Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Super XV 2015 General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I've never seen a team as dominant as the Chiefs lose. Cruden's kicking was horrifically bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

matthew8 wrote: »
    I've never seen a team as dominant as the Chiefs lose. Cruden's kicking was horrifically bad.

He risks missing out on the RWC squad purely based on his kicking which I agree is just not up to scratch.

The Blues are absolutely shìte. It kind of reminds me of Leinster at times this season. Good team on paper, actual performance at times woeful. 80%+ territory, 60% possession...and yet the Lions are in front. I reckon Kirwan should just go, he's clearly a terrible terrible coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Swiwi. wrote: »
    The Blues are absolutely shìte. It kind of reminds me of Leinster at times this season. Good team on paper, actual performance at times woeful. 80%+ territory, 60% possession...and yet the Lions are in front. I reckon Kirwan should just go, he's clearly a terrible terrible coach.

On this note, read this the other day:

"How the Cheetahs managed to burgle a win from the travelling Blues, who enjoyed a monster 78% of the territory and a chunky 69% of the possession, is beyond me!

And it was not really about the kicking this time round. The home side kicked 26 times from hand in comparison with the 23 from the Blues, but that is where the similarity ends. The Cheetahs ran 256 metres to the 519 from the Blues, made 3 clean breaks compared to 14 from the Blues, made 53 carries to 129 from the visitors, beat just 8 defenders to the 31 from the Blues, made 59 passes to the 177 from the Blues, and snuck in 7 offloads to the 20 made by the visitors.

The Cheetahs were forced to make 143 tackles to the paltry 43 from the Blues. They missed a monster 31 tackles to the minimal 8 from the Blues, knocked the ball on 6 more times, and made 6 more handling errors.

Yet won the game!"

http://www.sport24.co.za/Columnists/TankLanning/Stormers-back-to-2012-20150305

And for those watching the Stormers game later, they will be wearing red armbands to show their support for the firefighters who battled a fire in Cape Town the past week.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

De klerk shouldn't have run that

Pat Lam got vilified in the Auckland press for less. The game itself has been viewing poison, but fairplay to the Lions for their defense which was top class, even if they offer less than an U10 side on attack.

0 from 4 for the blues. ..... something seriously wrong in that camp.

That was a horrible game to watch, errors absolutely all over the place. ... but fair dues to the lions.

It's proving hard to get the picks right this season: thought the Chiefs and Blues were easy picks :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Reds have rearranged their whole backline on the day of the game, strange tactic.

• Advertisement

Nice try for Foley, lovely pass by Carraro at the end. 0-13 to the Tahs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

The Blues lost to the lions!! WTF like. So much talent in that squad it's ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Looks a huge crowd at the reds game hope they can come back.

Looks a huge crowd at the reds game hope they can come back.

Highly doubt it. They are terrible. So blunt in attack.

Definitely game over now. Ironic that it came after the Reds had had their best passage of play.

The Reds are absolutely woeful. Betham given an easy run to the line. 0-23 to the Tahs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Watched the recording and was about to make the same comparison. They have 3 or 4 phases in them before losing all plan and structure. Something of a disgrace to have those players and lose at home to the Lions. No one has a clue what they're doing. Case in point was the end of the first half. What a shambles. They get inside the 22, great going. At this point the Chiefs, Waratahs or Crusaders either use the space or get a drop goal while the defense isn't expecting it. The Blues plan was go to ground look at the ref. Wide pass from base to outside back in no space. And then they make what can only be described as a 0% play with the grubber to a defense that not only has the full back in coverage but the scrum half coming across, not to mention the lack of Blues players coming up. Absolute waste of a golden chance to go 2 scores ahead. That was the losing of the game. And with the Blues it just happens time and time again.

Steven sykes makes his cheetahs debut today !!!!

Anyone watching the Stormers Sharks game now? Interesting decision by Jaco Peyper just now awarding the Stormers a penalty try.
    Question, can a player be offside in his own in goal area?

Jacovs wrote: »
    Anyone watching the Stormers Sharks game now? Interesting decision by Jaco Peyper just now awarding the Stormers a penalty try.

Not watching this. But yes imo.

Not watching this. But yes imo.

Right decision by him then awarding the penalty try. If you do get to watch the game or highlights, its around the 65-66 minute mark.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't think a ruck or maul is possible in the in goal area. If the ball goes to ground is either a scrum, try or 22 drop out. If it doesn't it's held up and a scrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Stormers looked impressive against the Sharks, their scrum was very dominant. Impressed with their hookers lineout throwing. De Allende at 12 was a standout too. If Burger gets some form I'd have them as dark horses!

Watched the Reds/Waratahs game. Reds were terrible, never seen so many mistakes by a team. Waratahs really should've won by more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Jacovs wrote: »

Had a quick look, law 11.1 specifically says a player can be offside in the in-goal.

I don't think a ruck or maul is possible in the in goal area. If the ball goes to ground is either a scrum, try or 22 drop out. If it doesn't it's held up and a scrum.
    Taco Corp wrote: »
    Had a quick look, law 11.1 specifically says a player can be offside in the in-goal.

If I remember correctly, what happened was, a sharks player carried the ball backwards into their own in goal area, then was tackled by 2 stormers players. When he went to ground I dont think he grounded the ball, but instead lost the ball forwards in the tackle, then another sharks player played the ball in an offside position and kicked it over the dead line, thereby preventing a nearby stormers player from grounding the ball and scoring a try.
    I asked because Frans Steyn asked Jaco Peyper if there is an offside inside a player's own in goal area, and the TMO was talking to Jaco and mustve said the same thing to him 3 times over because Jaco kept replying to him that he saw what happened but the Sharks player prevented a try with negative play in an offside position so he is awarding the penalty try. Im not even sure Jaco asked for the TMO's input, so the TMO mustve felt strongly enough to pipe up about it.

Should be yet another good weekend of rugby: some 6N action, and in the SXV I'll be watching the Canes v Blues (skud missile starting at 15 for the canes), the Tahs v Landers, Chiefs v Stormers, and the Saders v Lions, with the Crusaders ABs and Nadolo making very welcome returns. I'll definitely watch Ire v Wales, probably the match of the weekend, whether I extend to watching Italy and Scotland play is another matter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Nice breakaway try for the blues. The canes have dominated until now leading 11-7.

Game being played in Palmerstown North and looks packed to the rafters. Really like when they go to these smaller towns and the locals really get behind it.

Very important try by the Hurricanes just on the ht buzzer.

18-17 at ht to hurricanes.

Hurricanes discipline could cost them this game.
    Consistently giving west kickable penalties

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Hurricanes discipline could cost them this game.
    Consistently giving west kickable penalties

That's a great win for the Hurricanes and they get the bonus point as well.

That's a great win for the Hurricanes and they get the bonus point as well.

It's interesting watching the style of NZ rugby versus what has been on offer in the 6N: there is way way more off-loading...but also way way more errors as a result. If the ABs can bring the offloads without the errors they will be able to rack up some scores this season.

Blues can't catch a break, that was there best display this season, but still winless. Canres remain NZ's most entertaining team, they never disappoint in the backs, but their forwards look much better this season.

• Advertisement

You watching your team there syd? Lovely defensive read from Fekitia and scorching finish from Naholo.

You watching your team there syd? Lovely defensive read from Fekitia and scorching finish from Naholo.

Just shaking the cobwebs off....

Superb tempo! Ben Smith try

Yes!!! Sexy rugby Highlanders. Orbourne try

After an absolutely RUBBISH first 20 minutes from the Highlanders, they have been on fire! 4 try bonus point already. Wow, Fekitoa and that back 3 are lethal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Don't often post here but this is wonderful stuff from the Highlanders. Started slowly but since they picked it up they have just went from strength to strength.

Clearly there is an issue with tackling and defensive formation for the Waratahs. It looks just too easy to break the line and keep going.

For a 6 potgeiter is a crap one on one tracker....

Sopoagas boot better not come back to haunt us

eagle eye wrote: »
    Don't often post here but this is wonderful stuff from the Highlanders. Started slowly but since they picked it up they have just went from strength to strength.

Clearly there is an issue with tackling and defensive formation for the Waratahs. It looks just too easy to break the line and keep going.

Welcome!

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Sopoagas boot better not come back to haunt us

Carter was on song for the Crusaders today, but otherwise NZ goalkickers are pretty rubbish at the moment. Barrett was ordinary for the Canes. Actually, Ihaia West is kicking well. Pity he's not too great otherwise at the moment.

Squeeky bum bum time at the end, by delighted with the 5 pointer over the champs

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭stl.ire

Tahs Landers was another awesome game after yesterday's Canes Blues. There is such a difference between super rugby and the 6N right now. The off loading is insane! For good and bad results!

I thought the today turned on the yellow card as it got the Waratahs from going after aaron smith. Once he was given fair time to dictate with his passing the whole match changed. It's really interesting to compare him with Murray (the 2 best at the moment probably). Both are world class with Murray maybe better with the boot and defence and smith with pass and decision making. They are almost the perfect NH scrum half vs the perfect SH one.

Disappointed I wasn't able to get up for highlanders game. Seems like it was a highly entertaining game. That's a superb victory for the landers against the defending champs. Love to watch the highlanders when the backline is in that form.

Reds playing terrible once again here. Brumbies should go on to get the bonus point.

What was liam gill doing with that tackle on nick white??
    Serious clean out!! Should take up wrestling

Great WWE move there from Liam Gill. This is a pretty bad game to watch, its a case of when rather than whether the Brumbies will get the bonus point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭testtech05

Surely Moore was straight in from the side there on Horwill at the breakdown before the 4th try was scored!! It was coming though!

stl.ire wrote: »
    Tahs Landers was another awesome game after yesterday's Canes Blues. There is such a difference between super rugby and the 6N right now. The off loading is insane! For good and bad results!

Offloading definitely leads to more tries. Also to more errors. Error free rugby tends to win international games rather than an offloading based style, especially if the players don't have the skill. Interesting international season ahead. I don't see NZ playing an Irish-style game but NZs style typically doesn't work at the business end of knockout rugby tournaments.

Wish I can watch the game right now.

Entertaining first half anyway. Stormers up by 3 at the break but Chiefs very much in the game. Scrum is getting dismantled alright and they need to keep the pace of the game up and take the opportunities

Magnificent try by the Chiefs. The handling skills were superb.

Chiefs playing some beautiful rugby here but just can't get the points. Turned down a couple of penalty opportunities which may come back to bite them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement