Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling stores

• 06-01-2015 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Would you recommend a local cycling store or a big brand store such as Halfords etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Prepare to be inundated with answers which will not recommend halfords.
    Did you mention what you are looking for?
    To buy a bike, but components or accessories, get a bike serviced?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 330ml

It would be to buy my first road bike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

A local bike shop so. You'll get people who know what they're talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I'd go with a proper bike store. Although those Carrera Boardman and Kona bikes Halfords sell are OK though. Maybe assemble it yourself and get a proper bike store to check it over for you if you saw something there you liked. I'd still personaly prefer to buy from a proper bike store though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Any word on a release date for these bikes.

I don't think Halfords is as bad as it once was I've been in a couple where they have bike mechanics that have come from smaller lesser known lbs that have closed down.

OP it might help if you let folks know where you're based or at least province.

1411134045189-1e60nwjj9llue-700-80.jpg

• Advertisement

iwillhtfu wrote: »

I don't think Halfords is as bad as it once was I've been in a couple where they have bike mechanics that have come from smaller lesser known lbs that have closed down.

Im in south county dublin. I was looking at road bikes in halfords in carrickmines

You're spoiled for choice so. Have you a budget in mind? Bike to work available?

Fitzcycles in stillorgan/hollingsworth cycles/cycle superstore tallaght/wheel worx fonthill clondalkin to name but a few.

Cycle super store will give you a good idea of variety. I'd look at taking a spin out there. Don't rush into it though as you go along you'll see the differences between one and the other. It's a good time to buy now as you can pick up some bargains on last years bikes.

You're spoiled for choice so. Have you a budget in mind? Bike to work available?

Fitzcycles in stillorgan/hollingsworth cycles/cycle superstore tallaght/wheel worx fonthill clondalkin to name but a few.

Cycle super store will give you a good idea of variety. I'd look at taking a spin out there. Don't rush into it though as you go along you'll see the differences between one and the other. It's a good time to buy now as you can pick up some bargains on last years bikes.

Id be looking to spend a maximum of €700. Ive been to afew stores but Halfords seem to have cheaper bikes

They're on the Halfords.ie web site with pricing.

330ml wrote: »
    cheaper bikes

Cheap can have many a meaning and not always a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 kev1986

do some research on line first there is mountains of info and that will point you in the right direction and then see if your local shop has the bike you like where you could try or buy there, but at the same time there is some serious bargains to be had online this time of year
    if you dont mind a 2014 model.
    Prepare to have your head melted with the choice on offer if you do decide to buy online

Id be looking to spend a maximum of €700. Ive been to afew stores but Halfords seem to have cheaper bikes

Make sure you compare like with like in prices, things like the model of gears and the frame and fork material can make a big difference in a bike, so study the full spec. It's worth doing some research to understand what a groupset is and the relative merits / demerits of each of them (you will see terms like Tiagra, or Sora or Claris (or on many halfords bikes tourney). Which one you pick will make a material difference to the price and to your enjoyment of your bike,but compare like for like.

Also bear in mind that yu may have haggle room with a local bike shop especially at this time of year if you take a 2014 model.

I think it's worthwhile researching and understanding the terminology. I took an age studying what all this lingo meant and comparing bikes before buying my first road bike last year, but am thrilled with it. People on here were helpful in answering questions and giving advice, so do ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

If you want second hand you could get a decent bike for that price. Bike to work wouldn't apply though.

Orion wrote: »
    If you want second hand you could get a decent bike for that price. Bike to work wouldn't apply though.

Wouldnt have much knowledge about bikes so wouldnt want to buy a bike second hand that could need some work to it. or am i wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Buy youre bike in a bikeshop,not a bloody car parts place that happens to have a bike section.And do a bit of research,halfords bike assembly is mentioned on the web,most of it negative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Cheap can have many a meaning and not always a good thing.

Agreed.

Don't confuse 'cheap' with 'value for money' - the latter is the most desirable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

to echo a lot of what is said above - you will get better advice in a dedicated bike shop, so if you're spending the not inconsiderable sum of €700, you want good advice on what is best to get.
    even something as simple as bike fit can make a serious difference; and someone who works in a bike shop and is almost certainly an enthusiast will probably give you better advice than halfords, where (i suspect it is fair to assume) most of the staff members are not keen cyclists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

What you might not realise is that there are dozens of bike manufacturers, mostly based in Taiwan. Each bike manufacturer will have a number of models. These dozens of makes/models are mostly bolted together from parts supplied by big gear, wheel, frame, handlebar, saddle, chain manufacturers.
    So a cheap bike might have the cheapest gears, wheels, frame, handlebars, saddle, chain. It might seem like a great bargain.

A good idea might be to look at bicycles on online websites like chainreactioncycles (Northern Ireland), wiggle (UK), cyclesuperstore (Ireland), and compare each model in a range with the others in the range (e.g. Cube) to educate yourself. If you know someone with a bike (or bikes) ask them for advice.

diomed wrote: »
    A good idea might be to look at bicycles on online websites like chainreactioncycles (Northern Ireland), wiggle (UK), cyclesuperstore (Ireland), and compare each model in a range with the others in the range (e.g. Cube) to educate yourself. If you know someone with a bike (or bikes) ask them for advice.

Bikes between €450 and €800 on wiggle
    and on chainreactioncycles

And locally in Cyclesuperstore
    This will give you an idea of what to compare against, then you have infomred choice when tlking to local bike shop and reference to compare halford's prices to.

BTW wiggle have a helpful intro/jargon buster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭Gers_punto

1411134045189-1e60nwjj9llue-700-80.jpg

they are available already, albeit as a special order through head office at the moment

• Advertisement
Advertisement