Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Limerick, Working in Shannon

• 06-01-2015 3:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hello guys/girls of Limerick.

I'm considering a job in Shannon and accommodations in Limerick and I have a few questions for you all.

Are Ennis Road or adjacent zones good places to rent in?
    I've been looking on daft/rent.ie for a 1 beedrom but it seems I'll be better off with a 2 bed, price wise at least.

Are there more housing offers that don't appear on the internet and only agents know about?

How much money would I need to have a decent life in Limerick?
    That includes all the monthly stuff(rent, food, internet, a couple of nights out) for two people(me and my SO).

Is public transport reliable between Limerick and Shannon?
    What is the price of a monthly pass?
    How long does it take to commute from Limerick to Shannon? I saw Bus Éireann has a 45ish minute route to Shannon Airport and I am wondering if there are express routes and their price.

I've been doing a bit of research and also read some of the posts here but it seems I can get far more info about Dublin then Limerick. So I've come here to get a better picture as to what it would take for me to make the move.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Ennis Road is fine, very upmarket in parts. Bit boring but has everything, a couple bars, shopping, McD's etc, near city centre.
    How much money you'll need depends on how well you want to live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Shannon is very well served by Bus but lots of people car pool also to Shannon depending where your working that would be an option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Busses are about every hour hour until around 11 at night, so should be handy enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭Alexanderis

Thanks for the info, great stuff so far.

I've been doing some more research on google and I've come up with the following:

Rent: about 700 euros per month for a 1 or 2 bed

Bus: Bus Éireann or JJ Kavanagh & Sons seem OK but I still don't know how much Limerick to Shannon would cost me per month and I'll be new around there so car pooling will be out of the question untill I make some friends.

Assuming renting, food, heal related expenses, cable, internet, mobile phones, transport, going out every now and again, I've come up with a total of 2000 - 2500 euros monthly expenses for two people.

Does that sound right or am I wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Hi,
    Been a while since I took the Bus Eireann Shannon Bus the 343.

Pretty reliable though a tad expensive.

There's no regular monthly tickets as far as I know but rather when I was doing the commute I choice between 2 types:
    -Adult day return = Good for 1 trip and back on the same day
    -Adult 10 journey = As its name suggests it's good for going to and from Shannon x 5 (perfect if you're working 5 days though only valid for use during a period of 7 days)

Both tickets were somewhat expensive when I used them though I can't remember the exact prices I think:
    -Adult day return was between €9 - €10 Euro
    -Adult 10 journey was between €48 - €50 Euro

Prices very slightly depending on where your starting point is e.g. Limerick city centre or somewhere on the commute line closer to Shannon (somewhat cheaper).

You could ask your Employer about possibly getting onboard with Tax Saver tickets which come in monthly or annual variants http://www.taxsaver.ie/.

Does JJ Kavanagh & Sons actually service the industrial estate? (never used them so sort of curious)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Thanks for the info, great stuff so far.

I've been doing some more research on google and I've come up with the following:

Rent: about 700 euros per month for a 1 or 2 bed

Bus: Bus Éireann or JJ Kavanagh & Sons seem OK but I still don't know how much Limerick to Shannon would cost me per month and I'll be new around there so car pooling will be out of the question untill I make some friends.

Assuming renting, food, heal related expenses, cable, internet, mobile phones, transport, going out every now and again, I've come up with a total of 2000 - 2500 euros monthly expenses for two people.

Does that sound right or am I wrong?

You should look at 3 bed houses around the Ennis Road area. Caherdavin, North Circular Road, Ferndale etc You can pay around the same as an apartment.

I don't really keep track of expenses but you seem about right. Really depends on what you want. How cold you get etc? :P For instance I pay 80 per month for tv/internet and phone with UPC. It's a 200Mb connection though.

Advertisement