Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Super XV 2015 General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Hasnt been a single draw all season and now the Stormers vs Lions is on 19-19 with 2 minutes to go.

Stormers will win conference with a game left but need the win for a better chance at the home semi.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ok
    At awedding and very very drunk and tryin to understand the possible results over the weekend.

Highlanders can do one of three things. Loose and be pretty much guaranteed an away game v stormers.
    Win by less than the chiefs and get an away v the chiefs. Provided we win and chiefs win with similar points

Win with bonus point and try to get home qfs against chiefs. By having bigger points difference.

??

Worst result for Highlanders is a win v blues and a bigger win of chiefs over canes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Ok
    At awedding and very very drunk and tryin to understand the possible results over the weekend.

Highlanders can do one of three things. Loose and be pretty much guaranteed an away game v stormers.
    Win by less than the chiefs and get an away v the chiefs. Provided we win and chiefs win with similar points

Win with bonus point and try to get home qfs against chiefs. By having bigger points difference.

??

Worst result for Highlanders is a win v blues and a bigger win of chiefs over canes.

You'd think he'd take a break from the rugby on his wedding night, but sydthebeat is a dedicated soul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

God that stadium is near empty why play at Eden Park when a smaller ground would be more appropriate. Looks terrible on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Looked like he lost that ball. The amount of handling and basic errors again is amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Fairly dubious TMO call

Some performance from the Highlanders here, 34 unanswered points. The Blues have been very poor any time I've seen them.

Man my head! !

So...

Does this mean the chiefs need to beat the canes by 37 points to get a home qf?

John Kirwan must be in a spot of bother after such poor season?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Does this mean the chiefs need to beat the canes by 37 points to get a home qf?

Yes bonus point win and 37 point win at that!

• Advertisement

John Kirwan must be in a spot of bother after such poor season?

Well Piutau threw him right under the bus, I'm sure he'll be under a huge amount of pressure when the players aren't even endorsing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Well Piutau threw him right under the bus, I'm sure he'll be under a huge amount of pressure when the players aren't even endorsing him.

Missed that, what did he say?

Or was it a case of what didn't he say?

.ak wrote: »
    Missed that, what did he say?

Or was it a case of what didn't he say?

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11462318
    Veitch asked the 23-year-old if he had full confidence in the coach. Piutau replied: "Oh, I think you know...I can't really speak on that. I'm not too sure. Whatever the board and franchise decide will be the best for the team. I'll back that."

When Veitch asked if Kirwan had the goods to coach at Super Rugby level, Piutau said: "That's a tough question...I don't want to comment."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Ouch.

The young players coming through aren't great but the amount of handling errors out there by the blues was simply shocking. Granted it was a bit wet tonight but they've been making those silly mistakes all season.

Can't see JK keeping his job.

Nadolo is something special.

Not great consistency from the ref with the slap downs.

One playoff confirmed: Highlanders v Chiefs

So either the Stormers or the Waratahs will play the Brumbies, most likely the Stormers

I think the Stormers have settled for 3rd place already after last week's draw against the Lions. Think their squad today away against the Sharks has only 3 players who played the Lions last week. Treating this week as their week off for most of their players to be ready for the play-off next week against the Brumbies.

Edit: will be interesting if the Reds beat the Tahs and then a Stormers B team has to go and win against the Sharks to get 2nd spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Have to say, Genia has been playing really, really well when I've watched him in the past month. Looks a lot more like his old self. Still only 27....good signing for SF if he settles.

Stormers gamble paid off, the Tahs beat the Reds and will stay in 2nd spot.

Last 2 games wont have any impact on the top 6.

Stormers vs Brumbies
    Highlanders vs Chiefs

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

So the three Capital city teams finished top of their divisions!

CatFromHue wrote: »

SANZAR will be happy enough seeing that. The two semis in Wellington & Sydney should be very well attended games.

The quarter of the Highlanders V Chiefs should be tasty. Will be a near sell out, I'm sure the zoo will be rocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭RoutineBites

CatFromHue wrote: »

No. You'd need the Brumbies finishing top of the Australian Conference to say that. And if one of the Bulls, Cheetahs or Stormers had come first in South Africa, technically the "capital" team would have won the conference in any of those scenarios. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Ref called it a good hit, but Sonny Bill issued a warning after the game?
    http://www.rugbydump.com/2015/06/4369/sonny-bill-williams-issued-warning-for-huge-hit-on-conrad-smith

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Not sure if it was a good hit myself, he seemed to make contact first with Smith's face.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

My first reaction was that it was a good hit. The arms wrapped round below the shoulders so I can see why the ref didn't have a problem with it. It was only the last reply that showed the shoulder making contact with Smith's face. Probably just a penalty.

Looks like JK will be shifted upstairs. Tana is due a job in some super rugby franchise will be interesting to see how he gets on as the Blues need serious work and have become a joke.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/69520753/Tana-Umaga-close-to-joining-Blues-as-head-coach-on-three-year-deal?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Kirwan has resigned, will not be staying on at the Blues in any capacity.
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/69520753/john-kirwan-resigns-as-blues-coach

And there's the new bookies' favourite for the Leinster job...

Sweet mother I hope not. Resigned from the Blues after a horrendous time there where the players publicly refused to back him. Also sacked by Italy.

I'd rather the current ticket.

• Advertisement

How does JK get offered these jobs (not saying he is being offer the Leinster job) as he has a shocking track record.

I admire him as a player and the great work he has done to raise the awareness of depression but as a coach he has really failed. Can the NZ union not give him a comfortable jobs upstairs which former great players normally receive?

If im reading this right, the Stormers management werent aware of Duane even traveling to France and first they heard was in the media when they saw him in a Toulon shirt.
    I thought there'd be something in his contract against this kinda thing. Bad form on his part.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Super15/Stormers-stunned-at-Duanes-unveiling-20150619

I admire him as a player and the great work he has done to raise the awareness of depression but as a coach he has really failed. Can the NZ union not give him a comfortable jobs upstairs which former great players normally receive?

I can only imagine they're strongly linked. He did a decent job with Japan in his last gig and is rugby royalty in NZ. He served his time but it was highly unusual for him to get the Blues job.

I think I looked into this before but I believe he's the only coach ever to be appointed to one of the NZ S15 sides whose last or existing position wasn't in NZ rugby. Seems innocuous but when you think there are about 20-25 coaches who have held those jobs, it's pretty impressive.

Come on the Highlanders !!!

Brilliant play !!!!!!

What a try!!! That was just brilliant :D

What a start for the Highlanders if that counts

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭stl.ire

What a start!

Ah no way!!

Dodgy decision !

• Advertisement

Dodgy decision !

Naholo on fire at the moment, this is exciting stuff!

Maybe a 50/50 call but you have to give the attacking team the benefit of doubt. Don't understand why refs (particularly video refs) seem to go safe and with the defending team.

This is great to watch so far

YES!! Brilliant try, so well deserved.

Some speed to take advantage of the space

What a tackle!!

Such good defence there.

Fekitoa! Beast of a hit!

• Advertisement