Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Super XV 2015 General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Thought that was harsh yellow on Lowe. Didnt actually touch him. Pretended to so your man would let go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

James Lowe yellow carded for a knee there. Was a knee and thus the right call but the Rebels player barely felt it. The harsh part is it brought back a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

50/50 call there, but the ref's logic was fairly sound.

2 fair enough calls individually, but Jesus on the whole the Chiefs will feel hard done by. As well as the obstruction penalty when they were rumbling over which I thought was a wrong call as the ball carrier was at the front.

Bad miss by Hegarty; Chiefs should have enough to win this game.

Massive win for the Rebels, some sterling work in defence. Nothing came off for the Chiefs today.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Great call pudsey in the predictor

Ballsy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

sydthebeat wrote: »

Ballsy

Delighted :D gotta make up ground somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Ballsy

If you disregard Bridge93, who's forget to make his picks a few times, the 2 Kiwi lads are in last position :o (maybe we lack objectivity, assuming that all Kiwi teams are simply awesome :p)

Kudos to Luckygent88 who has pretty much been leading from start to finish so far.

Your good self and LG88 opening a bit of a lead there syd.

With only 5 between 1st and 6 th its still anyone's.
    Really mad how a good week can catapult you up or a bad week can drag you right down.

And it's so close its worth it to be a bit over board on your spread cos if a big score comes in the highest spread gets the bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Jacovs

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Super15/Bulls-quintet-to-play-in-Japan-20150504

Seems like Pierre Spies, Francois Hougaard, JJ Engelbrecht, Akona Ndungane and Deon Stegmann are all leaving the Bulls at the end of the season for Japan. Bit of a loss if none of them will be returning to super rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Zac guildford leaving clermont to go back to nz.

aimee1 wrote: »

Don't think he'll get a super contract. Unfortunately, he has off-field issues that have greatly impacted his career. He's persona non grata in Crusaders country anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

aimee1 wrote: »

Any reason why?

Just read that he was homesick. Well the Blues will take him.

John Smit wrote an open letter to the Sharks fans:

"So I got this sent to me* (see below) by some mates and must admit it got me thinking, laughing at first but then thinking!!! Which is why I decided to write a note to all of you. There is so much that has been done, not done, said and not said, and along the way, the fans of a team like The Sharks justifiably feel heartbroken, hurt and in desperate need for answers.

"I could ramble off a list of excuses that would read like a horror story for any management team, but that is not what this letter is about. We understand how important this team is to so many, as it is to us, and frankly I think my staff are in desperate need of counselling after the last four results as they hurt like I’ve never seen, some of them having worked here for over 20 years. We also understand that in the current environment we all find ourselves, with inflated fuel costs, a currency under siege and load-shedding to mention just a few items, our Sharks team become the custodians of hope come the weekend.

"They represent our inner warrior and deep instinct to see good conquer evil! And when they do, the beer tastes better and Monday mornings become a proud moment to walk in with shoulders back and revel in the success of our team. Sadly, we have not had enough of this and we are working tirelessly as administrators, management and players to rectify the current form of our team. Never in a million years is it what we regard as satisfactory and I say it openly knowing full well our boys feel exactly the same way. We will stop at nothing to become the best again and can assure you that tons of work and hours have gone into planning the future of this great brand/team.

"I’ve now been here almost 2 years, having started in July of 2013 and there has been significant change implemented during that time, most of it planned but the odd curve ball that forced us to find an alternative route while never deterring from the course chosen. Have there been mistakes made? Absolutely, but with every lesson, the firm resolution that the lessons learnt or being learnt will make us stronger going forward.

"Everyone wants to know how we have gone from a conference topping team to a team leaking tries and in desperate need of a win; how do seasoned internationals drop balls and why does it seem very difficult to work out what the team strategy is? It’s impossible to dissect each one of the questions out there but having been a player that sadly played a part in some pretty spectacularly bad seasons in 2000 and 2006, I can tell you that the best made plans with the best players can often amount to nothing when a team loses its confidence. Our job is to lead the players in a way that allows them to regain this confidence even though the opposition we play and still have to play don’t allow for too much room to do so. We have what we believe to be a strong succession plan of players coming through and players chosen to join us in the near future, plus, for the first time in a while, we finally have the ability to make these changes and acquisitions with our dismal financial past being rectified and the proper business structures and governance being implemented over the last two years.

