Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idea for website

Options
  • 06-01-2015 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

So i have an idea for a website. I have looked around and cant seem to find a similar one around. But i have on how to get from idea to.. Well everything else. Any one have points or tips

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

trixychic wrote: »
    So i have an idea for a website. I have looked around and cant seem to find a similar one around. But i have on how to get from idea to.. Well everything else. Any one have points or tips

First off get some quotes to get the job done, and talk to enterprise Ireland about grants.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

is there a reason why it hasn't been done before? have you surveyed the target market? does it solve a need/problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

Buttercake wrote: »
    is there a reason why it hasn't been done before? have you surveyed the target market? does it solve a need/problem?

I think it does and i think the reason it hasnt been done yet is a lack of time or knowledge in the target areas.

Edited to add- it is defo a problem in my area that could be easily solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Edited to add- it is defo a problem in my area that could be easily solved.

If it's that much of a niche then
    a) there's probably someone doing it as part of a larger package
    b) it's been done and failed because the niche isn't large enough for it to generate enough money.

So be careful and take time to investigate.

Honestly i live in quite a rural area. It wouldnt surprise me if its never been done. Its not a huge service but a simple basic one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Honestly i live in quite a rural area. It wouldnt surprise me if its never been done. Its not a huge service but a simple basic one.

Is it scalable or is it likely to be something that a few people will find very handy but there really isn't a huge market for?

jimmii wrote: »
    Is it scalable or is it likely to be something that a few people will find very handy but there really isn't a huge market for?

I think its a viable project but again i am not an expert. This is why i am asking for help. I will discuss all that with whoever can help obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Is it a problem caused by the likes of Tesco, Aldi and lidl coming into rural towns and the main street shops closing down?

Buttercake wrote: »
    Is it a problem caused by the likes of Tesco, Aldi and lidl coming into rural towns and the main street shops closing down?

No nothing like that. Its more to do with the community and its children.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Are people going to be prepared to pay for it or do you plan on using some form of advertising to fund it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I'd be wary if it hasn't been done before and if there's no clear revenue possibility.

If there's little revenue but strong community benefit to it, then it may be a good "social entrepreneur" type project and worth doing if you're not looking to make a living from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Are you planning on making money from it or are you selflessly solving a local problem? If its primarily a problem in rural areas then you are talking about a much smaller potential customerbase.

Put it like this, add up how many schools are in your area, then add up how many children are in each school. Multiply that number by 10 (euros). Before you spend any money that is the maximum return you are going to get. Maybe thats the maximum return a month, or maybe its the maximum a week, but start off with a one off payment. Is that sum worth your time and effort?

Ok thanks. I think im getting a feel for it now. Like i said its still just an idea. I was just looking into what would need to be done. Really appreciate the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭guitarrrszz

smash wrote: »
    If it's that much of a niche then
    a) there's probably someone doing it as part of a larger package
    b) it's been done and failed because the niche isn't large enough for it to generate enough money.

So be careful and take time to investigate.

+1 to this

Advertisement