  • 06-01-2015 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Hi all i want to get into Hill Walking,
    And dont want to spend to much on gear and was wondering what is your thoughts on regatta seems the cheapest.

and where the best place to buy online ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Regatta gear is fine for base or mid layers. I'd go a bit more upmarket for the waterproof layer personally.

For trousers - ebay. There are some very good shops in NI and Wales who do decent gear much cheaper than here.
    You don't need a lot for hillwalking. Get base layers from Lidl or Aldi. Same for mid and top layer fleeces.
    For trousers craghoppers from one of the ebay vendors are perfect.

Jacket is the main one - go to a decent shop and get a decent one. It's your primary protection from the elements.
    For a bag also get a semi-decent one - last thing you want is an uncomfortable weight on your back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,623 ✭✭✭TheBody

Tk Maxx is great for getting brand name gear for cheap.

You should be able to get all but your boots there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

The thing you dont want to go cheap on is boots. You can get all sorts of clothing for cheapish..that will do the job perfectly well but as I said dont go cheap on the boots. Id recommend getting sized up for footwear in a dedicated outdoor store as you will more than likely be getting direct advice from someone in the know. At least then you will have a good feel for any particular boot you try on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 DEWF

I just keep an eye on the shops and buy things when they go on sale ,
    I use peter storm rain trousers that were cheap, and +1 for buying a decent jacket but I wouldn't go for one because of the brand just read reviews and research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Depends on the brand but also depends on how much you want to spend. My Paramo costs €250 but I'd go out in any weather. For a casual hiker - especially a beginner - who won't be going on in torrential rain then any semi-decent brand would do.

I generally don't bother with rain trousers unless it's very bad. I find I get wetter inside by sweating. I prefer to use solar or wind dry trousers that will dry off quickly when the rain stops.

+1 for boots - can't believe I forgot that. Get decent boots - don't scrimp. You need the ankle support - any trail can have holes and it's easy to twist or break an ankle. Best way to check that is to take the boot and twist the sole - if it twists there's very little ankle support (common fallacy that the raised part of the boot provides ankle support - it doesn't - the sole does). That said you can get decent boots for reasonable prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

I can't agree about the Lidl & Aldi base layers. I've blown a fair bit of money on many various versions, and none of them wick moisture even reasonably.

The only base layer top I've used that actually does wick (very well) is a Columbia one. Not sure what it's called, but it has a silver almost foil-like lining. But it was expensive - over €40 heavily discounted in a sale.

Tesco thermal base top is warm and (surprisingly) wicks quite well, but might be too warm for warmer days out.

I'd suggest a base layer with a zip-neck - the ability to vent, and the effectiveness of the venting will be greatly appreciated.

I do agree with the Craghoppers pants recommendation. Specially the Kiwi Pro Stretch pants. IMO, you should try the men's version - the cut seems to me to be shaped well for women's hips, and they're quite slim in the leg. I saw them only last night for €33 in the Regatta shop in Pavilions Swords. The fit isn't 100% perfect for my shape, but they're still my favourite hiking pants.

Agree also that you should invest well in a properly waterproof & breathable jacket - most decent brands do modestly-priced products, so you should avoid apparently cheap no-brand stuff. Personal fave is Rab eVent stuff (expensive), but Rab (& others) also do Pertex or other fabrics, which are often cheaper.

Jackson Sports in Belfast are a superb online seller (and the shop in Belfast is great too) - Dion will respond to any query you might have.

Boots will probably be your most important item - spend time in a shop (trusting an online purchase can be risky with boots), and ask loads of questions about every boot you try; the assistant should know what they're doing with you.

I imagine I'm similar to most outdoors guys here - I have LOADS of gear that I've bought and relegated to the "useless" pile, or donated to my son. A good few of these items are by Regatta :( . IMO, some Regatta stuff can be good for walking the dog type activities, but maybe not great for very active use. I've found the fit of fleeces to be loose, sleeves too short, not great at wicking.

Again, Craghoppers fleeces have performed better for me, but I only have two fleeces that I can say genuinely help with wicking - a Berghaus Pravitale and a Montane Volt Alpiniste.

But over time, with trial & error, you do build up a system of clothes that does work well for you.

Mark

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Must not buy more gear and avoid current sales, far too tempting just to have another jacket. :o

I've not used anything from the aforementioned German supermarkets.

I've a question on layers. What do you consider/use as a mid-layer? For this time of year I'd use merino for the base, but what do you throw on after, say, something between a fleece, or just a base layer and then straight up fleece? Or another technical t-shirt of some description? For more external layers I've a soft shell and Columbia jacket from years ago that's still going strong. I like Craghoppers pants as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I usually wear one of these as a mid-layer on cold days or on it's own over a thin base layer on days when it just comes over a bit chilly, but is otherwise dry ...

http://lowealpine.com/clothing/fleeces/grid-pull-on-men-s

It's a fleece of sorts, but more with a more open weave, less dense than polartec or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Avoid Regatta footwear like the plague - they fall apart in no time and aren't remotely waterproof. If you're looking for the best budget footwear go for hi-tec - a reasonable pair will certainly see you right for entry level walking until you know what you're after in the higher end of things (or know it's a pastime you want to spend money on!).

