Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aftercare for dog after abscess operation

• 06-01-2015 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

My elderly uncle's dog was attacked by another dog at the weekend and he had an abscess in his paw from the bite. This had to be operated on this morning to drain the infection. He's going home today with a shunt and we are going to take him for a few days as my Uncle is scared he won't look after him properly. He also has other dogs in and out from a farm so he might be better off with us until he's better.

Aside from the obvious keep him in, warm, clean etc what else can we do to make sure he is taken care of? Also I'm not sure of the full details yet but will he have to go back to have the shunt removed? It's my Uncle that's collecting him from the Vets, I presume he'll be given an aftercare sheet and medication.

Thanks for any advice, he will be well looked after with us but I want to make sure we do everything right.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Good for you for taking care of the dog post-op
    Does the dog know you/your home? He might be a bit stressed being in a strange place after his op, specially if he is in a bit of pain.
    I would suggest that you bring his own bed with him, and any familiar toys that he had. Maybe ask your uncle for something of his, that would smell of him that you could put in the dogs bed as a familiar smell
    Unless the vet recommends a specific diet, you should bring his usual food with him too - and any drinking/food bowls that he is used to using
    You could maybe get him something like a bit of boiled chicken/rice for the first day or two to help him eat if he is in a strange place and in a bit of pain
    How old is the dog/breed?
    Let us know how you go on
    p.s. if he has to have a post-op cone, that could add to his distress, dont be tempted to take the cone off if so - I guess you will have to see how he settles with you etc

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

Thanks aonb. He's doing well so far. Hates the collar but I expected that. He's mad to get out so that's going to be a job to keep him in. He has no issue with our other dog though so doesn't seem to be in pain. We got him a new bed in case his own was dirty and his favourite toy has come with him, he cried a few times during the night but settled again after a bit of reassuring. The wound looks awful with the shunt coming out of it. But there's only a little bit of fluid coming out, we're keeping an eye out for how much. Back on Saturday to either get it removed or see if it needs to stay in another while.

There was no fact sheet, just told to bathe him in water 3 times a day. We're boiling the water and letting it cool just to be extra careful. And take the anti inflammatories and pain killers.

The wound with the shunt is open and big so I'm trying to keep it as clean as possible, the Vet said Septicemia could set in if it gets infected.

He wouldn't eat for us lastnight but is taking bits of boiled chicken for me this morning so that's good. Drinking loads of water too.

Hopefully he'll be grand, he's my Uncle's little pal so I think I'm more nervous than if it was my dog even. He's being a great little patient though, he's a tough little fella :)

Advertisement