"I completely understand the barrage against myself and other senior people within the organisation and it is our responsibility to deal with all of this while keeping a steady hand on the wheel to ensure long term success and I can honestly tell you that any decision I have taken or will take is to benefit this organisation. Not all of them have been spot on but we have made huge progress in this business in two years with a very dedicated team behind the team. Critically, I have learnt and continue to learn from both our successes and failures. Having addressed the commercial issues, full focus has been given to the coaching and player structures. We want the Sharks to be competitive at Under-19 and Under-21 levels. To this end, we needed to retain our home grown talent. You would have noticed the improved relationship between The Sharks and our schools that has resulted in them playing curtain-raisers at the Stadium. In time we will be rolling out our strategic plans around our procurement initiatives and our vision on creating a young pipeline of talent that will secure our future for years to come. Adversity is often the catalyst for creative thinking and I believe we have learnt a considerable amount over this period, which will stand us in good stead in the years to come.

"It has been a rollercoaster ride so far both on the field where we find ourselves currently placed in Super Rugby, to us having won a Currie Cup in 2013, topped an SA conference for the first time in 2014, picked the first ever player of colour to captain a Currie Cup side and contributed more than 10 players a season on average to the Bok cause.

"Off the field has also been an amazing journey, from acquiring new sponsors and increasing our sponsorship revenue by 67% from 2013 to 2015. We have also aligned for the first time in decades with our own city and of course the much needed R22m swing in 2014 to rectify our financial issues of 2013. All of this is of no immediate consequence if we don’t have a team performing on the field, but we will reap rewards later now that we have the financial strength to ADD to our squad, players who are hungry to don The Sharks jersey.

"This campaign is not working out as we had hoped and the many reasons will be debated at length; our jobs will be to make sure we rectify the problems and at no stage will we be the leadership that hangs individuals out to dry. We will take the heat, listen to your constructive concerns and implement whatever change needed to put us back on track so that we can all enjoy the only thing that matters to us, a team willing to fight for us with an ethic that makes us proud to be Sharks. We recognise that your patience has been tested but appreciate your concern and promise you we will do whatever is needed to make you proud again. The team deserve it, The Sharks culture demands it, but mostly we want it for YOU, our proud supporters."

John Smit

450ae5070f9b46d2ba3c6cb5ff9f5255.jpg

i was hoping for big things from the sharks after their pre season 'friendly' game against toulon... hasnt turned out that way.

and an away game to the runaway league leaders on saturday morning, followed by an away game to last years winners, isnt exactly the best place to get the ship back on course.

its gonna get worse before it gets better

interesting week coming up in the predictor comp with at least 3 games being hard to call.....

interesting week coming up in the predictor comp with at least 3 games being hard to call.....

There are a few things I'll be looking out for actually

Crusaders
    Dominic Bird has been given a lifeline by Blackadder, and Jone Macilai-Tori could get a first start after breaking his arm pre-season

Blues
    Akira Ioane - he could be lining out for the U20s shortly

Canes
    Vito returns from injury. NMS. Otere Black might make his debut from the bench. Apparently went well for Manawatu at 10 in the ITM, and is likely to play for the U20s too.

Highlanders
    9-15. Ok, maybe a little less interested in Richard Buckman at 12...See if Sopoaga can be put on a coaching clinic again.

• Advertisement

Buckman has been very solid at centre in his two games, quite good even. Not bad for a winger. Good to see hardie on the bench as well.

I thin last week could have been a watershed for the blues and they could follow it up with another victory this week

Buckman has been very solid at centre in his two games, quite good even. Not bad for a winger. Good to see hardie on the bench as well.

I thin last week could have been a watershed for the blues and they could follow it up with another victory this week

I reckon you need 3 more victories syd to make the top 6. It's a dream getting the Lions, Cheetahs, and Force as the away games. You've then got the Chiefs at home, the Canes away, and the Blues away. 2 wins on the road overseas, and the Blues away should do it. I'd even rate the Highlanders a very good chance to beat the Chiefs in Dunedin.

Dream final for me is Canes vs Landers in perfect weather conditions. Would be something else.

Good night sweet princes, and thanks for the memories. May your last appearances on earthquake shaken soil be winning ones!

(I won't remember you for playing in the 12 and 20 shirts though...)

Ladies and gentlemen the 2015 Queensland Reds. Some of the worst defending I've ever seen, but wow fair play to Whitelock to go 60.

Only just turned on the game, but what a try by Whitelock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Only just turned on the game, but what a try by Whitelock.

Unreal try. He beat about three reds players before turning on the after burners and stepping the fullback before having the gas to get to the whitewash. Brilliant effort but the reds are woeful defensively. They have to be the worst team in the comp. This should be exhibition stuff now for a send off for McCaw and Carter.

• Advertisement

Crusaders absolutely running riot. Still doubt they'll be able to do anything like this at the Brumbies and Waratahs but well done anyway.

Tackling masterpiece by the Reds

jesus, crusdaders might hit 70 points here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Important win for the Cruasders

Try of the season from the Blues, unbelievable. They've butchered 3 from 1 metre out but that was awesome.

• Advertisement

A dream prop try, great quick thinking by Leafa and Smith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Great bonus point win for the Rebels, keeps their hopes of a Wildcard alive. They are hitting form at the right time, especially with the Brumbies struggling for consistency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Great bonus point win for the Rebels, keeps their hopes of a Wildcard alive. They are hitting form at the right time, especially with the Brumbies struggling for consistency.

Their doing really well this year. Great that Melbourne has a decent team they can fully get behind.

People are always banging on about how Australia rugby is down in the doldrums but with now the Rebels, current champs the tahs and the brumbies doing well it seems to be on an upward curve.

I think with a fit Pocock back Australia will top the group over England and Wales. They really need to win the bledisloe cup which they haven't done since 2002.

Naka Drotske quit as Cheetahs coach, and Os du Randt quit as forwards coach too, effective end of the super rugby season. Naka seems to be retiring from rugby, and Os got an offer abroad. Nake also wrote the fans an open letter:

“It is with great thankfulness that I wish to inform you today that this current Super 15 will be my last as coach of the Cheetahs.

“Life is all about opportunities and in March of this year I came along an exceptional business opportunity which I could not turn down. I am partner of a Company who obtained the exclusive manufacturing and distribution rights in Africa of a very unique fire retardant and fire extinguishing product.

“The products are the most technical advanced fire products in the world and are currently patent pending in the USA. We are busy setting up a plant in South Africa and will produce the products locally and will also export worldwide. We believe that this product will change the way fires were prevented and extinguished in the past.

“I have already, after I’ve signed these contracts in April informed Mr Ryno Opperman the chairman of the Cheetahs that this Super 15 will be my last as coach of the Cheetahs.

“It is not ideal to make this announcement in the middle of the current Super 15 season but unfortunately some of the information leaked to the media and the wrong message based on sensation and lies were sent out to the public. This left us with no choice but to make the announcement as early as possible with the correct facts.

“The advantage of the announcement now is it will give the new coach more than enough time to contract his own players for next year and also to sign more players for the upcoming 2015 Currie cup.

“I apologise to my players and management that I could not discuss the situation with them first and that they have to learn about this in the media. We are currently in a bye week and I will explain the situation to them in person when we get together on Monday.

“I’ve been involved in rugby since I can remember and would like to stay involved with the game in some way. I currently consider the option of becoming a player agent to represent players in South Africa.

“In my time as coach of the Cheetahs I have represented the Cheetahs in negotiating more than 300 players’ contracts with all different agents in South Africa. I know the system and this comes naturally to me. I also know all the CEOs and coaches of other franchises in South Africa in person and as a former Super 15 coach I believe they will trust my opinion on the quality of different players.

“I feel there is huge opportunity here as especially younger players often get the wrong advice and make wrong choices with their careers as professional rugby players.

“I would like to thank the Cheetahs. With the exemption of three years when I played in the UK I have been involved with Cheetah rugby since 1988 as a Craven Week player.

Highlights were the 2005 Currie Cup win at Loftus against a very good Bulls side as well as making the play offs of the Super 15 competition in 2013 for the first and only time in the history of Cheetahs rugby.

“I have no regrets and am thankful to the Cheetahs and rugby for what it meant to me. As coach I have learnt valuable lessons of people which will help me a lot in the business world.

“I would have liked to have the opportunity to compete with the same squad of players and the same budget as other franchises over a five-year term. The fact of the matter is this was not meant to be.

“My wish for the future of Cheetahs rugby would be that the public will support the new coach and management team. Super 15 is a very tough competition where a franchise like the Cheetahs have to compete with limited resources. In order for them to be competitive, the supporters, players, management and board of directors all have to support each other and work in the same direction.

“I would like to thank my management team for all the hard work the last nine years. Thank you that we could support each other in good and bad times.

“Lastly I would like to thank my wife Marzanne for all the support. I truly believe that coaching is the second toughest job in the world. The toughest job is without a doubt being the wife of a professional rugby coach. Thank you for supporting me in good and bad results on the rugby field.

“Good luck to Cheetah rugby and the new coach. My advice to him would be to take criticism from who it comes. Since I was a little boy one of my biggest heroes was Dr Danie Craven. One of his legendary sayings was ‘the more I see of people the more I love my dog’ I could never really understand the true meaning of this, until I started coaching. My immediate advice to the new coach would therefore be, get a dog. (-:

“Thank you very much.”

That is a bizarre statement. Part product placement, and part showcasing his CV for a job as an agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Utterly bizarre. It's masked as an open letter of thanks best wishes to the fans and the team but is pretty much entirely self serving and rambling.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭stl.ire

Just watched the crusaders game. Nice way for McCaw and Carter to (probably) say goodbye to Canterbury.
    Don't know what the Reds did to Whitelock for him to upset him so much!

Good win for the Rebels. They're close to being a properly good side. Only saw the highlights but 17 turnovers? Is that stat real? Must have been pretty poor stuff by the Blues back row.

That Drotske statement is weird but then so are the rumours Kirwan's getting an extension!

Seems the Cheetahs backline coach Hawies Fourie is also on the way out. He wont be staying with the cheetahs for the currie cup, going back to Griquas, and has to negotiate with the new Cheetahs coach if he wants to stay on for Super Rugby after his contract expires the end of this season.
    Thats their head, forwards and backline coaches all gone.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is not often that a craven, weak player would go on to have such a career in the game.

• Advertisement

Pathetic defending from Pieterson for that try, absolutely pathetic.

Good job ref! This game is finally going to form.
    Sharks came out well - going after the Canes up front - but the Canes have 2 nice trys and finally the ref gives a yellow for the Sharks 3rd(!) high tackle.
    Lets keep this up!

stl.ire wrote: »
    Good job ref! This game is finally going to form.
    Sharks came out well - going after the Canes up front - but the Canes have 2 nice trys and finally the ref gives a yellow for the Sharks 3rd(!) high tackle.
    Lets keep this up!

Im not even a Canes fan but they are compulsory viewing this season, their back line is far and away the best in world club rugby imo, and now that they have a decent enough pack they can go far. Front five is still their Achilles heel but much less than in previous seasons.

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Im not even a Canes fan but they are compulsory viewing this season, their back line is far and away the best in world club rugby imo, and now that they have a decent enough pack they can go far. Front five is still their Achilles heel but much less than in previous seasons.

Yeah, the fact their attack is built on going 100mph is brilliant. With the likes of Savea, Barrett, Nonu and Milner Skudder I guess the thinking is why not?
    The pack is definitely a concern though. They kind of cover their breakdown weaknesses by just not contesting there at all and focusing on getting as many guys in the defensive line as possible. As we saw against Tahs, if a good breakdown team really targets them there they struggle.

The Sharks are still in this game and are troubling the Canes a little up front but they are a mess discipline wise and if the Canes keep playing the ball wide they should have enough. Marshall is having a pretty good game which is encouraging.

Wow Bismarck!!

What a try by the Sharks!

This is the best the Sharks have played all season I reckon. Game on here. Both sides generally defending pretty well.

Sharks are playing well but the ref is allowing all kinds of things at the ruck. Hands are everywhere and the Smiley is getting impeded almost every time he goes to pass. Canes have a real test here.

Broadhurst is an outside chance at a NZ call up I reckon. Whitelock, Retallick and Tuipolotou are certainties but neither Romano nor Bird has been impressive for the Crusaders. Thrush will probably get the nod though I suppose.

• Advertisement

Is Milner-Scudder in the AB's squad?

Advertisement