Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap point to point solution

Options
  • 06-01-2015 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests, I want to join a workshop to a home broadband router, is there a cheap wireless p2p kit out there i can buy. Tried a wireless range extender and not getting any joy so I would prefer a point 2 point and hang a switch off the other end.

its basically a workshop about 50 meters from the house. I do have a bit of hope as the power to the workshop does go from the box in the house so homeplugs may be the option but I want to have an idea of other options if this does not work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

The best solution would be to run a cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭diarmaidol

While a cable would be a good idea (excluding earthing issues).

Another option would be an outdoors point to point wireless system. this would easily take you the 50M to you Shed. However what speeds are you expecting.

Is there reasonable Line of Sight between the buildings?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

bennyc wrote: »
    As the title suggests, I want to join a workshop to a home broadband router, is there a cheap wireless p2p kit out there i can buy. Tried a wireless range extender and not getting any joy so I would prefer a point 2 point and hang a switch off the other end.

its basically a workshop about 50 meters from the house. I do have a bit of hope as the power to the workshop does go from the box in the house so homeplugs may be the option but I want to have an idea of other options if this does not work.

If your power to the workshop is on the same ring of the house fuse box then the simplest solution is a set of homeplugs with a switch hanging off the homeplug on the workshop end to provide multiple points for connecting extra devices.

I use this myself and have never had an issue with it.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

diarmaidol wrote: »
    While a cable would be a good idea (excluding earthing issues).

Another option would be an outdoors point to point wireless system. this would easily take you the 50M to you Shed. However what speeds are you expecting.

Is there reasonable Line of Sight between the buildings?

Cable is not an option as it would be too low to go over and I dont want to go digging. Its for a mate, any idea on where to source a cheap outdoor p2p setup there is perfect line of sight.
    As I said in the first post I will try home plugs but I have a feeling it may not work as there could be a trip switch in the shed. I have a separate trip switch in my own shed and that blocks homeplugs for me. Its on the same grid as the house but a breaker in the shed seems to block the homeplug.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

RCDs filter the signal out, so if theres one on that tap from the main it'll block it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/UBIQUITI-Networks-NanoStation-Loco-M2/dp/B00I4QK6Q0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420626064&sr=8-1&keywords=ubiquiti+nanostation

The most basic. 2x of them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/UBIQUITI-Networks-NanoStation-M5-2-pack/dp/B00I4QFC1E/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1420626064&sr=8-11&keywords=ubiquiti+nanostation

Pack of two. M2's are 150 on 2.4ghz and the M5s are 300 on 5Ghz so if you want to leave headroom for future increases maybe go for the M5s.

All that said, I'm a P2P noob, you might need to go to a forum that specializes in this stuff to get the most accurate advice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement