Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Netflix worth it?

• 06-01-2015 6:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭

Do you have a Netflix subscription and do you think it's worth the money?

We got the free month for Christmas but will probably cancel the subscription. There's the occasional gem on it but way too much dross to bother with.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Yes. It is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Yes but only if you proxy and sign up to the american one so you get better selection for cheaper

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It has every film in the world, except for the ones you want to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

thelad95 wrote: »
    Do you have a Netflix subscription and do you think it's worth the money?

We got the free month for Christmas but will probably cancel the subscription. There's the occasional gem on it but way too much dross to bother with.

Definitely worth it. It's the price of one lunch per month for unlimited viewing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

As someone who subscribes the Irish version is not worth it, we also have a vpn to get us the american selection which I would say is worth the cost but they are apparently going to be cracking down on this going forward due to pressure from tv and movie studios.

If that happens ill just go back to streaming and torrenting, the idea of region locking content is an archaic notion some people just refuse to let go of and if they don't want to give me the service im looking for they wont be getting my money either

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

its pretty good. if you are stuck for something to watch there is always something.

check out arrested development if your unsure. one of the best comedies ever.

id keep it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I hear it's good if you like mainstream movies and shows, but if you like anything niche it can be useless. I never bothered with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

TV selection is very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The UK and Ireland one certainly isn't. Signed up for my months free last year just for breaking bad. Paid for a few months afterwards, hardly used it, and got cancelled when I had to cancel my debitcard. Never bothered renewing it after that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Totally agree with raze_them_all. Get the american one, even if just for Friends!

I love finding things I would never think to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I think so but each to their own.. it's deadly for watching on your phone or tablet in bed.

Watching Trailer Park Boys atm...it's fcukin decent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Definitely worth it. It's the price of one lunch per month for unlimited viewing.

I'm a student, so that's a whole weeks lunch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I have the American version and it's definitely worth it. Had it when I lived in ireland too, mainly for breaking bad, and thought it was worth it then too. Maybe the selection on the UK and ireland version isn't as good now? I watch documentaries and TV shows on it mostly and never run out of things to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Nope. It has an extremely poor selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Links234 wrote: »
    I hear it's good if you like mainstream movies and shows, but if you like anything niche it can be useless. I never bothered with it
    I thought it had some fairly niche stuff on it.

I have a subscription for a while and got my moneys worth out of it. I hadn't seen shows like the shield, white collar, Lillehammer, orange is the new black.

If you're not an avid TV watcher and have missed many of the series on Netflix I think it's worth it. If you watch a lot of TV you've probably already seen most of the stuff on there bar the netflix originals, which are pretty decent and worth €7 in their own right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

For its price I'd say it is. I keep seeing people say the selection ain't the greatest on the Irish one but I've always been able to find something to watch, just got through all of Peep Show again.

I also download illegally quite a bit so this makes me feel slightly better about it :P

I think so but each to their own.. it's deadly for watching on your phone or tablet in bed.

Watching Trailer Park Boys atm...it's fcukin decent!

"You know what a **** rope is, Randy? It's a rope covered in ****. The **** acts like grease-the harder you try to hang on the faster you slide down."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

For the want of a better word the uk/ire netflix is CRAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm a bit meh about it. Some good stuff I missed on tv first time around but most of the movies are rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

There's loads of esoteric stuff on it if you go looking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I still get plenty of use out of my sub, kids only have the Irish version on the TV they use and there are loads of kids shows. The choice of various regions definitely adds massively to the value, but still think Irish on its own would just about be worth it, for convenience and reliability sake.

There are lots of niche films and series too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

There's a well known Android app that does the same thing for free and has an extensive range.

Netflix is dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

ScumLord wrote: »
    I thought it had some fairly niche stuff on it.

the anime selection is extremely poor as far as I've seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

MugMugs wrote: »
    There's a well known Android app that does the same thing for free and has an extensive range.

Netflix is dead.

It is said :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Roquentin wrote: »
    "You know what a **** rope is, Randy? It's a rope covered in ****. The **** acts like grease-the harder you try to hang on the faster you slide down."

Love the show.

Ricky = "Don't you have some off's to ****?"

Lahey = "What"

Ricky = "**** Off!!!"

:cool:

Love the show.

Ricky = "Don't you have some off's to ****?"

Lahey = "What"

Ricky = "**** Off!!!"

:cool:

randy and his cheeseburgers:D

between that, arrested development, breaking bad, orange is the new black, peep show its worth getting netflix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Watched all of "It's always Sunny in Philadelphia" on Netflix and felt that it was worth the money just for that show.

Haven't an account since I replaced my debit card.

Seriously considering cancelling my Sky subscription and moving to online viewing. If I do so, Netflix will play a part in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭malibu4u

there is enough else to watch on tv. Go out and get some exercise!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Danae1

Had the irish one, changed to the american one (as did sister!) and both swapped to paddyflix now....neither of us would ever go back now tbh! Love that little white box..... well worth €100 a year! Kids love the tv series and I LOVE LOVE LOVE my movies.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I can swap between US, Canada, South America, Netherlands and Denmark/Norway/Sweeden so it is worth it. Wouldn't bother with just the Irish one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

For the want of a better word the uk/ire netflix is CRAP.

Hmm, let's see.

Breaking Bad,
    House of Cards,
    Orange in the New Black.
    The Shield.
    Scrubs.
    Stargate,
    Star Trek TNG.
    Andromeda.
    Dr Who.
    Sherlock.
    White Collar.
    Covert Affairs.
    Criminal Minds.
    Archer
    Always Sunny in Philadelphia
    etc.