Craghoppers trousers are great - just don't bother with the bear grylls stuff (they're more expensive and imo of much poorer quality). You can normally get plenty of craghoppers gear at very reasonable prices in TKMaxx.

If you find yourself in Galway, the Portwest store usually has good deals on gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Treadhead wrote:
    Craghoppers trousers are great - just don't bother with the bear grylls stuff (they're more expensive and imo of much poorer quality). You can normally get plenty of craghoppers gear at very reasonable prices in TKMaxx.

I got a pair of Bear G trousers on sports direct for €20 about two years ago. Still in good condition and dry very fast after a shower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'd be interested in hearing more opinions on the mid layers! I'm doing a climb next month, and I have marino base layers, a number of fleeces, a rain jacket and a down jacket, but I'm unsure what the mid layers should be. I'm guessing just cotton t-shirts aren't a good idea, but what should I be wearing under the fleece?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I'd be interested in hearing more opinions on the mid layers! I'm doing a climb next month, and I have marino base layers, a number of fleeces, a rain jacket and a down jacket, but I'm unsure what the mid layers should be. I'm guessing just cotton t-shirts aren't a good idea, but what should I be wearing under the fleece?
    By a climb do you mean a hillwalk in Ireland?

In general, multiple light layers are better than a single layer, and you seem to have a reasonable combination. I'd generally wear a baselayer (like Merino), a fleece as insulation and a softshell or rainjacket over this for wind protection. If it's particularly cold (properly cold), I'd wear another insulation layer of light fleece or something like a synthetic down jacket over the fleece.

You don't want to be too warm, because you'll be be moving and sweat will build up. Everyone is different, but I'd say you'll find that a baselayer, fleece or two and a rainjacket will be warm enough to walk in, and you can throw on the down jacket if you stop.

Gloves are important too, and a buff can make things very warm as it traps air escaping around your neck.

These aren't bad:
    http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/layering-basics.html
    http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/a/11070/How-to-Layer-Clothing-for-Each-Season

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

hmmm wrote: »
    By a climb do you mean a hillwalk?

In general, multiple light layers are better than a single layer, and you seem to have a reasonable combination. I'd generally wear a baselayer (like Merino), a fleece as insulation and a softshell or rainjacket over this for wind protection. If it's particularly cold (properly cold), I'd wear another insulation layer of light fleece or something like a synthetic down jacket over the fleece.

I'm doing Kilimanjaro.

I guess I'm not used to having a fleece immediately over the base layer, as a novice I kinda expected to have a t-shirt or polo shirt in between the two, but I don't know what type of material that layer should be?

Basically:

Base layer
    next layer???
    Fleece
    Down jacket
    Rain jacket if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

as a next layer?? you could use a craghopper half zip micro fleece as part of your layering system.
    I find them pretty good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Craghoppers-Corey-Micro-Fleece-Jacket/dp/B00D9LBENY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1421777081&sr=8-4&keywords=craghopper

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, not a full-on thick fleece, something like the above or the Lowe Alpine Aleutian fleece like I linked to above.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

FWIW, the system I've settled on that works best for me is a collection of versatile, light, packable stuff. When moving, this usually means simply a wicking base and a fleece with some wind resistance. These'll be augmented with an extra insulating layer for proper cold, and a rain jacket.

BASE: Columbia Omni Heat Long Sleeve Zip Neck - http://www.columbia.com/mens-baselayer-heavyweight-half-zip-top-AM6068.html

FLEECE: Montane Volt Alpiniste - http://www.montane.co.uk/range/men/soft-shell-and-fleece/volt-alpiniste-jacket

INSULATING: Craghoppers CompressLite Packaway - http://www.craghoppers.com/men/jackets/insulating/compresslite-packaway-hooded-jacket.html

RAIN: Rab Latok Alpine - http://rab.uk.com/products/mens-clothing/mens-clothing-shell/event/latok-alpine-jacket.html

When combined with gloves, hat and a neck tube, this system has kept me comfortably warm when static in exposed locations in very cold wind.

The layering ideology is still valid, but modern materials means that just a few items can create a very effective system without feeling all bulked-up and frustrated with the twisting and clumping and bunching that often comes with wearing loads of layers.

High price isn't necessarily a guarantee of better performance, but it often is. That said, many places often have sales where you can get great stuff at great prices, particularly if you're not precious about colours.

I've yet to perfect my leg wear situation. My Craghoppers Kiwi Pro Stretch pants are perfect in milder weather so I'd like to try a lightly lined version in cold weather.

I've not had that twisted/clumping feeling with 4-5 layers.

The only thing I'm short on is a good pair of winter/windproof gloves.

Advertisement