Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to uk

• 06-01-2015 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hi all

I am more or less certain I want to move to uk. I am sick of ireland as it's just two small. I have found one perspective job which i'm in the process of applying for, but even if i don't get this one, i feel my job prospects in uk would be better than ireland.
    I have no degree as of yet but feel this is something i might explore if/when i move. I feel I would be able to find a job in customer service or something over there because here they want you to speak 1000000 languages before they'll give you a job.
    My questions are
    Is the job market in uk better than over here?
    Do the english receive the irish well? I would be aiming for north england, so not london or anything like that.
    Is accomidation cheap in the north?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Is the job market in uk better than over here?

What type of job are you looking for?

Do the english receive the irish well? I would be aiming for north england, so not london or anything like that.

I find if you're a nice person, then it doesn't matter where you're from. There's loads done on the relationship between the Irish and English. The north of England tends to be friendlier in my experience. You'll get good and bad everywhere

Is accomidation cheap in the north?

Cheaper than London. Cheaper than Ireland? It depends. The north of England is a very big place.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

People won't care less about you being Irish. Those who would have cared are more interested in eastern europeans coming to steal their jobs, wimmins....

Is accommodation cheap in the north?

It's certainly cheaper though don't know of you'd consider that cheap. A 2 bedroom house in Nottingham (Midlands) will set you back about £550 a month. The same house is £900 outside of London (Slough/Bracknell/Reading)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Don't mean to sound rude, but your post comes across as slightly immature.

You see to think that everything is greener on the other side of the fence, you will find out very quickly that the UL will have its problems for you too.

Of course it will be easier to get a job in the UK than here, simply on the scale of things. Its a much bigger market, there's more jobs available. But don't expect to get any decent job if you don't have many qualifications.

Considering you are on the internet, why not use it to find out the price of accommodation in the 'North'. Get prepared before you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Factor in the level of taxtion you will be on initially until you are issued with a national insurance number - can take six weeks to be issued from securing a job. Takes up to 2 weeks to open a bank account too. To do anything you need proof of address so tenancy agreement before you can get a bank account or NI number. So you should have enough with you or in your Irish account (euro is piss poor at the moment) to do 6 weeks while job hunting etc. If you are lucky and get a job quickly you could end up working a lying month and if not and you are still waiting on the old back account... there are very few places that will pay by work cheque and fewer again that will cash it - it has to be lodged to your bank account when ye get it. Expect things to take longer to get sorted out in England than in Ireland due to the sheer volume of people making similar requests.

Advertisement