Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC box jumps to on demand/player

• 06-01-2015 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

For over a year now my UPC box jumps to player on RTE, TV3, Disney, UTV etc without pressing any buttons on remote....really really frustrating and it can happen 3 or 4 times in a row which means i also lose any paused content by having to change channel to come out of player - anybody else with same issue?

Have asked UPC repeatedly to fix this but all they say is that its a "platform issue" blah blah blah......but it doesnt stop them charging me for a poor service.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭bobgaf

I have encountered the same issue on the standard recorder box ( non-Horizon ). The player functionality is regularly activated on certain channels without pressing anything on the remote and this causes problems with live pause. The advice from UPC was to try a factory reset on the box which I have not tried yet. The annoying thing is that this is a problem that they introduced with software updates as it was not always an issue but they seem either unable or unwilling to fix it. Have also seen issues with the EPG failing to load, it hangs. Time to look at other providers methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

There is a thread about this on the UPC "Talk to" forum. The UPC rep claims they have engineers looking into the issue.
    It's been happening to me now for months at this stage. Just another pain in the a$$ when trying to use the service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Happening with me too. They obviously changed something and I with they would actually try to sort it!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭scanlanavia

I complained bitterly about this issue too citing UPC and Mr Ruschitsko's utter contempt for his customers.
    I could barely tolerate RTE anymore due to player issue.
    They finally relented and uploaded some beta SW to my non horizon box.
    it seems to have worked. touch wood.
    ill no for sure after a few days.
    The set top box has a well documented chequered history by a company with very chequered history of service problems.

Am I happy? absolutely not. UPC Ireland are a disgrace to thier owning company Liberty Global BV.
    in protest to crap service we have decided to dump the telephone .... which was surplus to needs to be quite honest.
    TV service is adequate. slow resp time from remote control. Guide is unusable. all menus are lethargic.... like the company.
    Broadband at least is stable for now.. but I wont be letting a UPC anywhere near my equipment until it rots.... the less they touch it. the better off you are.

they're customer sucks for sure.
    usual mantra. engibeers are working in the problem. evidently accirding to other posts here. this player issue has been affecting some for years...

recommendation. complain like hell and demand quality ... and rebates for sub stsndard service....dont believe the upc website of bogus service awards...

its complete nonsense.

upc are bad value for money plain and simple

Note to UPC. Dont yoy dare private message me.

Be warned for your next cock up. I will waiting..

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭scanlanavia

UPDATE on this 9th January 2015;
    No change, no improvement. the On Demand Menus are still popping up !
    UPC??? are you listening ???? or are your engineers still stairing your bogus Wonderful Awards on your Website....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

UPDATE on this 9th January 2015;
    No change, no improvement. the On Demand Menus are still popping up !
    UPC??? are you listening ???? or are your engineers still stairing your bogus Wonderful Awards on your Website....

This On-Demand issue is actually turning out to be the deal breaker on remaining a UPC Customer for me.

I am a long term NTL/UPC Customer and to be honest,I have had very few issues over the past two decades+.
    However,last year's price hike was the first time I resorted to haggling and was lucky enough to negotiate a significantly lower package price.
    I am not a natural haggler,and far prefer my suppliers to have a realistic and justifiably set service rate.

I have made initial contact and was made a provisional "6 Month 50% Off-Remainder at full whack" offer,which to be honest sounds like a flim-flam job.

In the interim,for the first time ever,I actually entertained a Sky-Tv rep who left me his sales-pitch and is returning early next week.

I have also arranged a Saorview/Sat installer call with a view to getting a price on the once-off option,all of these actions prompted by this renegotiation of contract nonsense.

The On-Demand issue is now constant and the cause of major friction amongst my TV watching family,who are clamouring for it to be fixed.

I feel the business ethos of UPC has shifted somewhat over the past 12 months,and that shift may well see the company lose a significant number of regularly paying long-term customers.

Whether or not Stephen Ruschitzko has yet got a handle on this is a moot point,but I fear the eventual result of his failing to grasp the concept of looking after loyal,steady long-term customers,will be his own Job being up for grabs......:rolleyes:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement