Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better service but retain 01 number?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Mr. G wrote: »
    They were running out of numbers. Is Dublin?

According to a report I read, yes it is.

The numbers aren't just assigned randomly. They're in blocks. Exchanges have blocks, service providers have blocks and PABXs' direct dial allocations tie up and waste lots of number ranges as most of the numbers aren't allocated and can't be.

That's why the numbers run out. If you could just assign every combination randomly, there'd be no issue.

The other alternative is overlaying 01 with an 03 code and using them side by side like they regularly do in the U.S.

It's a bit of a messy solution though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Originally Posted by Johnboy1951 
    Would it not be sufficient for the providers to include the 076 in call bundles?

Would seem to be the simplest solution .... or am I missing something?
    bk wrote:
    076 is more like an area code. I think 0700 personal numbers never worked, Ireland is too small for it but I can see why they've reserved it. 03 isn't in use and might be in the future for this. Or else 1890 will have to go to be included with call bundles.

I don't quite grasp what you mean.
    What I was saying is that presently the likes of Eircom deliberately exclude the 076 numbers from 'bundles'.

Those bundles include all other 'area codes' in the country.

As you say 076 is "more like an area code" so why would it not be easier to force providers to treat it as such, which would mean it would be included in those bundles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

They need a neutral charge "national rate" number.

Something catchy like 0808 XXX XXX might make sense.

It could also be dialled as +353 808 from abroad.

Force the providers to include it as a geographic national rate call that must be included in call bundles.

Local vs national is almost irrelevant in 2015.

Most people just need to know mobile vs landline or that it's included in a call bundle.

Otherwise, businesses will just end up using geographic numbers inappropriately and missing out on useful routing options.

Biggest issue here in Ireland is there's a vast amount of number space dedicated to landlines which will become pretty pointless in a few years anyway.

I also find 076 is confusing from a business point of view.

We briefly used 076 numbering and a lot of potential customers assumed we had relocated to the Northwest.

They know 08xx is mobile or non geographic. 076 being VoIP is really only understood by someone familiar with VoIP or who works for a telco!

We also got complaints as people has received big bills due to bundle exclusion too.

Advertisement