I think people have an unrealistic expectation for Netflix. It's a library, not something for the latest releases. Though it will inevitably garner a few of them. It's also startling how many people dismiss Netflix because it doesn't have the "big" primetime shows. There's still plenty of other quality shows being produced.

It's only €8 a month and people expect the latest episode of Games of Thrones or the Big Bang Theory or a movie that's not less than six months old.

Then if you have a VPN you're spoiled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

Until they really get stuff like HBO programs and all that on it, I won't be bothered.

I remember ages ago, I got a free trial with it. I was extremely underwhelmed. I searched for generic films like The Terminator, Aliens, etc. and it had none of them. I'm sure that's changed now, but at the time that put me right off.

I haven't bothered with it, but I might in the future

Turtwig wrote: »
    Hmm, let's see.

Breaking Bad,
    House of Cards,
    Orange in the New Black.
    The Shield.
    Scrubs.
    Stargate,
    Star Trek TNG.
    Andromeda.
    Dr Who.
    Sherlock.
    White Collar.
    Covert Affairs.
    Criminal Minds.
    Archer
    etc.

I think people have an unrealistic expectation for Netflix. It's a library, not something for the latest releases. Though it will inevitably garner a few of them. It's also startling how many people dismiss Netflix because it doesn't have the "big" primetime shows. There's still plenty of other quality shows being produced.

It's only €8 a month and people expect the latest episode of Games of Thrones or the Big Bang Theory or a movie that's not less than six months old.

i agree with you, but they cant get HBOs stuff because they are competitors

marco polo as well which is watchable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Hmm, let's see.

Breaking Bad,
    House of Cards,
    Orange in the New Black.
    The Shield.
    Scrubs.
    Stargate,
    Star Trek TNG.
    Andromeda.
    Dr Who.
    Sherlock.
    White Collar.
    Covert Affairs.
    Criminal Minds.
    Archer
    etc.

People do have a habit of expecting stuff that is in the cinema to be on it. People need to realise it is more of an online DVD collection.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

If you get the american version yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

It's good if you haven't seen any telly in years. But if you're up to date with what you want to see then there's nothing on it.

And the user interface really annoys me. There could be loads of gems there but I can't see pass the dross to find them! If the customization options were better it would appeal a lot more to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

In comparison to other services available 7 quid a month is a steal.

If you are looking for movies don't bother. Netflix is mainly about the TV.

All the star treks. All the law and orders (May be missing some now). Breaking bad. House of cards. There is loads on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

JaseHeath wrote: »
    Until they really get stuff like HBO programs and all that on it, I won't be bothered.

They'll never get HBO stuff unless it's co-produced with another station e.g Rome HBO/BBC. HBO's current model is very specific. HBO barely even care how much GoT is pirated. You'll never get something like TBBT or GoT on something like Netflix because quite simply those shows are money makers. Releasing them to a streaming service would impact the bottom line of dvd sales. So, unless Netflix/Amazon can compensate significantly HBO/CBS wouldn't even consider letting those shows be streamed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

It tries to guess what you like. I watched Zombieland, an admittedly good comedy but because I watched that, it recommended loads of Eddie Murphy and Adam Sandler crap 'comedies'.

They are beginning to produce their own TV series and are jumping on cancelled shows so that could be promising but their is just so much rubbish to trawl through before you get to the good stuff. That's what's frustrating.

• Advertisement

They'll never get HBO stuff unless it's co-produced with another station e.g Rome HBO/BBC. HBO's current model is very specific. HBO barely even care how much GoT is pirated. You'll never get something like TBBT or GoT on something like Netflix because quite simply those shows are money makers. Releasing them to a streaming service would impact the bottom line of dvd sales. So, unless Netflix/Amazon can compensate significantly HBO/CBS wouldn't even consider letting those shows be streamed.

thats why they are going about producing their own shows. cant wait to see sense8 and narcos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Aren't they now deciding to ban accounts that use American dns codes?

For the American one, it's worth it. For the uk one, it's okay, I pay for it, but wouldn't be overly enthused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Hola Unblocker On, Hola Unblocker Off, best of both worlds... you're welcome btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

If you get the american version yes

What's the best Proxy site to use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

They're about to launch their own online-only subscription service anyway, and already have a partnership with Amazon
    HBO announced that it would launch an over-the-top version of HBO GO in 2015; it will be distributed as a stand-alone subscription service that will not require an existing television subscription to use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

I would actually think the opposite of this. I changed my DNS so I could access the US one and the amount of South Korean films on it was brilliant.

That DNS stopped working and since then I dont use it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭coolkidirish

Definitely worth it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Big user of Netflix, I think it's fantastic. Have a VPN set up but honestly I hardly ever use it, the Irish one gives me what I want 99% of the time.

It's important to know that you shouldn't go on Netflix expecting a certain film to be on it - it's for browsing on and trying something new. So if you want to watch a specific film every time - you'll be disappointed, Netflix doesn't work like that. If you're open minded about what you want to watch on a particular night - it's brilliant.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's good but you have to remember that it doesn't get content until it comes out on DVD usually. TV show episodes aren't added episode by episode after they are aired on TV.

So for things like Walking Dead if you watch it on Netflix you will be a long way behind the TV.

For shows Netflix produce themselves (e.g. House of Cards) they also release all the episodes at the same time for a season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

It's worth it for sure. I have found some great movies from it. The quality is really good as well.

And if you get banned from from a particular sure, you can use hula unblocker to pretend you are posting from the hills of Turkmenistan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement