Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Netflix worth it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

awec wrote: »
    It's good but you have to remember that it doesn't get content until it comes out on DVD usually. TV show episodes aren't added episode by episode after they are aired on TV.

They do that for some shows afaik. Just depends oon what sort of licencing agreement they have with rights owners.

Breaking Bad episodes were added the day after they aired in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭phobia2011

where do i get one of these vpn or dns setups, i had netflix and thought it was grand, got addicted to orange is the new black!!! watched 2 seasons in a week!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

icon256.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Honestly I pay for netflix but hardly watch it. I pirate nearly everything. I even pirate netflix shows. :)

I only pay for it because I want to see services like it get better so I don't need to pirate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I love it for binge watching shows in the last few weeks I've watched the first three seasons of American Horror Story and all of House.LAst night I watched War Horse.

Some may not like it but it does well for me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I disagree that expecting that tv shows airing that week be available is asking too much, as they get it in the states via services such as hulu etc which are just not available here.

Im gonna watch them via a pirated stream or torrent simply because I cant pay to watch them anywhere else for at least 6 months in the rare cases and for the majority well over a year yet in the states they have this service readily available.

If the tv companies and movie studios are gonna treat me as a second class consumer simple cus of where i live and don't think my money is worth the bother of providing a similar service that US customers get then they can go fvck themselves and I will pirate away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

the problem i have is i have too much to watch. currently watching peep show, Orange is the new Black S2, marco polo, trailer park boys

tv is dead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Better Call Saul will be available on Netflix the morning after it airs in the US, much like they did with the final season of Breaking Bad, I do fear that if they continue to block VPN type services and increase prices, they will lose a lot of subscribers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Kodi is all you need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Macker2001

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I have the American version and it's definitely worth it. Had it when I lived in ireland too, mainly for breaking bad, and thought it was worth it then too. Maybe the selection on the UK and ireland version isn't as good now? I watch documentaries and TV shows on it mostly and never run out of things to watch.

Can you tell me how to get the American mine is from the US but says I'm travelling so gives me the Irish one. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I watched all 6 seasons of The Nanny on Netflix during the time I should have been researching my thesis.

Totally worth the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Bootros Bootros

I'd pay twice as much to legitimately access the world content for Netflix. Instead I have to cheat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Kodi is all you need.

Amen brother. Never miss out on a thing again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Bootros Bootros

Let's not forget their excellent original content - house of cards and bojack etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Macker2001 wrote: »
    Can you tell me how to get the American mine is from the US but says I'm travelling so gives me the Irish one. Thanks.

I live in the US. It defaults to the UK one when I visit home too.

You have to use a vpn I think to access the American content from ireland. I'm someone more knowledgable about that could explain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Aren't they now deciding to ban accounts that use American dns codes?

For the American one, it's worth it. For the uk one, it's okay, I pay for it, but wouldn't be overly enthused.

No one of the top people from Netflix was on Newstalk, on a report from Las Vegas at the tech summit. She said the story is not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

awec wrote: »
    It's good but you have to remember that it doesn't get content until it comes out on DVD usually. TV show episodes aren't added episode by episode after they are aired on TV.

So for things like Walking Dead if you watch it on Netflix you will be a long way behind the TV.

For shows Netflix produce themselves (e.g. House of Cards) they also release all the episodes at the same time for a season.

Depends, Thee 100 and Breaking Bad were being added as each episode aired. They can make deals sometimes for that kind of thing. I would be willing to pay more if they did that for most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Its good for the short term.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I live in the US. It defaults to the UK one when I visit home too.

You have to use a vpn I think to access the American content from ireland. I'm someone more knowledgable about that could explain!

I use tunnelbear which you have to pay for but it allows you to access the netflix version using your irish account, no need to setup a US one when using a vpn its just about where it thinks you are, also it gets you into BBC iplayer if you want as its got a UK setting to

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I find it definitely worth it. You can get a lot of things on it if you use a VPN and vary your location. I use this site too which allows you to search for a title and then shows you which countrys netflix that title is available in. For example if I search for "the departed" and click on the netflix logo on its search result, I can see that switching to an Austrian VPN will let me watch it on netflix. UK and Ireland selection is poor though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I thought OITNB was really overrated. I hardly ever use it now, load of ****e on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mongie

Cancelled my subscription last month. Was only worth it for the boxset type stuff and once I started scraping the barrel watching some Criminal Minds spinoff I knew it was time to quit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I love it, the original content is excellent. It's more about the handiness for me as well, if I'm watching a series, I know I don't have to go looking for links or loading up episodes, it's pretty much just one click and I'm watching what I want to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The Canadian version is the best one. Get that it you can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Get the chrome extension hola and you can select what country you're watching from - you just install it and when you go to Netflix you can select the US flag / Canadian flag etc. It works for bbc player too. Its the best extension ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

NetFlix with VPN's to access other regions = Good :)
    NetFlix have recently announced they will stop people from accessing other regions soon = Bad :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

NetFlix with VPN's to access other regions = Good :)
    NetFlix have recently announced they will stop people from accessing other regions soon = Bad :(

They are going to try but they would be stupid to do it properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I share a subscription with 2 family members , so 3 of us using 1 account , how can u go wrong !! Its all within the rules , I think you can have up to 5 logins at a time . my brother in law pays for it and I buy him a pint or a coffee now and again , my 5 year old daughter gives him loads of hugs and thanks him for kids programs on tap .

There's a good few gems on there ' breaking bad , great documentrys , inbetweeners .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I signed up for Netflix a few months after it became available on these shores (which is what, two and a half year's ago) and since then I have watched:

7 Seasons of the US Office
    1 Season of Heroes
    All of Gavin and Stacey
    All of Rome
    3 Seasons of Dexter
    4 Seasons of House
    1 Season of The Killing (Danish version)
    All of The Inbetweeners
    2 Seasons of Modern Family

Films I've enjoyed watching on it include Up, Wall-E, Reservoir Dogs, Oldboy, To Catch a Thief, Youth in Revolt, The Thin Blue Line.

It's worth noting two things here: I don't use a VPN so this content was all available on the Irish version and I'm only including content I hadn't seen before and which I really enjoyed (also, it's hard to remember all the movies you've watched though I mostly used it for TV).

I think whether it's worth it depends on what you're own viewing habits and preferences are. I don't have a TV but if you're sharing with others maybe a UPC or Sky deal works out cheaper and you get more content. Or if you go to the movies a lot you might have seen stuff before it hits Netflix.

I think people complain about the library too much; there's tonnes of content. I don't think the interface for presenting it is great. I just added a load of stuff to My List there which will hopefully make it easier to select stuff in future; 30 things in total 6 of which are TV shows with several seasons.

Also, if you're going to compare it to illegally downloading whatever you like what's the point? Of course the selection there is better than anything you're going to pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stoutykid

Stupid question, not good with this stuff but if I hide vpn, where is the option on Netflix to change region

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

They are going to try but they would be stupid to do it properly.

I know.
    Let's be honest NetFlix don't care if people access the other regions. They are still getting the monly subscription off people. But the story goes movie companies are putting pressure on NetFlix to stop it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

stoutykid wrote: »
    Stupid question, not good with this stuff but if I hide vpn, where is the option on Netflix to change region

If you use UnBlock-US there's an option on their main page to select region

http://www.unblock-us.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Anyone know how to send the American version to a chromecast :confused:

My phone doesn't seem to be casting the American version, I'm guessing it's the chromecast is the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I use Netflix with the Unblockus VPN. This basically lets me set my region to any of the available (UK, America, Canada, Sweden, Brazil etc.) and then view that version of Netflix on any device connected to my network.

It's a fantastic system and I have it parked on the US version permanently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Can I just add, since I got Netflix I love just browsing films , reading story lines and taking chance on films I never heard of , just like I did as a child browsing in video shop . I found a few great films ........a few sh1te ones

My phone doesn't seem to be casting the American version, I'm guessing it's the chromecast is the problem.

Its do do with the VPN if that's the way your doing it, it causes a conflict when you try to cast, only way to do it is to set the VPN up on the router and not the casting device but not familiar with this process or what's required

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I personally think that even if you use only irish netflix it's still worth 7.99eu per month.
    I don't have actual irish channels so after work I just watch netflix. There are a lot of good tv series, stand up stuff and all sort of movies.
    Lately they started adding more anime, which is great. I am not anime junky, but I gave it a shot to few series and it's fun.

I still use American netflix on my pc, but even without it, it's still good value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

I've only started to get into Homeland, went onto American Netflix and they didnt have it. Went onto the irish one and they have the 3 seasons...I still only pay 6.99 for Netflix a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

VinLieger wrote: »
    Its do do with the VPN if that's the way your doing it, it causes a conflict when you try to cast, only way to do it is to set the VPN up on the router and not the casting device but not familiar with this process or what's required

Just been googling it, looks like it's possible alright but unsure if worth the effort.

I'll make do with earphones in tablet in bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Can I just add, since I got Netflix I love just browsing films , reading story lines and taking chance on films I never heard of , just like I did as a child browsing in video shop . I found a few great films ........a few sh1te ones

You should subscribe to the Netflix recommendations thread if you haven't already: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056557341&page=276.

Nice way to keep up to date with content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

If you're wondering what is coming to the UK Netflix or what has been recently added, this site will show you (Flixfilm), and this one will show you what is being pulled from it soon (Last Chance).

I'm still working my way through some stuff on the UK one, although have seen what is available on the US, Canadian and Brazilian versions and they have an incredible amount of content!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Netflix is well worth it as regards world cinema and foreign films, aswell as some excellent documentaries and independent films that you may never hear off, let alone get a chance to view on your TV or sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

You cant unless you have a router you can mod. The chromecast is hardcoded with Googles DNS servers so unblock US wont work.

I love Netflix. A ridiculous amount of content for really very little money. I use all regions but even just the UK/Irish one is well work the price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I've said many times before that it's crap.

people say it's for browsing and to search for other stuff other than what's on the main screen.

But how can I search for stuff I haven't seen or search for stuff I don't know about.

If they just put an A-Z listing it would be a lot better for finding new stuff. I can look one sure but I want the option in the app

0ph0rce0 wrote:
    one
    Online. not one. ****ing auto correct

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    I've said many times before that it's crap.

people say it's for browsing and to search for other stuff other than what's on the main screen.

But how can I search for stuff I haven't seen or search for stuff I don't know about.

If they just put an A-Z listing it would be a lot better for finding new stuff. I can look one sure but I want the option in the app

How does making it alphabetical make it any easier, unless only shows beginning with A appeal to you. Your problem is "you don't know how to search for stuff you haven't seen or stuff you don't know about" , the starting letter is going to make f*ck all difference to that. You still won't have seen it, or heard about it regardless of what letter it starts with.

How does making it alphabetical make it any easier, unless only shows beginning with A appeal to you. Your problem is "you don't know how to search for stuff you haven't seen or stuff you don't know about" , the starting letter is going to make f*ck all difference to that.

I'd have to disagree

If it just gave me an A-Z list with a little description beside all the content when you scroll through. I'm sure I'd find it a lot easier to choose something to watch.

You put the letter A in search and about 7 things come up. But there's probably hundreds of TV/Movies on it that start with the letter A I don't know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaDerv

Download the Hola extension for chrome and set it to different countries. America primarily gets the best selesction. I have read reports that they are planning on clamping down on this though. Worst case scenario you lose your subscription.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

Sometimes I think it is, other times I don't. You have to be able to add extra regions and that's added cost and then you need a device to get it playing on your TV.
    Bought a Roku 3 and then realised that it was fook all use for different Netflix regions, so I'm stuck with one, unless I want to plug a laptop in.

If you're stuff on one region, it's not worth it. Hulu is horrible as well, far too many ads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭SheldonC17

Sometimes I think it is, other times I don't. You have to be able to add extra regions and that's added cost and then you need a device to get it playing on your TV.
    Bought a Roku 3 and then realised that it was fook all use for different Netflix regions, so I'm stuck with one, unless I want to plug a laptop in.

If you're stuff on one region, it's not worth it. Hulu is horrible as well, far too many ads.

Get yourself an adblocker?

• Advertisement
Advertisement