Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Super XV 2015 General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Not good losing a game before a bye and going on tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Magnificent try by the Chiefs. The handling skills were superb.

Chiefs playing some beautiful rugby here but just can't get the points. Turned down a couple of penalty opportunities which may come back to bite them.

That try from James Lowe. Best of the weekend, just amazing. If Lowe keeps this form up he'll be an AB in 2016.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Eddie Jones to manage the new Japanese Super Rugby team.

The team will be the Japan national team plus five marquee players.

He's quoted as saying "the consistency it will offer the players will be great, what it means is the national side will play 15 Super Rugby matches and 10 Test matches making a season of 25 top class games which will be fantastic"

People on here are generally against the team but if you want the game to develop to a great extent you have to embrace more countries. These matches will be vital for Japan to be competive in 2019.

With the Hong Kong sevens always selling out and more games proposed for Singapore hopefully more inroads will be made in the Asian market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Another good weekend of matches in store.

Pick of the bunch is probably the Sunday morning game between the waratahs and brumbies. Battle for supremacy in the australian conference and the brumbies will want to put a successive defeat on the waratahs.

Should be cracking games between highlanders hurricanes and sharks Chiefs too. If hurricanes can pick up the win away from home, they will be in a tremendous position after the first 6 rounds.
    Couple of 50/50 matches which might seperate the men from the boys in the prediction comp :)

Fixtures Round 6
    Friday 20 March
    Highlanders v Hurricanes

Rebels v Lions

Saturday 21 March
    06:35Crusaders v. Cheetahs

15:05Bulls v. Force

17:10 Sharks v Chiefs

Sunday 22 March
    05:05 Waratahs vBrumbies

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Cracking end to end game here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Cracking end to end game here.

How are the Highlanders level after 35 mins!

3 - 3 half time.

Hope sopoagas boot doesn't cost us.

The amount of errors in the first 10minutes made me switch it off.

Can't complain after that, ill take the losing bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Hurricanes look great this season. They won that game by just peeling off the ruck and making ground. Highlanders are better than they looked there, all the injured players certainly made it easier for the canes.

Rebels looked like a great team for the first 20 minutes of this one against the Lions and went up 13-0 and should have been up by a lot more. Lions got a penalty and then made a few mistakes themselves late on or they could have scored a try. 13-3 at halftime.

You just know that the Rebels will make it tough for themselves and probably hang on to win by 3 points or less. I certainly wouldn't rule out the Lions coming back and winning it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Shocking defence by the Rebels again. Bad day at the tee for Mikey Harris as well.

Surprise, surprise the Lions came back and won it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Watched the recording of the Hurricanes game there, can't believe the late tackle on Smith didn't get a yellow, nor the cynical penalty right on the Hurricanes line when a try looked imminent. Such stupid play by the Highlanders player to deny them the try though at the end of the first half. What was he thinking? Couldn't stick watching the Rebels play Lions after such a poor game with so many errors. I can never get my head around how poor the goal kicking is in Australia and New Zealand either.

The amount of errors in the first 10minutes made me switch it off.
    matthew8 wrote: »
    Watched the recording of the Hurricanes game there, can't believe the late tackle on Smith didn't get a yellow, nor the cynical penalty right on the Hurricanes line when a try looked imminent. Such stupid play by the Highlanders player to deny them the try though at the end of the first half. What was he thinking? Couldn't stick watching the Rebels play Lions after such a poor game with so many errors. I can never get my head around how poor the goal kicking is in Australia and New Zealand either.

The joy of living in Switzerland: I can go all day, and no chance of someone spoiling it by leaking the score. Just have to avoid this thread for 12 hours till I get home from work...

Yeah, the first 10 minutes was pretty shocking for unforced errors, Aaron Smith with 3 consecutive kicks out on the full :eek: But it improved after that. Nevertheless, if NZ have designs on winning at international rugby this season, the error rate will have to come way way down.

Compared to the NH which mostly seems to favour throwing to the front and mauling, NZ teams love that quick ball off the back with a SH cutout to midfield and attack off 2nd phase.

I agree about a YC for the late tackle on Smith, and the YC for cynical play on the goalline, ref a bit lenient there.

And yes, goalkicking from NZ's premier flyhlaves has been woeful this season, BB running at 60% I think, I would think the NZ selectors will be genuinely concerned. In saying that, Carter was on song last week, so we see how he goes tomorrow.

The Canes would historically lose that type of game, so they will be happy with the win, and likewise the Landers to at least get a losing BP. Pity that last pass was forward (and it was forward IMO).

Finally, they are kind of the Italy of Super Rugby, about as thrilling to watch as paint dry, but the Lions with 2 wins so far on the road (admittedly the Blues and Rebels, but still) should be pleased with themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭stl.ire

Just got to watch the Highlanders Hurricanes (I'm in the US so am thankfully spoiler free too!). It was almost 6 nations-ish at times, particularly the Canes with their submission game of possession and pounding the ball up around the sides of the ruck on attack. It was very Wales/Ireland at times from them - with offloads of course!

I was disappointed the Highlanders couldn't really get their key guys into the game. Fekitoa had Nonu all over him, Aaron smith was pretty poor, although he had limited ball compared to perenara and really only Ben Smith impressed. It was probably a combination of the Canes defence targeting them and the lack of top quality around them.

Nonu's was a beast, he's lost a step but when he's on he's as good as ever. Ben Smith is just all around quality, best full back about.

As for flyhalfs NZ need someone to stand up this year. Cruden is all over the place, I'd worry about a carter, nonu and smith 10,12,13 being to slow and injury prone right now and Barrett is just not a good enough tactical player for me (with the possession the Canes had last night he should have been far more prominent instead of leaning on perenara again). Can Slade be the guy? Surely NZ can do better than a utility back?

Setting up for a cracking 2nd half. Crusaders dominating, although lucky to have only got a yellow for that tackle in the sir, but stupid mistakes have got the Cheetahs interested in actually showing up. Should be a fun one.

Brussow is right back to his best by the look of it. Excellent performance so far. Great to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Great few minutes for the Crusaders, bonus point secured.

Nemani Nadolo is great to watch delighted we'll get to watch him for Fiji in the WC.

Crusaders taking the Cheetahs apart. Insane point swing with Le Roux in the bin. Nandolo is just silly powerful for a wing.

• Advertisement

There is an area that is really concerning me in Super Rugby at the moment.

tumblr_nl34lcSoRG1t0xj3ro2_400.png

WTF is up with the reverse mullet? Hurricanes are the worst offenders. I trust Steve Hansen will have a quiet word to some of the prime culprits (that would be you Cory Jane)

stl.ire wrote: »
    Just got to watch the Highlanders Hurricanes (I'm in the US so am thankfully spoiler free too!). It was almost 6 nations-ish at times, particularly the Canes with their submission game of possession and pounding the ball up around the sides of the ruck on attack. It was very Wales/Ireland at times from them - with offloads of course!

I was disappointed the Highlanders couldn't really get their key guys into the game. Fekitoa had Nonu all over him, Aaron smith was pretty poor, although he had limited ball compared to perenara and really only Ben Smith impressed. It was probably a combination of the Canes defence targeting them and the lack of top quality around them.

Nonu's was a beast, he's lost a step but when he's on he's as good as ever. Ben Smith is just all around quality, best full back about.

As for flyhalfs NZ need someone to stand up this year. Cruden is all over the place, I'd worry about a carter, nonu and smith 10,12,13 being to slow and injury prone right now and Barrett is just not a good enough tactical player for me (with the possession the Canes had last night he should have been far more prominent instead of leaning on perenara again). Can Slade be the guy? Surely NZ can do better than a utility back?

Ah, Cruden has been fine. Just can't goalkick to the required standard. And even with my Crusader patch on, I don't think Slade is the man for the job. He gives it all, is a great goalkicker, and a good player, but he's good rather than excellent at international level.

Crusaders with a needed BP win, but they won't go far with just a powerful scrum + Nadolo against better opposition.

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Ah, Cruden has been fine. Just can't goalkick to the required standard. And even with my Crusader patch on, I don't think Slade is the man for the job. He gives it all, is a great goalkicker, and a good player, but he's good rather than excellent at international level.

Crusaders with a needed BP win, but they won't go far with just a powerful scrum + Nadolo against better opposition.

Yeah, I should have been more clear, it's his kicking that's all over the place not his general play which is way above the rest. Carter's having a good game though tonight. Agree on Slade too, very good player but it's not a good place if he's the All Blacks first choice, even if some newspapers talk him up.

For all their trys tonight you'd worry that the Crusaders will find in tough going against a good side. The way the Cheetahs dominated the breakdown in the 1st half in particular is worrying. They'll always be hard to beat though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Regardless of today's runaway result, aided by some strange decisions by the ref, it's great to see Dan Carter hitting a rich vein of form at last. If he can keep injury free he should start in the RWC Final against Ireland. :D

wtf happened in the sharks-chiefs game? Im hearing about 3 red cards and what not.

edit: reading the text commentary. Chiefs player shouldered the Beast off the ball and got a red card in the 16th minute.
    Then Bismarck kicked a Chiefs player in the head off the ball in the 17th minute and was red carded.
    Then in the 27th minute Frans Steyn tip tackled a Chiefs player and was red carded.

14 vs 13 men and the Sharks won by a point.

Jacovs wrote: »
    wtf happened in the sharks-chiefs game? Im hearing about 3 red cards and what not.

edit: reading the text commentary. Chiefs player shouldered the Beast off the ball and got a red card in the 16th minute.
    Then Bismarck kicked a Chiefs player in the head off the ball in the 17th minute and was red carded.
    Then in the 27th minute Frans Steyn tip tackled a Chiefs player and was red carded.

14 vs 13 men and the Sharks won by a point.

3 fully justified red cards IMO Jacovs. The least bad was Elliot with the shoulder charge maybe 2 weeks off, Bismarck with the kick to the head is indefensible I'd say 6 to 8 weeks minimum and Steyn with the tackle 4 to 6 weeks minimum but iirc Steyn is a serial dirty play offender so maybe more. Idiots the 3 of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Waratahs with a good win this morning.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Waratahs with a good win this morning.

Yeah Folau on fire apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

How on earth did Bismark only get 4 weeks?

Hagz wrote: »

I was only reading about it this morning.
    http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Super15/Bismarck-banned-for-4-weeks-20150322

Hagz wrote: »

Yeah, it's ridiculous. He kicked a guy in the face deliberately, with the only mitigating factor being that the guy was holding on. Entry point was 8 weeks, reduced to 4 for the usual reasons ("genuine remorse", "guilty plea", his last 2 offenses were some time ago, so "not a serial offender").

Lenient.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jlSeipa0Ks

Judge for yourself anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Thought a red for the shoulder charge was a bit harsh, definite yellow though. It didn't look too bad to me but judging by the beast reaction it was.
    I would've taken the TMO's point of view towards Steyn's tackle, Reinach did play a part in turning him over. But I agree with another post that he is a serial dirty player. All I have seen him do in the last few games I've watched is hit stupid late tackles.
    Bismarck's red was definitely deserved.

Glad to see the Waratahs back firing, big win for them!

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/nsw-waratahs-forward-jacques-potgieter-fined-20000-for-homophobic-slurs-against-act-brumbies-20150323-1m5wau.html

NSW Waratahs forward Jacques Potgieter fined $20,000 for homophobic slurs against ACT Brumbies

good to see this kind of thing being highlighted and dealt with strongly

Thought a red for the shoulder charge was a bit harsh, definite yellow though. It didn't look too bad to me but judging by the beast reaction it was.
    I would've taken the TMO's point of view towards Steyn's tackle, Reinach did play a part in turning him over. But I agree with another post that he is a serial dirty player. All I have seen him do in the last few games I've watched is hit stupid late tackles.
    Bismarck's red was definitely deserved.

Glad to see the Waratahs back firing, big win for them!

And the judiciary agreed. Red card "expunged" from the record, and no ban. I give up, I wasn't even remotely close in my guestimates for punishment, well I guess Elliott got 1 week, and I said 2, but otherwise not close.

Bit of a joke tbh when you see how some recent incidents in Ulster and Leinster matches were dealt with. The way Cruden landed was as bad as I've seen a player land in a long time, and if they think Reinach played a part it should be both banned instead of neither.

matthew8 wrote: »
    Bit of a joke tbh when you see how some recent incidents in Ulster and Leinster matches were dealt with. The way Cruden landed was as bad as I've seen a player land in a long time, and if they think Reinach played a part it should be both banned instead of neither.

Honestly, I hate tempting fate, especially in such a perverse way, but one of these days a high-level professional rugby play is going to spend the rest of his days in a wheelchair.

The only blessing is that the tackle didn't involve an Irish rugby player, or this forum would have gone into meltdown mode.

I agree with your comment BTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Something like this more up your street, Swiwi?

tumblr_loi63pc5WZ1qztjn5o1_500.jpg

:pac:

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Something like this more up your street, Swiwi?

:pac:

You've lost me, sorry :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

It's a haircut you can set your watch to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Ah, just seeing now that it was a few days ago, you were givin out about fellas having 'haircuts'. Reminded me of that scene in the Simpsons of Grandpa watching the Superbowl:

Mona: "Abe, isn't Homer cute?"

Grampa: "Probably. I'm trying to watch the Super Bowl. If people don't support this thing, it might not make it."

Howard Cosell: "Joe Willy Namath, swaggering off the field, his sideburns an apogee of sculpted sartorium. The foppish follicles pioneered by Ambrose Burnside, Appomattox 1865."

250px-Joe_Willie_Namath.png

Mona: "His wild, untamed facial hair revealed a new world of rebellion, of change. A world where doors were open for women like me, but Abe was stuck in his button down plastic fantastic Madison Avenue scene."

Grampa: "Look at them sideburns! He looks like a girl. Now, Johnny Unitas, there's a haircut you could set your watch to."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭b.gud

When did Paul Marshall start playing for the Brumbies :eek:

342948.png

• Advertisement

Rebels 12 - 10 up on hurricanes at half time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Good win by the Canes today. 36-12. Their best start to a season ever. Are they finally the real deal??

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Good win by the Canes today. 36-12. Their best start to a season ever. Are they finally the real deal??

They weren't that impressive today but they got the job done in the second half, eventually pullinga way but it should have been a lot closer as the Rebels spent a good 10 minutes consecutively 5m from the Canes tryline when they were leading by 12 from the 60th to 70th minute.

What is very impressive about them though is their defence. In years gone past they have been flaky enough in this aspect but this year they are very hard to score against. They still have to play the Crusaders and Chiefs yet so I'll be reserving judgement until I see how they go in those games.

skippymac6 wrote: »
    They weren't that impressive today but they got the job done in the second half, eventually pullinga way but it should have been a lot closer as the Rebels spent a good 10 minutes consecutively 5m from the Canes tryline when they were leading by 12 from the 60th to 70th minute.

What is very impressive about them though is their defence. In years gone past they have been flaky enough in this aspect but this year they are very hard to score against. They still have to play the Crusaders and Chiefs yet so I'll be reserving judgement until I see how they go in those games.

i actually thought they were very impressive today... the way they altered their game plan to suit the rebels style.
    Remember they were without Barrett, Savea and franks starting as well.

yes it took them a while today to get into their stride, but that was down to the rebels quite effective but one dimension style.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    i actually thought they were very impressive today... the way they altered their game plan to suit the rebels style.
    Remember they were without Barrett, Savea and franks starting as well.

yes it took them a while today to get into their stride, but that was down to the rebels quite effective but one dimension style.

Ah yeah they were very good in what they did I'm not disagreeing with that and the fact that they were without Barrett, Coles and the two Saveas, but if the Rebels score in that period when they are down to 14 and then its a 5 point game and you'd really see what they were made of.

To be fair they have answered every question that has been thrown at them but other than the Force game (and maybe the Blues one too), they have been more workmanlike in their performances against the Lions, Highlanders, Bulls and this morning. I think that bodes well for them though in the long run. I just want to see them play the NZ big two and SA big two and Aussie big two before I make a proper judgement on them. I can't say they haven't improved greatly since last year though and they have answered every question so far that has been thrown against them.

Lions the masters of playing bad teams well done to them. Didn't think the Hurricanes were great this morning, they really got the bounce of the ball but the really impressive thing about them is how good they are in the opposition 22. Two games in a row that's been the basis of their success. They weren't entitled to a bonus point with the starting line up they had out there so credit to them for achieving it.

Naholo brilliant!

Highlanders 24 - 7 at half time

Great bp win for the Highlanders over stormers 39 - 21

That was a great game and the Highlanders were great. Two of the best players on the pitch weirdly were playing for the Stormers. Schalk Berger looks better than ever and Siya Kolisi had a great game too. They can consider themselves unfortunate to be on a losing side given their performances.

If the Highlanders had those two in their pack I think they would be unstoppable.

I fancy the Blues to cause the upset in this game coming up. They haven't been playing badly just some stupid decisions have cost them games but they have a good record against the Waratahs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Blues well in it for a while, Waratahs just too strong in the end

Advertisement