Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway lad signs for QPR

Options
  • 06-01-2015 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

Galway United wonderkid Ryan Manning has signed for English Premier League club QPR. The transfer fee includes a friendly game between Galway United and QPR next summer

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/galway-youngster-ryan-manning-set-4927683

Galway United youngster Ryan Manning will join Premiership side QPR this week on a two-and-a-half year deal.

Manning, 18, played a huge part in Galway United’s promotion drive last season, scoring seven goals along the way including goals in both play-off games with UCD, and will travel to QPR tomorrow to sign with the London outfit.

Manning and his father Phelim thrashed out the terms of the deal in a pre-Christmas meeting with QPR boss Harry Redknapp and his assistant Les Ferdinand.

And after his new club and former employers Galway United and Mervue United agreed a compensation package the move got the go ahead in the last few days.

Manning says he is thrilled to finally seal his dream move to the Premiership and the left-footed attacker is giving himself six months to adjust to his surroundings and break into the first team squad.

“The two and a half years gives me a bit of time to settle in and hopefully break into the first team,” he said.

“I’ll start with the U-21 team which is their reserve team. I haven’t played in about six weeks, and all of the lads over there are in the middle of their season.

“I have some catching up to do. In my head I have put the first six months to getting used to everything.

“By the start of next season I hope to push on and break into the first team,” said Manning, who has represented Ireland at U-19 grade.

Manning said he was ready to commit to the Tribesmen again this year, but the lure of the Premiership was something he couldn’t ignore.

“I would have done another year with Galway United, I’d love to have played in the Premier Division with them, but the chance came along and you can’t really turn it down.”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Fair play to him! 6 months to break into the first team. He's ambitious!

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Fair play to him! 6 months to break into the first team. He's ambitious!
    It is QPR in fairness.

Which also means he's probably on about £100k a week. Well in.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭badker

well done to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

Fair play to him, I hope he's a huge success.

Meanwhile, Tuam native Rory Gaffney and his new Cambridge United team mates hit the jackpot last night when they drew Manchester United at home in the 4th round of the FA Cup. Cambridge were the lowest ranked team in the hat for last night’s draw and the tie will take place at the R Costings Abbey Stadium on Saturday 24th or Sunday 25th January. http://galwaybayfm.ie/rory-gaffneys-cambridge-utd-drawn-man-united-fa-cup/

Best of luck to the Galway lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Loughrea native Patrick Hoban has signed for Oxford United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Galway native Seamus Connelly signed for Accrington Stanley

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Galway native Seamus Connelly signed for Accrington Stanley
    "Accrington Stanley? Who are dey?"

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

Robbo wrote: »
    "Accrington Stanley? Who are dey?"

Exactly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Fair play and the best luck to him. Looking forward to seeing him at Loftus Road!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Intifada wrote: »
    It is QPR in fairness.

Which also means he's probably on about £100k a week. Well in.

Nice way to wish the lad well.

Classy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

Lapin wrote: »
    Nice way to wish the lad well.

Classy.
    Why would I be wishing him well on an internet message board?

Dope.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Could y'all at least pretend to be mature and civil on this internet message board, it's not a big ask at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

The very best of luck to the lad.
    Hopefully there will be more like him and the investments made in developing youth in clubs like Mervue,Salthill amongst others plus Galway fa will pave the way for many more to follow.
    Hope his previous clubs get compensated properly for their role in his development!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

howyanow wrote: »
    The very best of luck to the lad.
    Hopefully there will be more like him and the investments made in developing youth in clubs like Mervue,Salthill amongst others plus Galway fa will pave the way for many more to follow.
    Hope his previous clubs get compensated properly for their role in his development!

I'm sure cregmore will be well rewarded.

Hopefully they get a good fee and help keep the club growing.
    it probably depends on first team appearances and full caps etc.
    it will be great if he makes the breakthrough and scouts start showing more interest in clubs outside Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 flynn29

As far as I know galway fc and mervue were both compensated not cregmore

flynn29 wrote: »
    As far as I know galway fc and mervue were both compensated not cregmore

if that is the case then I reckon that is very unfair on Cregmore fc,surely all clubs he was at deserve some payment?

Ya agreed. I think galway fc got the compensation but agreed to give a share to mervue.

flynn29 wrote: »
    Ya agreed. I think galway fc got the compensation but agreed to give a share to mervue.

I always thought every club involved in the players development would receive a fee!
    Would be great to see him in the first team as there are not many from the west of Ireland that make it that far in the game.especially when clubs are signing teenagers from all over the world these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

howyanow wrote: »
    I always thought every club involved in the players development would receive a fee!
    Would be great to see him in the first team as there are not many from the west of Ireland that make it that far in the game.especially when clubs are signing teenagers from all over the world these days.

And you would be right.

• Advertisement

Usually that is the case but news in galway said galway fc got all the compensation but agreed to give a fee. If all the clubs he played for were compensated cregmore would have be paid but they werent. With qpr I say he could be loaned. Qprs starting line up average is 28 not much chance for youth

Usually that is the case but news in galway said galway fc got all the compensation but agreed to give a fee. If all the clubs he played for were compensated cregmore would have be paid but they werent. With qpr I say he could be loaned. Qprs starting line up average is 28 not much chance for youth

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Cregmore had to fight to get compensation for greg cunningham and eventually they did. I don't think all clubs get compensation.

Advertisement