Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasonably-Priced Canon Lens for Athletics Photography…?

• 06-01-2015 5:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

Hi - could anyone recommend a good (but reasonably-priced) Canon lens for athletics photography?

I was thinking of this:

http://www.canon.ie/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/EF_Lenses/EF-S/EF-S_55-250mm_f4-5.6_IS_STM/

Any other thoughts or potential alternatives? I read the discussion in the forum of the Tamron 18-270mm lens which also seemed reasonable. My preference would be for the Canon but that might just be because I've never heard of Tamron!

I'm more of a runner than a photographer, so I'm looking for a decent balance between quality and affordability.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

tell us what canon camera you have. There is no point in getting expensive glass for entry level camera unless you are planing to upgrade camera in future.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,046 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

There is no point in getting expensive glass for entry level camera
    why not? a modern entry level camera would knock a 10 year old professional DSLR into a cocked hat in terms of technical specs, and photographers were getting good shots ten years ago.

why not? a modern entry level camera would knock a 10 year old professional DSLR into a cocked hat in terms of technical specs, and photographers were getting good shots ten years ago.

I mean it purely from economical standpoint. Nowdays entry level camera is very good and so is today's entry level glass. So if keeping cost down is consideration there is no problem with "cheap" glass , it can perform very well.

Now if OP has 5D Mk2/3 i would say go and spend money on top glass to get the best out of the sensor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Thanks guys but as I said I'm much more a runner than a photographer which is why I was thinking of buying the Canon 55-250mm, until I saw the discussion of the Tamron lens.

I have a Canon 1100D camera and I'd rather not spend more than €400-€500.

I only have the 18-55mm lens which doesn't seem to be great for photos of cross-country races, which is what I'm interested in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭manna452121

Have a look at this;http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sigma-18-250mm-3p5-6p3-os-hsm-macro I got one and find it great.

• Advertisement

also check adverts.ie here
    there is often used Canon ef-s 55-250mm for reasonable price

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,046 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

anyway, if you're talking about field athletics, i assume you can get relatively close to the action?
    how close does the 55mm end of your current lens get you to the shots you want? you may not need the jump of a factor of five in focal length that some of the lenses mentioned above would offer.

Thanks for the helpful responses & suggestions!
    anyway, if you're talking about field athletics, i assume you can get relatively close to the action?
    how close does the 55mm end of your current lens get you to the shots you want? you may not need the jump of a factor of five in focal length that some of the lenses mentioned above would offer.

It's more for cross-country and track athletics and, while it might be a question of technique, the reason I'd like to get a longer lens is that I feel I'm a good bit away from the shots I'm looking for with the 18-55m lens. I've looked at other photos similar to the ones I'm interested in taking and they all seem to use the longer lenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

There is a comparison test in the February edition of Photo Plus Canon Edition Magazine featuring 8 Budget Telephoto Zooms,including your preferred Canon 50-250mm, which might be worth having a look. The Tamron SP 70-300 came out top of the class, however it is a little more expensive over the Canon.

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    There is a comparison test in the February edition of Photo Plus Canon Edition Magazine featuring 8 Budget Telephoto Zooms,including your preferred Canon 50-250mm, which might be worth having a look. The Tamron SP 70-300 came out top of the class, however it is a little more expensive over the Canon.

Thanks Pat - based on this and comments elsewhere, I'm going to go for the Tamron.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Sacksian wrote: »
    Thanks Pat - based on this and comments elsewhere, I'm going to go for the Tamron.
    Enjoy it Sacksian, don't forget to post up a few shots up. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Which Tamron? The 18-270 from your OP or the 70-300 mentioned by Pat Dunne?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Thats fair enough but I have the Canon 55-250 and find it a brilliant lens. I have got lots of very good sports images with it from Athletics, G.A.A., Rugby and Motorbike road racing. I did have a Tamron lens which I bought in a sale in a moment of madness and found it very slow to focus.

As Fat fingers says check adverts.ie and most shops like Conns, Berminghams, Gunns and Halls would have some excellent 2nd had lens.

Advertisement